Eclipse plugin problem with OSX Java update 4?

Carl Pearson

Mar 10, 2011, 12:22:47 PM3/10/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Suddenly my eclipse plugin is not working; I first noticed it after applying the OSX Java update this morning.

I launch the application as normal (no code changes from the last time I successfully ran it), console output seems normal:

2011-03-10 12:18:49.667 java[875:a07] [Java CocoaComponent compatibility mode]: Enabled
2011-03-10 12:18:49.669 java[875:a07] [Java CocoaComponent compatibility mode]: Setting timeout for SWT to 0.100000
Initializing AppEngine server
Logging to JettyLogger(null) via com.google.apphosting.utils.jetty.JettyLogger
Successfully processed /Users/carlpearson/Documents/gwu_js/Inverter/war/WEB-INF/appengine-web.xml
Successfully processed /Users/carlpearson/Documents/gwu_js/Inverter/war/WEB-INF/web.xml
The server is running at http://localhost:8888/

except, shortly after the development mode tab makes the url available, the console tab indicates <terminated> and I can't access the dev server.

Any clues?

Carl Pearson

Mar 10, 2011, 12:56:41 PM3/10/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
also tried creating tutorial project - same problem.  Server starts, then terminates.

MarkH

Mar 10, 2011, 5:33:00 PM3/10/11
to Google Web Toolkit
I have the same problem.

After the OSX Java 1.6.0_24 (Java Update 4) installation everything
worked correctly about 6 hours. (And numerous restarts of the server).

Then, out of the blue, when I start the server, it dies after about 4
seconds. Roughly at the point that the Development Mode panel
indicates the url is available.

I've re-installed Eclipse-Helios-SR2 and the latest GWT plugin, and
I'm seeing exactly the same issue.

Sebastian Beigel

Mar 11, 2011, 2:52:05 AM3/11/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Maybe you have to install the latest Java developer package from Apple
("Java for Mac OS X 10.6 Update 4 Developer Package") -- I did this
and pointed my JDK 1.6 home to the (new) location:
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/1.6.0_24-b07-334.jdk/Contents/Home.
Everything works as before.

Sebastian

Carl Pearson

Mar 11, 2011, 5:42:56 AM3/11/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Yep, that did it - for some reason I have 1.6.0 and 1.6 installs - switching the workspace default to 1.6 from 1.6.0 fixed the problem for me.

Carl Pearson

Mar 11, 2011, 10:19:56 AM3/11/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
Now it's back to not working...I am confused, to say the least.

Stefaan Vanderheyden

Mar 11, 2011, 10:19:29 AM3/11/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Carl,

It seems you have found a workaround - could you please detail it?

I installed the Developer Package as well, but it just installs the
exact same JVM in a different location...

I don't understand how you changed your default from 1.6 to 1.6.0, as
1.6.0 does not appear in Eclipse's list of Execution Environments
(JavaSE-1.6, but no .0).

In the meantime, you might want to star issue 6125 so that Google can
provide an official fix (I doubt we can count on Apple to fix this!).

Thanks!

Stefaan Vanderheyden

Mar 11, 2011, 11:36:51 AM3/11/11
to Google Web Toolkit
It seems there is a valid workaround for this problem described in an
issue for GAE:

http://code.google.com/p/googleappengine/issues/detail?id=4712

On Mar 11, 4:19 pm, Stefaan Vanderheyden

JSwinger

Mar 12, 2011, 5:51:50 AM3/12/11
to Google Web Toolkit
Thanks Stefaan for the link.
I followed Shengta's solution and that worked for me.

David Chandler

Mar 15, 2011, 3:36:25 PM3/15/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
FYI, the Google Plugin for Eclipse team is working on this issue. There will be a GPE point release which removes the -d32 argument from run configurations. In addition, we're in communication with Apple about the underlying JDK issue that affects the dev app server and will update the App Engine issue Stefaan referenced with more details as they become available:

/dmc

On Sat, Mar 12, 2011 at 5:51 AM, JSwinger <maneesh...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Stefaan for the link.
I followed Shengta's solution and that worked for me.

David Chandler
Developer Programs Engineer, Google Web Toolkit
w: http://code.google.com/
b: http://googlewebtoolkit.blogspot.com/
t: @googledevtools

David Chandler