Education Use

1 view

adamj1979

Jun 1, 2009, 5:38:43 AM6/1/09
to Google Wave API
The Wave system seems like an excellent Education tool - I can see my
students being given access into a group for teaching and then as a
teacher, monitoring progress within the group and ensuring students
are behaving.

I can't see that the system currently has group settings where I could
become and administrator of a group or number of groups that would
help with an education or business setup.

Is this something that could be integrated into Wave?

Thanks,

Adam

Brett Morgan

Jun 1, 2009, 5:45:46 AM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
From what I understand of the system as it stands at the moment, your
use case could be handled using some custom coding. There is a fair
amount of discussion around the need for roles, so I am sure this is
something that we will figure out.

That being all said and done, we are still waiting for access to the
sandbox and the server source ball, so it is going to be a little
while before this will be a reality for your students. =)
--

Brett Morgan http://brett.morgan.googlepages.com/

adamj1979

Jun 1, 2009, 7:12:43 AM6/1/09
to Google Wave API
Thanks for taking time to respond :)

Brett Morgan

Jun 1, 2009, 7:58:53 AM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Least I can do =)

Arne Wischer

Jun 1, 2009, 11:56:45 AM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
You can compare this to the voting-example shown at the presentation. You just create a wave with your "group"-robot in it and define, in some kind of edit field, who should be in this group. The robot then sends out a wavelet to every user and monitors their reactions. It's just a matter of coding, how the robots handles the content and responds to user input.

So the robot may be able to collect new content from your students, writes it back to your admin wave and distributes it to the rest of the group. And if you want to remove some rights from a user, you just have to give the robot a command, not to collect updates from this user anymore.

This lets a robot become some kind of very basic group management.

Bruce

Jun 1, 2009, 12:42:36 PM6/1/09
to Google Wave API

On Jun 1, 5:45 am, Brett Morgan <brett.mor...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From what I understand of the system as it stands at the moment, your
> use case could be handled using some custom coding. There is a fair
> amount of discussion around the need for roles, so I am sure this is
> something that we will figure out.

Yeah, it seems a notion of formalized (as opposed to ad hoc) groups is
important to add to Wave.

FWIW, I'm in higher ed, and have been thinking about some of these
issues lately. I wrote up this use case from my own teaching
experiences, which it seems to me has relevance for Wave (which I've
love to experiment with at some point in my classes).

<http://community.muohio.edu/blogs/darcusb/archives/2009/03/20/what-do-
i-want-in-a-next-gen-lms>

Bruce

Brian Kennish

Jun 1, 2009, 12:49:29 PM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 2:38 AM, adamj1979 <adam...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> I can't see that the system currently has group settings where I could
> become and administrator of a group or number of groups that would
> help with an education or business setup.

Hey Adam, good eye. Groups are still a work in progress. They exist in
Wave, but aren't fully baked into the UI yet.

Arne Wischer

Jun 1, 2009, 1:24:02 PM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
So it will be possible to make someone something like the administrator of a wave who is able to edit user rights to only read but not write within a wave?

Brian Kennish

Jun 1, 2009, 3:12:47 PM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Arne Wischer <fett...@gmail.com> wrote:
> So it will be possible to make someone something like the administrator of a
> wave who is able to edit user rights to only read but not write within a
> wave?

Hmm, I'm not sure the access control will be that fine grained, at
least not right off the bat. Looks like there's already a feature
request along those lines, though:
http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/detail?id=7.
We'll consider all the requests we get in our issue tracker.

Arne Wischer

Jun 1, 2009, 3:41:08 PM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah but I can even think of a Robot and different wavelets as well.
This way you can be as fine grained as you want, as long as the robot provides that kind of user management.
Or am I mistaking the concept of wavelets for what it is?

Brian Kennish

Jun 1, 2009, 6:52:04 PM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Arne Wischer <fett...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah but I can even think of a Robot and different wavelets as well.
> This way you can be as fine grained as you want, as long as the robot
> provides that kind of user management.

I think a robot could provide this functionality, but with some
tradeoffs. There's a good (if long!) discussion on access control
here: http://groups.google.com/group/google-wave-api/browse_thread/thread/e2132221ce2ba905#.
In particular, see Jorge's comment about affecting playback.

adamj1979

Jun 2, 2009, 3:48:04 AM6/2/09
to Google Wave API
Great stuff - just pleased that it's raised as an issue and might be
developed further. Wish I could be more help in the development but
really didn't get on too well with programming and only just trying to
grapple with it again.

Thanks

On Jun 1, 11:52 pm, Brian Kennish <byoo...@google.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Arne Wischer <fettl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Yeah but I can even think of a Robot and different wavelets as well.
> > This way you can be as fine grained as you want, as long as the robot
> > provides that kind of user management.
>
> I think a robot could provide this functionality, but with some
> tradeoffs. There's a good (if long!) discussion on access control
> here:http://groups.google.com/group/google-wave-api/browse_thread/thread/e....

ChangeAgent

Jun 2, 2009, 12:14:52 PM6/2/09
to Google Wave API
Adam - Welcome to my world. I agree with you, excellent Education
tool. Wave is a natural for teachers (admin) to create a "class"
lesson/topic group, as well as "project" sub-groups that branch off
the main conversation.

Given the search feature can show an individual's contribution, it
would be possible to see who added what in a team context. This alone
would help in knowing if one student did all the work or not.

Can't wait to start riding this Wave.

Ben

Mike Wenk

Jun 2, 2009, 8:15:45 PM6/2/09
to Google Wave API
I think having a grade capability to the wave would be helpful. I
would imagine this to be possibly as fine grained as the blip level.
Then a robot to collect and collate the grading information.

Mike

Mohammady Mahdy

Jun 3, 2009, 5:00:04 AM6/3/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
also a i can imagine an examination form in the same way the polling example was made.