Eclipse: GDT - Scala plugin cooperation problem

Marek

Jul 15, 2010, 10:09:48 AM7/15/10
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
My Eclipse hangs up while startup (showing gwt plugin as actually
loaded) and while changing run configuration properties pages. I've
checked for thread dumps while this occured and in my opinion problem
lies between Google Eclipse Plugin (any from v 1.3.2 and v 1.3.3) and
Scala plugin (2.8.0-final). Eclipse hangs on thread with stacktrace:

at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.<init>(Unknown Source)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.getZipFile(JavaModelManager.java:
2453)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JarPackageFragmentRoot.getJar(JarPackageFragmentRoot.java:
152)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.ClassFile.getBytes(ClassFile.java:
316)
at
scala.tools.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt.cfprovider.ClassFileProviderAspect.ajc
$around
$scala_tools_eclipse_contribution_weaving_jdt_cfprovider_ClassFileProviderAspect
$1$9776bbb8(ClassFileProviderAspect.aj:145)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JarPackageFragment.computeChildren(JarPackageFragment.java:
73)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JarPackageFragment.buildStructure(JarPackageFragment.java:
54)

from second dump:

at java.util.zip.Inflater.inflateBytes(Native Method)
at java.util.zip.Inflater.inflate(Unknown Source)
- locked <0x0f9b44f0> (a java.util.zip.ZStreamRef)
at java.util.zip.InflaterInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read1(Unknown Source)
at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(Unknown Source)
- locked <0x0f9b94d8> (a java.io.BufferedInputStream)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.util.Util.getInputStreamAsByteArray(Util.java:
345)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.compiler.util.Util.getZipEntryByteContent(Util.java:
511)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.ClassFile.getBytes(ClassFile.java:
320)
at
scala.tools.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt.cfprovider.ClassFileProviderAspect.ajc
$around
$scala_tools_eclipse_contribution_weaving_jdt_cfprovider_ClassFileProviderAspect
$1$9776bbb8(ClassFileProviderAspect.aj:145)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JarPackageFragment.computeChildren(JarPackageFragment.java:
73)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JarPackageFragment.buildStructure(JarPackageFragment.java:
54)

from third dump:

at java.util.zip.ZipFile.close(Native Method)
at java.util.zip.ZipFile.close(Unknown Source)
- locked <0x0bc6f540> (a java.util.zip.ZipFile)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JavaModelManager.closeZipFile(JavaModelManager.java:
1553)
at org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.ClassFile.getBytes(ClassFile.java:
332)
at
scala.tools.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt.cfprovider.ClassFileProviderAspect.ajc
$around
$scala_tools_eclipse_contribution_weaving_jdt_cfprovider_ClassFileProviderAspect
$1$9776bbb8(ClassFileProviderAspect.aj:145)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JarPackageFragment.computeChildren(JarPackageFragment.java:
73)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JarPackageFragment.buildStructure(JarPackageFragment.java:
54)

So I think problem is in:
at
scala.tools.eclipse.contribution.weaving.jdt.cfprovider.ClassFileProviderAspect.ajc
$around
$scala_tools_eclipse_contribution_weaving_jdt_cfprovider_ClassFileProviderAspect
$1$9776bbb8(ClassFileProviderAspect.aj:145)
at
org.eclipse.jdt.internal.core.JarPackageFragment.computeChildren(JarPackageFragment.java:
73)

Not sure what scala weaves without GEP source code. After uninstalling
scala, everything works OK.

I'm not sure is it GEP or Scala bug, so I post it here.

Martin Mauch

Aug 25, 2010, 3:06:15 AM8/25/10
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I'm running into the same problem here.
Is there any known solution?

Rajeev Dayal

Aug 25, 2010, 12:30:55 PM8/25/10
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
If you uninstall GPE and leave the Scala plugin, does everything work? What type of launch configuration are you using? Is it a Web Application launch configuration?

Martin Mauch

Sep 5, 2010, 10:29:42 PM9/5/10
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Installing the Scala plugin into a fresh copy of Eclipse works fine.
I haven't tried installing and uninstalling the GPE. I could try that if it helps.
Concerning the launch configuration:
Eclipse didn't even start, so I think it should be unrelated to any launch configurations.

If the problem doesn't occur with other people's Eclipse installations don't consider it important.
Atm I'm OK with using two Eclipse installations for Scala and GWT.

Thanks!
  Martin

Rajeev Dayal

Sep 6, 2010, 8:28:10 PM9/6/10
On Sun, Sep 5, 2010 at 10:29 PM, Martin Mauch <martin...@gmail.com> wrote:
Installing the Scala plugin into a fresh copy of Eclipse works fine.
I haven't tried installing and uninstalling the GPE. I could try that if it helps.

If you could try this, that would be great.

Martin Mauch

Sep 7, 2010, 3:00:52 AM9/7/10
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Ok, so I did the following:
I had an Eclipse installation with the Scala Development Tools running. I installed the GPE (Google Plugin and GWT, no GAE) and restarted Eclipse. When starting, Eclipse hung on the boot-up screen when "Loading org.eclipse.jdt.core" consuming one of the two CPU cores with relatively constant memory consumption. When trying to close the boot-up screen Windows told me, that the application does not react and I force quit it.
So I removed all Google plugin jars from the plugins folder and Eclipse started fine again.

Second, I installed the GPE again, restarted Eclipse which hung again. I removed all Scala plugin jars and Eclipse started fine again.
I was using the official GPE (not the 2.1 Milestones) and the Scala Development Tools Nightly from http://download.scala-ide.org/ which has support for Helios (build 1.0.0.201009022343).

Is anyone able to reproduce this?

Best regards
  Martin