ERROR: transport error 202: connect failed: Connection refused

Jeff Chimene

Dec 28, 2009, 6:46:20 PM12/28/09
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
I just upgraded my Debian/testing today & dev mode stopped working. The symptom is the fairly spectacular:
ERROR: transport error 202: connect failed: Connection refused
ERROR: JDWP Transport dt_socket failed to initialize, TRANSPORT_INIT(510)
JDWP exit error AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197): No transports initialized [../../../src/share/back/debugInit.c:690]
FATAL ERROR in native method: JDWP No transports initialized, jvmtiError=AGENT_ERROR_TRANSPORT_INIT(197)

I found the reason/fix on this post:
http://www.eclipse.org/forums/index.php?t=msg&goto=505058&#msg_505058
The problem was caused by a pretty unbelievable thing introduced in debian. Found out that java was no longer able to do any sort of network connections anymore. Even connections to localhost failed...

Someone decided to introduce a ipv6-only switch in netbase via /etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf. While this may or may not be a usefull default behaviour for the general the result is that java is no longer able to do networking at all.

So to solve it you have to edit /etc/sysctl.d/bindv6only.conf and change the value of net.ipv6.bindv6only from "1" to "0". Then do a "sudo invoke-rc.d procps restart". After that, java has networking again.

srcn

Jan 15, 2010, 8:39:52 PM1/15/10
to Google Web Toolkit
I got caught by this too. you'd think that such an important change
would be given a more prominent announcement