IE6 + Ajax RPC + SSL, status code 12030

cdaller

Jun 30, 2008, 12:11:19 PM6/30/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi!

The following problem occurs on rpc calls from an internet explorer 6
(never seen it on firefox2/3, not testing with IE7) to an https
secured application:
GWT throws an com.google.gwt.user.client.rpc.StatusCodeException with
a http status code 12030. This happens quite often (about every fifth
rpc call) and is not specific to a specific rpc call. The server's log
does not show any requests, as the request never leaves the client.

The thread on perkiset [1] confirms this behavior for IE6+ajax+SSL,
but I have not idea how to apply the suggested workaround for gwt rpc
calls.

The article on [2] assumes to fix it with a header (Connection: close)
in all responses. This helps a little. The exception occurs a lot less
frequent, but occasionally it still occurs.

Does anyone has an idea how to get rid of the problem within GWT? Am I
the only one with this problem?

Resources for this problem on the web:
[1] http://www.perkiset.org/forum/ajax/xmlhttprequest_ie6_ssl_and_12030_error_what_is_the_solution-t442.0.html
someone made
[2] http://www.petefreitag.com/item/446.cfm

Versions used: gwt 1.5.rc1 (with gxt 1.0rc2), tomcat 6.0.16, all linux
(except for the client)

regards
Christof Dallermassl

cdaller

Jul 2, 2008, 2:36:10 PM7/2/08
to Google Web Toolkit
Hi!

The solution is to downgrade from HTTP1.1 to HTTP1.0 for IE6 browsers.
I used the following setting in my apache config to do so:
SetEnvIf User-Agent ".*MSIE 6.*" nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown
downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0

We have not found a single occurence of 12030 status code errors since
then.

Christof