Announcing GWT 2.0 Milestone 1

Amit Manjhi

Oct 5, 2009, 7:41:51 PM10/5/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Hi everyone,

We are excited to release the first milestone build for GWT 2.0 today.
This milestone provides early access (read: known to still be
unfinished and buggy) to the various bits of core functionality that
will be coming in GWT 2.0. Please download the bits from:

http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=2.0+Milestone+1

Things that are changing with GWT 2.0 that might otherwise be
confusing without explanation
* Terminology changes: We're going to start using the term
"development mode" rather than the old term "hosted mode." The term
"hosted mode" was sometimes confusing to people, so we'll be using the
more descriptive term from now on. For similar reasons, we'll be using
the term "production mode" rather than "web mode" when referring to
compiled script.

* Changes to the distribution: Note that there's only one download,
and it's no longer platform-specific. You download the same zip file
for every development platform. This is made possible by the new
plugin approach used to implement development mode (see below). The
distribution file does not include the browser plugins themselves;
those are downloaded separately the first time you use development
mode in a browser that doesn't have the plugin installed.

Functionality that will be coming in GWT 2.0
* In-Browser Development Mode: Prior to 2.0, GWT hosted mode provided
a special-purpose "hosted browser" to debug your GWT code. In 2.0, the
web page being debugged is viewed within a regular-old browser.
Development mode is supported through the use of a native-code plugin
for each browser. In other words, you can use development mode
directly from Safari, Firefox, IE, and Chrome.

* Code Splitting: Developer-guided code splitting allows you to chunk
your GWT code into multiple fragments for faster startup. Imagine
having to download a whole movie before being able to watch it. Well,
that's what you have to do with most Ajax apps these days -- download
the whole thing before using it. With code splitting, you can arrange
to load just the minimum script needed to get the application running
and the user interacting, while the rest of the app is downloaded as
needed.

* Declarative User Interface: GWT's UiBinder now allows you to create
user interfaces mostly declaratively. Previously, widgets had to be
created and assembled programmatically, requiring lots of code. Now,
you can use XML to declare your UI, making the code more readable,
easier to maintain, and faster to develop. The Mail sample has been
updated to use the new declarative UI.

* Bundling of resources (ClientBundle): GWT has shipped with
ImageBundles since GWT v1.4, giving developers automatic spriting of
images. ClientBundle generalizes this technique, bringing the power of
combining and optimizing resources into one download to things like
text files, CSS, and XML. This means fewer network round trips, which
in turn can decrease application latency -- especially on mobile
applications.

* Using HtmlUnit for running GWT tests: GWT 2.0 no longer uses SWT or
the old mozilla code (on linux) to run GWT tests. Instead, it uses
HtmlUnit as the built-in browser. HtmlUnit is 100% Java. This means
there is a single GWT distribution for linux, mac, and windows, and
debugging GWT Tests in development mode can be done entirely in a Java
debugger.

Known issues
* If you are planning to run the webAppCreator, i18nCreator, or the
junitCreator scripts on Mac or Linux, please set their executable bits
by doing a 'chmod +x *Creator'
* Our HtmlUnit integration is still not complete. Additionally,
HtmlUnit does not do layout. So tests can fail either because they
exercise layout or they hit bugs due to incomplete integration. If you
want such tests to be ignored on HtmlUnit, please annotate the test
methods with @DoNotRunWith({Platform.Htmlunit})
* The Google Eclipse Plugin will only allow you to add GWT release
directories that include a file with a name like gwt-dev-windows.jar.
You can fool it by sym linking or copying gwt-dev.jar to the
appropriate name.

Breaking changes
* The way arguments are passed to the GWT testing infrastructure has
been revamped. There is now a consistent syntax to support arbitrary
"runstyles", including user-written with no changes to GWT. Though
this does not affect common launch configs, some of the less common
ones will need to be updated. For example, '-selenium FF3' has become
'-runStyle selenium:FF3'

As always, remember that GWT milestone builds like this are use-at-
your-own-risk and we don't recommend it for production use. Please
report any bugs you encounter to the GWT issue tracker (http://
code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/list) after doing a quick
search to see if your issue has already been reported.

-- Amit Manjhi, on behalf of the Google Web Toolkit team

Geraldo Lopes

Oct 5, 2009, 9:10:00 PM10/5/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
Thanks for removing the tab bug http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=712

It's very nice to use firefox 3.5 to develop.

Regards,

Geraldo

On Oct 5, 8:41 pm, Amit Manjhi <amitman...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We are excited to release the first milestone build for GWT 2.0 today.
> This milestone provides early access (read: known to still be
> unfinished and buggy) to the various bits of core functionality that
> will be coming in GWT 2.0. Please download the bits from:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=2....

David

Oct 6, 2009, 2:46:36 AM10/6/09
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Great news, just one question that some other people might want to know:

Where can we manually download the browser plugins for OOPHM ? Our
development machines are not on the internet for security reasons so
the only way to get software on these machines is by downloading them
manually (through a different department, don''t ask ... )

David

Amir Kashani

Oct 6, 2009, 3:08:34 AM10/6/09
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com

rusty

Oct 7, 2009, 10:42:43 PM10/7/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors
I'm loving this new version, OOPHM makes all the difference in the
world compared to the old, slow & clunky hosted mode.

One question though, does OOPHM currently support ClientBundle
resources like CSS files?

On Oct 6, 9:41 am, Amit Manjhi <amitman...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> We are excited to release the first milestone build for GWT 2.0 today.
> This milestone provides early access (read: known to still be
> unfinished and buggy) to the various bits of core functionality that
> will be coming in GWT 2.0. Please download the bits from:
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/downloads/list?can=1&q=2....

Konstantin.Scheglov

Oct 8, 2009, 6:23:58 AM10/8/09
to Google Web Toolkit Contributors

> * Changes to the distribution: Note that there's only one download,
> and it's no longer platform-specific. You download the same zip file
> for every development platform. This is made possible by the new
> plugin approach used to implement development mode (see below). The
> distribution file does not include the browser plugins themselves;
> those are downloaded separately the first time you use development
> mode in a browser that doesn't have the plugin installed.

Does not work for me on Vista x64.

FF 3.5.3 can not install plugin.
When I try to install extension, it goes further, but still fails
with some deferred binding exception.

oophm.dll just can not be registered, may be because of x64?

Sanjiv Jivan

Oct 8, 2009, 8:39:20 AM10/8/09
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
The oophm.dll IE plugin does not work with IE 64 bit on Vista x64  but it does work with IE 32 bit on Vista x64.

I had reported this ( http://code.google.com/p/google-web-toolkit/issues/detail?id=2410&can=5 ) and John Tamplin built a 64 bit version of the oophm dll.

Unfortunately I temporarily do not have access to my x64 box so was unable to confirm if oophm64.dll works with IE 64 bit. If you can verify it please add a note in the above issue.

Sanjiv

John Tamplin

Oct 8, 2009, 9:46:50 AM10/8/09
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 6:23 AM, Konstantin.Scheglov
> * Changes to the distribution: Note that there's only one download,

Can you clarify what you mean here?  When you try and install the FF3.5 plugin from the Missing Plugin page, what happens?

What is the deferred binding exception you get?

Are you running a special 64-bit build of Firefox?  The official builds are only 32-bit and that is all we support at the moment.

 oophm.dll just can not be registered, may be because of x64?

Correct -- that is a 32-bit DLL and will not work with a 64-bit IE.  The simple attempt at compiling the same thing in 64-bit mode (the oophm64.dll listed below) does not work, and it will probably be a while before that can be addressed.

--
John A. Tamplin
Software Engineer (GWT), Google

Konstantin.Scheglov

Oct 8, 2009, 9:57:19 AM10/8/09

On 8 окт, 17:46, John Tamplin <j...@google.com> wrote:

> >  FF 3.5.3 can not install plugin.
> >  When I try to install extension, it goes further, but still fails
> > with some deferred binding exception.
>
> Can you clarify what you mean here?  When you try and install the FF3.5
> plugin from the Missing Plugin page, what happens?
>
> What is the deferred binding exception you get?

Here is exception (how it is copied from Swing) when I try Mail
sample.
Hello sample works.

00:00:27,541 [ERROR] Unable to load module entry point class
com.google.gwt.sample.mail.client.Mail (see associated exception for
details)
java.lang.RuntimeException: Deferred binding failed for
'com.google.gwt.sample.mail.client.Mail$Binder' (did you forget to
inherit a required module?) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create(GWTBridgeImpl.java:43)
at com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT.create(GWT.java:98) at
com.google.gwt.sample.mail.client.Mail.<clinit>(Mail.java:36) at
java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at java.lang.Class.forName
(Class.java:247) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.loadClassFromSourceName
(ModuleSpace.java:571) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad
(ModuleSpace.java:348) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule
(OophmSessionHandler.java:174) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection
(BrowserChannelServer.java:391) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run
(BrowserChannelServer.java:178) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:
619) Caused by: com.google.gwt.core.ext.UnableToCompleteException:
(see previous log entries) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.rebind(ModuleSpace.java:532) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.rebindAndCreate(ModuleSpace.java:
409) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.GWTBridgeImpl.create
(GWTBridgeImpl.java:39) at com.google.gwt.core.client.GWT.create
(GWT.java:98) at com.google.gwt.sample.mail.client.Mail.<clinit>
(Mail.java:36) at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method) at
java.lang.Class.forName(Class.java:247) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.loadClassFromSourceName
(ModuleSpace.java:571) at com.google.gwt.dev.shell.ModuleSpace.onLoad
(ModuleSpace.java:348) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.OophmSessionHandler.loadModule
(OophmSessionHandler.java:174) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.processConnection
(BrowserChannelServer.java:391) at
com.google.gwt.dev.shell.BrowserChannelServer.run
(BrowserChannelServer.java:178) at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:
619)

> Are you running a special 64-bit build of Firefox?  The official builds are
> only 32-bit and that is all we support at the moment.

No, I use 32-bit FireFox, just x64 OS.

>  oophm.dll just can not be registered, may be because of x64?
>

> Correct -- that is a 32-bit DLL and will not work with a 64-bit IE.  The
> simple attempt at compiling the same thing in 64-bit mode (the oophm64.dll
> listed below) does not work, and it will probably be a while before that can
> be addressed.

I've downloaded http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/plugins/ie/prebuilt/oophm64.dll
but "regsvr32 oophm64.dll" still fails because "Can not call
DllRegisterServer", error code 0x80070005.

John Tamplin

Oct 8, 2009, 10:05:00 AM10/8/09
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com

Was there an earlier log message?  If you run with -logLevel DEBUG what is the last message before this one?

How did you run the mail sample?  Does the Showcase sample have the same problem?  What is the exact version of Firefox you are running?

> Correct -- that is a 32-bit DLL and will not work with a 64-bit IE.  The
> simple attempt at compiling the same thing in 64-bit mode (the oophm64.dll
> listed below) does not work, and it will probably be a while before that can
> be addressed.

 I've downloaded http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/plugins/ie/prebuilt/oophm64.dll
but "regsvr32 oophm64.dll" still fails because "Can not call
DllRegisterServer", error code 0x80070005.

Yes, as mentioned above, it is known to not work and it will likely be a while before that can be addressed.

Konstantin Scheglov

Oct 8, 2009, 10:14:26 AM10/8/09
to google-web-tool...@googlegroups.com
  Here is exception (how it is copied from Swing) when I try Mail
sample.
 Hello sample works.

Was there an earlier log message?  If you run with -logLevel DEBUG what is the last message before this one?

How did you run the mail sample?  Does the Showcase sample have the same problem?  What is the exact version of Firefox you are running?

  I use "ant hosted" command.

  Showcase works.

  Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; ru; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3 GTB6 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729)

> Correct -- that is a 32-bit DLL and will not work with a 64-bit IE.  The
> simple attempt at compiling the same thing in 64-bit mode (the oophm64.dll
> listed below) does not work, and it will probably be a while before that can
> be addressed.

 I've downloaded http://google-web-toolkit.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/plugins/ie/prebuilt/oophm64.dll
but "regsvr32 oophm64.dll" still fails because "Can not call
DllRegisterServer", error code 0x80070005.

Yes, as mentioned above, it is known to not work and it will likely be a while before that can be addressed.

  OK

--
Konstantin Scheglov,
Instantiations, Inc.