GWT Developer plugin For IE installation problem

othman

Jan 17, 2011, 12:07:10 PM1/17/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi there,
I'm using a windows 7 (32 bit) box with IE8 and i'm having issues
installing GWT Developer plugin For IE.
I get the following error message: "Installer download failed. Error
code = 0x80072efe "
the installer stays stuck at the "downloading plugin" stage.

i've made sure my windows 7 firewall is off and also turned off my
antivirus program but still same problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Fabio Valbuena

Jan 18, 2011, 12:02:15 PM1/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
hey Othman

0x80072efe error is related to connectivity issues. more specifically,
"ERROR_INTERNET_CONNECTION_ABORTED 12030 The connection with the
server has been terminated". it can be an intermittent issue,
something with your firewall/proxy. could you please verify your
connectivity? have you tried to install/download other stuff? windows
updates? also, if possible, make sure you have all windows updates.

let us know how it goes.

On Jan 17, 12:07 pm, othman <othmanelmou...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
> I'm using a windows 7 (32 bit) box withIE8and i'm having issues

othman

Jan 18, 2011, 1:13:41 PM1/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
thanks fabio,
my Internet connection is fine. i can browse the web. I disabled
firewall and antivirus when trying to install the plugin.
My windows 7 updates are installed automatically as scheduled and the
windows update seems to be fine too.
what else should i check? could it be related to IE version 8 ? what
verifications should i do in my system to be sure noting is blocking
the plugin installation?
thanks

Fabio Valbuena

Jan 18, 2011, 1:36:05 PM1/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
One thing you can check is if you have installed any external popup
blocker, anti-virus, etc.

did it work before? is it possible that IE is asking for some
confirmation (a yellow bar under the address bar) and somehow you
don't see/answer it? then the server will likely reset the connection
after a while if you dont respond.

to get you going, try clicking on this link and save to the disk:
https://dl-ssl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D%7B9a5e649a-ec63-4c7d-99bf-75adb345e7e5%7D%26lang%3Den%26appname%3DGWT%2520Developer%2520Plugin%2520for%2520IE%2520%2528x86%2529%26needsadmin%3Dfalse/gwt/plugins/ie/GwtDevPluginSetup.exe

then run the installer.

othman

Jan 18, 2011, 2:01:28 PM1/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I closed all running programs , turned off firewall and antivirus then
run the file in link you provided but i got same error!
I went to windows services and noticed there is a "Google update
service" which status is set to automatic. when i tried starting this
"google update servic"e i got an error "couldn't start service. error
2: couldn't find specified file". could this be the problem?
I have Chrome & firefox browsers installed too.
I have no clue why the installer gets blocked in download phase.
something seems blocking the installer from downloading the plugin but
i can't figure it out.

On Jan 18, 6:36 pm, Fabio Valbuena <fabio...@google.com> wrote:
> One thing you can check is if you have installed any external popup
> blocker, anti-virus, etc.
>
> did it work before? is it possible that IE is asking for some
> confirmation (a yellow bar under the address bar) and somehow you
> don't see/answer it? then the server will likely reset the connection
> after a while if you dont respond.
>
> to get you going, try clicking on this link and save to the disk:https://dl-ssl.google.com/tag/s/appguid%3D%7B9a5e649a-ec63-4c7d-99bf-...

Fabio Valbuena

Jan 18, 2011, 2:27:19 PM1/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Looks like you have a wider issue. btw, You don't need Google Update
service in order to install the file in the link.

it is not clear to me if you were able or not to download the file
from the direct link above. instead of 'run', please try to save the
download to a folder (desktop for instance) as suggested before and
then run from there (from explorer). Do not run from within IE. What I
am trying to separate is if you have connectivity issues or
installation issues.

othman

Jan 18, 2011, 2:32:31 PM1/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit

On Jan 18, 7:27 pm, Fabio Valbuena <fabio...@google.com> wrote:

> it is not clear to me if you were able or not to download the file
> from the direct link above. instead of 'run', please try to save the
> download to a folder (desktop for instance) as suggested before and
> then run from there (from explorer). Do not run from within IE. What I
> am trying to separate is if you have connectivity issues or
> installation issues.

That's exactly what i did. i saved in a folder then launched exe by
double clicking it. i even right click this exe and choose run as
administrator ,but same problem!
It looks like there is some mysterious thing that i'm not able to
figure out.

Fabio Valbuena

Jan 18, 2011, 2:53:27 PM1/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
othman,

I can't repro the issue you are seeing, but I will try to help as I
can. It looks like you may have issues with your system. here is an
idea: if you are admin on the box, create a new profile, logon to it
and try to install just to see what happens. I am trying to read
between the lines here, but it seems that either of have an
inconsistent state system (having an installed service but missing a
file - error 2), or you may have a 'murky' anti-virus interfering.

few things to think about:

1) can you install anything at all?
2) what was the last thing you installed on the box?
3) have you looked at the event viewer log to see if there is any
additional information?
4) is windows installer service running fine?
5) are you familiar with procmon? try installing it and take a look at
what is going on.

othman

Jan 18, 2011, 5:17:59 PM1/18/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks Fabio for your support.
i'll keep on investigating this problem. If i find something or need
more support i'll get back here.

christian elsen

Jan 21, 2011, 8:39:28 AM1/21/11
to Google Web Toolkit
The problems I have seems to be exactly the same, only the error code
is different in my case:
"Download error: The downloaded file failed verification. Error code =
0x80040204"

I'm running IE7 within an instance of VirtualBox. The GWT browser
plugin for firefox and chrome could be installed without any problem.
I also downloaded th IE browser plugin to disk and tried to install it
from there: Exactly the same error code occurrs.

kind regards

FabioV

Jan 22, 2011, 9:08:37 AM1/22/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
which OS are you using? XP?

肖鹏

Jan 23, 2011, 4:40:43 AM1/23/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I got the same problem. My guest os is Windows Xp. Have you found a
solution?

On Jan 21, 9:39 pm, christian elsen <christian.el...@ect-telecoms.de>
wrote:
> [...]

othman

Jan 24, 2011, 9:15:17 AM1/24/11
to Google Web Toolkit
No no solution yet
if someone finds a solution to this problem please share here

thanks

Musicman75

Jan 24, 2011, 9:50:55 AM1/24/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Dear GWT Team, please post some information about the development
plugin for the IE.
Is anybody working on a solution?

It's really urgent for me to debug in IE and resolve some problems.

Thanks

Jagget

Jan 24, 2011, 10:14:16 AM1/24/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

othman

Jan 24, 2011, 10:29:14 AM1/24/11
to Google Web Toolkit
link is broken!

On Jan 24, 3:14 pm, Jagget <dv.an....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is this not work?http://dl.google.com/dl/gwt/plugins/ie/1.0.7263.20091208111100/gwt-de...

Jagget

Jan 24, 2011, 10:34:43 AM1/24/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

FabioV

Jan 24, 2011, 10:37:58 AM1/24/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com

We are investigating the error 0x80040204

make sure to right click, save as and run from there.

othman

Jan 24, 2011, 10:41:18 AM1/24/11
to Google Web Toolkit
cool now the plugin was installed ! and i can test gwt apps in IE8!
thanks!

On Jan 24, 3:37 pm, FabioV <fabio...@google.com> wrote:
> We are investigating the error 0x80040204
>
> in the mean time, try to download fromhttp://dl.google.com/gwt/plugins/ie/1.1.9345.20101203172300/gwt-dev-p...

Ryan

Jan 24, 2011, 10:01:56 AM1/24/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I'm having the exact same problem in Windows 7 with the IE plugin.
Error code = 0x80040204. Please fix this, it's very critical for me
to be able to debug some gwt problems in IE.

Christof Kaller

Jan 24, 2011, 9:28:18 AM1/24/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

not sure if I understand the problem right,
I remeber having similar problem with google updates too. not sure what i did then.. try

1 was using http insted of https so without ssl
2. some browsers have protection against manipulation\malware installed by eg zone alarm, S&D

check add ons in ie

hope i could help

Christof

2011/1/24 othman <othmane...@gmail.com>

Christof Kaller

An de Krütpasch 15
47661 Issum

T: +49(0)2835-440 621 / M: +49(0)177-23 44 54 8
E:
Christo...@googlemail.com

Der Inhalt dieser E-Mail ist vertraulich und ausschließlich für den bezeichneten Adressaten bestimmt. Wenn Sie nicht der vorgesehene Adressat dieser E-Mail oder dessen Vertreter sein sollten, so beachten Sie bitte, daß jede Form der
Kenntnisnahme, Veröffentlichung, Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser E-Mail unzulässig ist. Wir bitten Sie, sich in diesem Fall mit dem Absender der E-Mail in Verbindung zu setzen.

FabioV

FabioV

Jan 24, 2011, 12:19:25 PM1/24/11
to Google Web Toolkit

We are investigating the error 0x80040204

in the mean time, try to download from

http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://dl.google.com/gwt/plugins/ie/1.1.9345.20101203172300/gwt-dev-plugin-x86.msi

make sure to right click, save as and run from there.

Justin Ryan

Jan 24, 2011, 1:34:01 PM1/24/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I too had the verification error that christian elsen had, in a Windows 7 VirtualBox instance. I was able to follow the dl.google.com msi link just fine. It installed and everything is working for me. When re-opening IE, it prompted me to download the plugin, but it also gave me the security yellow bar, and I had to allow the plugin.

I should mention that my instance is not currently "genuine", has caused other issues in the past. Thank you for the work around.

othman El Moulat

Jan 24, 2011, 6:29:37 PM1/24/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
BTW , I wanted to mention that i also couldn't install the gwt developer plugin for firefox 3.613 on Linux opensuse 11.3 . it tells me that plugin finished installing but when i run the gwt app the prompt to install plugin comes over and over infinitely.
does anyone encountered this issue for FF3 on Opensuse 11.3 ? is there a fix we can try for this one?
thanks.

Chris Conroy

Jan 24, 2011, 6:54:32 PM1/24/11
to Google Web Toolkit
othman, though related to the dev plugin, that information is not especially relevant to this thread which is focused on those having issue with the IE installer.

The problem you are seeing is that OpenSUSE packaging of chromium is buggy: http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=5740. If you install an official chromium build on an OpenSUSE box, the plugin works.

othman El Moulat

Jan 24, 2011, 7:03:45 PM1/24/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
ok thanks Chris for providing this useful link. it seems it is a opensuse issue as it is indicated in bug report thread below.
thanks

othman El Moulat

Jan 24, 2011, 8:02:29 PM1/24/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
this fix works for me to solve plugin installation for FF3 on opensuse 11.3:

#cd /usr/lib
#sudo ln -s libnspr4.so libnspr4.so.0d