GWT Incubator Status Update and Schedule

John LaBanca

Jan 12, 2010, 1:05:53 PM1/12/10
to google-web-toolkit

Incubator Users -

The Google Web Toolkit Incubator project began as a proving grounds for new widgets to be vetted before joining the ranks of the GWT trunk. We've seen some success stories over the last year with EventHandlers, ClientBundle, and DatePicker, but for many of the widgets and libraries, Incubator has become an elephant graveyard.

In order to address this issue, we will start graduating some of the libraries to GWT trunk, move some into separate projects, and discontinue development on others. Ultimately, we will wind down the incubator project completely.

The schedule below shows the fate of each subproject in incubator. It's a tentative schedule, meaning that it could change as priorities shift.

GWT 2.1

  • PagingScrollTable and FastTree
    We are working on a new set of data backed widgets for GWT 2.1 that will include APIs for trees and tables. We will build upon the lessons learned with these incubator widgets, but the API for the new data backed widgets will evolve significantly from the current APIs. When the data backed widgets are added to GWT trunk, we will stop development on the PagingScrollTable and FastTree.

  • Locale Selection
    Selecting the locale on the server requires one less round trip to the server on startup and is needed for effective use of runtime locales selection.  This library will be included in GWT 2.1.

GWT 2.2

  • CollapsiblePanel
    This widget will probably become a subclass of DockingLayoutPanel, similar to SplitLayoutPanel.

  • SliderBar and ProgressBar
    Both of these widgets currently require the use of a global timer, which has performance implications. If we can implement these without a resize timer, we will include them in GWT 2.2. If we cannot, we will discontinue development on them.

  • Logging
    The logging API may make it into GWT 2.1 if time permits.

  • Form Validation
    We will take a closer look at the form validation API in GWT 2.2..

Separate Project:

  • SoundResource
    SoundResource is a promising API for including sound in an application, but it makes sense to wait for HTML 5 features to become widely adopted before including it. We would like to move SoundResource into the gwt-voices project: http://code.google.com/p/gwt-voices/.

  • Graphics
    The graphics library provides a single, platform independent API that works on top of Canvas and VML. The library is not ready for GWT trunk, but this project is worth pursuing.

  • HtmlDecorators
    We will continue to work on this project to arbitrarily add decorations to widgets.

As always, please feel free to reply with comments or suggestions.

Thanks,
John LaBanca
on behalf of the GWT team

Jim Douglas

Jan 12, 2010, 3:50:08 PM1/12/10
to Google Web Toolkit
It's great to see that there's a road map for migrating those widgets
to the trunk! We can use most of those features now (in particular:
Validation, Slider, ProgressBar, Graphics, and Locale selection).

Can we still expect to see a 2.0-compatible version of the current gwt-
incubator.jar?

On Jan 12, 10:05 am, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Incubator Users -
>
> The Google Web Toolkit Incubator project began as a proving grounds for new
> widgets to be vetted before joining the ranks of the GWT trunk. We've seen
> some success stories over the last year with EventHandlers, ClientBundle,
> and DatePicker, but for many of the widgets and libraries, Incubator has
> become an elephant graveyard.
>
> In order to address this issue, we will start graduating some of the
> libraries to GWT trunk, move some into separate projects, and discontinue
> development on others. Ultimately, we will wind down the incubator project
> completely.
>
> The schedule below shows the fate of each subproject in incubator. It's a
> tentative schedule, meaning that it could change as priorities shift.
>
> GWT 2.1
>

>    - *PagingScrollTable and FastTree*

>    We are working on a new set of data backed widgets for GWT 2.1 that will
>    include APIs for trees and tables. We will build upon the lessons learned
>    with these incubator widgets, but the API for the new data backed widgets
>    will evolve significantly from the current APIs. When the data backed
>    widgets are added to GWT trunk, we will stop development on
>    the PagingScrollTable and FastTree.
>

>    - *Locale Selection*

>    Selecting the locale on the server requires one less round trip to the
>    server on startup and is needed for effective use of
>    runtime locales selection.  This library will be included in GWT 2.1.
>
> GWT 2.2
>

>    - *CollapsiblePanel*

>    This widget will probably become a subclass of DockingLayoutPanel,
>    similar to SplitLayoutPanel.
>

>    - *SliderBar and ProgressBar*

>    Both of these widgets currently require the use of a global timer, which
>    has performance implications. If we can implement these without a resize
>    timer, we will include them in GWT 2.2. If we cannot, we will discontinue
>    development on them.
>

>    - *Logging*

>    The logging API may make it into GWT 2.1 if time permits.
>

>    - *Form Validation*

>    We will take a closer look at the form validation API in GWT 2.2..
>
> Separate Project:
>

>    - *SoundResource*

>    SoundResource is a promising API for including sound in an application,
>    but it makes sense to wait for HTML 5 features to become widely adopted
>    before including it. We would like to move SoundResource into the gwt-voices
>    project:http://code.google.com/p/gwt-voices/.
>

>    - *Graphics*

>    The graphics library provides a single, platform independent API that
>    works on top of Canvas and VML. The library is not ready for GWT trunk, but
>    this project is worth pursuing.
>

>    - *HtmlDecorators*

Open eSignForms

Jan 12, 2010, 4:34:43 PM1/12/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
And the now wondering projected release date for GWT 2.1 to make it's debut....

Eric

Jan 12, 2010, 5:18:38 PM1/12/10
to Google Web Toolkit

On Jan 12, 1:05 pm, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Incubator Users -
>
> The Google Web Toolkit Incubator project began as a proving grounds for new
> widgets to be vetted before joining the ranks of the GWT trunk. We've seen
> some success stories over the last year with EventHandlers, ClientBundle,
> and DatePicker, but for many of the widgets and libraries, Incubator has
> become an elephant graveyard.

Will the TableModel classes and the CellRenderer classes make it into
the GWT trunk? If the table widgets go across, will they be redone to
work
with GWTEvents instead of AbstractEvent? Can I work with only one type
of
HandlerManager?

Respectfully,
Eric Jablow

Gabriel Guerrero

Jan 12, 2010, 5:19:31 PM1/12/10
to Google Web Toolkit
+1 For at least doing another release compatible with gwt 2, I use the
FastTree and the PagingScrollTable, and it will be nice to have a
version of those widgets that support the new layout system, for what
I saw in the trunk the seem to be already compatible with the new
layout, although I have not tested them

Cheers
Gabriel

On Jan 12, 6:05 pm, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Incubator Users -
>
> The Google Web Toolkit Incubator project began as a proving grounds for new
> widgets to be vetted before joining the ranks of the GWT trunk. We've seen
> some success stories over the last year with EventHandlers, ClientBundle,
> and DatePicker, but for many of the widgets and libraries, Incubator has
> become an elephant graveyard.
>
> In order to address this issue, we will start graduating some of the
> libraries to GWT trunk, move some into separate projects, and discontinue
> development on others. Ultimately, we will wind down the incubator project
> completely.
>
> The schedule below shows the fate of each subproject in incubator. It's a
> tentative schedule, meaning that it could change as priorities shift.
>
> GWT 2.1
>

>    - *PagingScrollTable and FastTree*

>    We are working on a new set of data backed widgets for GWT 2.1 that will
>    include APIs for trees and tables. We will build upon the lessons learned
>    with these incubator widgets, but the API for the new data backed widgets
>    will evolve significantly from the current APIs. When the data backed
>    widgets are added to GWT trunk, we will stop development on
>    the PagingScrollTable and FastTree.
>

>    - *Locale Selection*

>    Selecting the locale on the server requires one less round trip to the
>    server on startup and is needed for effective use of
>    runtime locales selection.  This library will be included in GWT 2.1.
>
> GWT 2.2
>

>    - *CollapsiblePanel*

>    This widget will probably become a subclass of DockingLayoutPanel,
>    similar to SplitLayoutPanel.
>

>    - *SliderBar and ProgressBar*

>    Both of these widgets currently require the use of a global timer, which
>    has performance implications. If we can implement these without a resize
>    timer, we will include them in GWT 2.2. If we cannot, we will discontinue
>    development on them.
>

>    - *Logging*

>    The logging API may make it into GWT 2.1 if time permits.
>

>    - *Form Validation*

>    We will take a closer look at the form validation API in GWT 2.2..
>
> Separate Project:
>

>    - *SoundResource*

>    SoundResource is a promising API for including sound in an application,
>    but it makes sense to wait for HTML 5 features to become widely adopted
>    before including it. We would like to move SoundResource into the gwt-voices
>    project:http://code.google.com/p/gwt-voices/.
>

>    - *Graphics*

>    The graphics library provides a single, platform independent API that
>    works on top of Canvas and VML. The library is not ready for GWT trunk, but
>    this project is worth pursuing.
>

>    - *HtmlDecorators*

Deanna Bonds

Jan 13, 2010, 10:25:11 AM1/13/10
to Google Web Toolkit
Happy to see these getting promoted to GWT. Can you make sure they
use code splitting so there isn't an extra overhead with them being
included?

On Jan 12, 4:19 pm, Gabriel Guerrero <gabrieldavidguerr...@gmail.com>

Nathan Wells

Jan 15, 2010, 9:57:18 AM1/15/10
to Google Web Toolkit
John,

Is there a way we can get visibility into everything the GWTers are
planning for each release (i.e. the roadmap)? If you guys take the
position that you don't want to set expectations that won't be met...
can you send me a copy personally? I promise not to build up my
expectations :)

On Jan 12, 11:05 am, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Incubator Users -
>
> The Google Web Toolkit Incubator project began as a proving grounds for new
> widgets to be vetted before joining the ranks of the GWT trunk. We've seen
> some success stories over the last year with EventHandlers, ClientBundle,
> and DatePicker, but for many of the widgets and libraries, Incubator has
> become an elephant graveyard.
>
> In order to address this issue, we will start graduating some of the
> libraries to GWT trunk, move some into separate projects, and discontinue
> development on others. Ultimately, we will wind down the incubator project
> completely.
>
> The schedule below shows the fate of each subproject in incubator. It's a
> tentative schedule, meaning that it could change as priorities shift.
>
> GWT 2.1
>

>    - *PagingScrollTable and FastTree*

>    We are working on a new set of data backed widgets for GWT 2.1 that will
>    include APIs for trees and tables. We will build upon the lessons learned
>    with these incubator widgets, but the API for the new data backed widgets
>    will evolve significantly from the current APIs. When the data backed
>    widgets are added to GWT trunk, we will stop development on
>    the PagingScrollTable and FastTree.
>

>    - *Locale Selection*

>    Selecting the locale on the server requires one less round trip to the
>    server on startup and is needed for effective use of
>    runtime locales selection.  This library will be included in GWT 2.1.
>
> GWT 2.2
>

>    - *CollapsiblePanel*

>    This widget will probably become a subclass of DockingLayoutPanel,
>    similar to SplitLayoutPanel.
>

>    - *SliderBar and ProgressBar*

>    Both of these widgets currently require the use of a global timer, which
>    has performance implications. If we can implement these without a resize
>    timer, we will include them in GWT 2.2. If we cannot, we will discontinue
>    development on them.
>

>    - *Logging*

>    The logging API may make it into GWT 2.1 if time permits.
>

>    - *Form Validation*

>    We will take a closer look at the form validation API in GWT 2.2..
>
> Separate Project:
>

>    - *SoundResource*

>    SoundResource is a promising API for including sound in an application,
>    but it makes sense to wait for HTML 5 features to become widely adopted
>    before including it. We would like to move SoundResource into the gwt-voices
>    project:http://code.google.com/p/gwt-voices/.
>

>    - *Graphics*

>    The graphics library provides a single, platform independent API that
>    works on top of Canvas and VML. The library is not ready for GWT trunk, but
>    this project is worth pursuing.
>

>    - *HtmlDecorators*

Joel Webber

Jan 15, 2010, 10:25:19 AM1/15/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
To be clear, the inclusion of more core widgets and libraries won't impose any size overhead on projects that don't use them. If you *do* use them, you can always use code-splitting to divide your app into logical components that are demand-loaded.

eneveu

Jan 15, 2010, 10:05:50 PM1/15/10
to Google Web Toolkit
I agree with everything you said about the incubator.
I think having these widgets and components added to GWT (with an API
lifting if necessary) is awesome.

Regarding the logging API, the gwt-log project is also worth
considering: http://code.google.com/p/gwt-log/

Of course, if I had an existing application based on some of the
incubator's widgets (such as one of the two PagingScrollTables), I
might fear the API changes... A migration path would be a good idea in
such a case :) (as well as a release of the gwt-incubator compatible
with GWT 2.0, for those using the existing widgets).

Keep up the good work, GWT is awesome.

- Etienne

On Jan 12, 7:05 pm, John LaBanca <jlaba...@google.com> wrote:
> Incubator Users -
>
> The Google Web Toolkit Incubator project began as a proving grounds for new
> widgets to be vetted before joining the ranks of the GWT trunk. We've seen
> some success stories over the last year with EventHandlers, ClientBundle,
> and DatePicker, but for many of the widgets and libraries, Incubator has
> become an elephant graveyard.
>
> In order to address this issue, we will start graduating some of the
> libraries to GWT trunk, move some into separate projects, and discontinue
> development on others. Ultimately, we will wind down the incubator project
> completely.
>
> The schedule below shows the fate of each subproject in incubator. It's a
> tentative schedule, meaning that it could change as priorities shift.
>
> GWT 2.1
>

>    - *PagingScrollTable and FastTree*

>    We are working on a new set of data backed widgets for GWT 2.1 that will
>    include APIs for trees and tables. We will build upon the lessons learned
>    with these incubator widgets, but the API for the new data backed widgets
>    will evolve significantly from the current APIs. When the data backed
>    widgets are added to GWT trunk, we will stop development on
>    the PagingScrollTable and FastTree.
>

>    - *Locale Selection*

>    Selecting the locale on the server requires one less round trip to the
>    server on startup and is needed for effective use of
>    runtime locales selection.  This library will be included in GWT 2.1.
>
> GWT 2.2
>

>    - *CollapsiblePanel*

>    This widget will probably become a subclass of DockingLayoutPanel,
>    similar to SplitLayoutPanel.
>

>    - *SliderBar and ProgressBar*

>    Both of these widgets currently require the use of a global timer, which
>    has performance implications. If we can implement these without a resize
>    timer, we will include them in GWT 2.2. If we cannot, we will discontinue
>    development on them.
>

>    - *Logging*

>    The logging API may make it into GWT 2.1 if time permits.
>

>    - *Form Validation*

>    We will take a closer look at the form validation API in GWT 2.2..
>
> Separate Project:
>

>    - *SoundResource*

>    SoundResource is a promising API for including sound in an application,
>    but it makes sense to wait for HTML 5 features to become widely adopted
>    before including it. We would like to move SoundResource into the gwt-voices
>    project:http://code.google.com/p/gwt-voices/.
>

>    - *Graphics*

>    The graphics library provides a single, platform independent API that
>    works on top of Canvas and VML. The library is not ready for GWT trunk, but
>    this project is worth pursuing.
>

>    - *HtmlDecorators*

张扬

Jan 15, 2010, 10:10:53 PM1/15/10
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
my dear,
  what's wrong?
  i dont know where am i
  i received so much mail....

Sincerely
Best Wishes
Mobile:13534000034
Fax:0755-27374750
E-mail:Accl...@gmail.com
Add:深圳宝安区福永街道广深公路伏船岗工业区兴益福永工业城A1栋2D
    深圳鑫运祥精密刀具有限公司
    财务部  张扬

chillyspoon

May 19, 2011, 9:49:18 AM5/19/11
to google-we...@googlegroups.com
No mention of Spinner there; is it one of the elephants?

Thanks