Wave as a CMS?

rohan dargad

Jun 3, 2009, 2:33:45 AM6/3/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
If i were to enable embeding of waves in my webpage.

WIll it work as a good CMS tool for different people working on that web page?

Agucho

Jun 3, 2009, 3:33:31 AM6/3/09
to Google Wave API
I was going to ask that! It does look like Wave could be very powerful
as CMS: awsome text editor features + spell checker + translations +
collaboraion + extensions... I'd love to here some comments on this.

endymion

Jun 3, 2009, 10:21:22 AM6/3/09
to Google Wave API
This is my plan for my first experiments with Wave. I wasn't an IO
attendee so I'll have to wait a while, but once I get sandbox access
that's what I'll be working on. Wave provides a collaborative CMS
that could be used in all kinds of different ways to power a web site.

A web site could use a wave as the data model for a read-only web
site, even if it doesn't expose any of Wave's cool interactive
features with the embed API. You could use Wave to collaborate with
your web development client regarding the contents of their web site,
and instead of copying that content out of email and pasting it into a
CMS, you just point your web site at the wave. Maybe you add a robot
representing the web site to the wave, or maybe you tag the wave with
a keyword. Maybe your system provides a gadget for embedding in waves
that handles attaching the wave to the web site. The cool thing is
that your web sites will gain the benefit of all of the extensions for
Wave, 'for free'.

Dima

Jun 3, 2009, 11:07:05 AM6/3/09
to Google Wave API
Wave is supposed to cover following applications:

- email
- forums
- IM
- Wiki
- Blogs
- Comments (articles and blogs)

for full blown CMS - there would be many clients developed to
implement presentation of the Wave as CMS and then you would probably
use Gadgets to insert Waves (each wave as a page) into generic site
that would represent a main page as a web site. Since it's possible to
link Waves together - the rest can be done in Wave editor.

Kalyan Lanka

Jun 3, 2009, 11:14:56 AM6/3/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
What I have seen from documentation is they have most of it.. but for a full blown CMS, I see lacking information on role based security and authentication information.

endymion

Jun 3, 2009, 1:54:24 PM6/3/09
to Google Wave API
Your web site might not have authentication features at all because it
might have no 'admin' section. Instead of an admin section, it uses
Wave. And there are lots of different ways to do role-based site
features, not all of them require role features in Wave.

Your web site might be set up to look for the latest wave tagged
"RELEASE" from a particular author, or set of authors. To publish
content to your site, you take a wave that a bunch of people have been
collaborating on. You clone it and tag it "RELEASE". Nobody else can
make content flow into your site but you and your list of admins,
because this hypothetical site only pays attention to waves from that
list of people only.

There are lots of other ways to do it too.

On Jun 3, 11:14 am, Kalyan Lanka <kalyankumar.la...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What I have seen from documentation is they have most of it.. but for a full
> blown CMS, I see lacking information on role based security and
> authentication information.

aetopo

Jun 3, 2009, 2:13:21 PM6/3/09
to Google Wave API
We can help out by offering our J2EE CMS/CDS for Wave extensions/
integration. The CMS/CDS was also integrated with a GWT app we wrote.
So, there's a lot there. I'm guessing that a CMS/CDS could help
organize and publish Wave content. I hope it's ok to post this here.

Roberto

Jun 5, 2009, 7:56:31 AM6/5/09
to Google Wave API
endymion, I completly agree with you about the approach.
I'm very interested in this application of Wave (on of the two that
raised in my mind as soon as I've seen the I/O video) especially if
oriented to schools.
I'm available to help/contribute but I'm waiting for a sandbox account
as well, so I'm waiting...
Let me know if you agree on working together
Bye

jm2

Mohammady Mahdy

Jun 5, 2009, 8:07:12 AM6/5/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to offer my assistance as well

jeffj1111

Jun 5, 2009, 8:29:08 AM6/5/09
to Google Wave API
Yes, we have some communications PR people who obsess about website
content. It would be tremendous if they could tweak it every few
seconds themselves without IT needing to be harassed, er, involved in
every text update.

I expect we'd open certain editable areas or pages and work out role-
based permissions by division, somehow.

On Jun 5, 7:07 am, Mohammady Mahdy <mohammady.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to offer my assistance as well

Nitsuga

Jul 22, 2009, 8:42:02 AM7/22/09
to Google Wave API
Hey, any of you guys still interested in this kind of usage for Wave?
I don't have sandbox access yet but I've read through most of the
stuff out there and this is what I understand could work:

For the sake of example let's say I want to build a blogging service
(I don't really). I create a small App Engine application that will
take care of the publishing side of it. This app will...

1. take the request of the visitor and make it into a wave ID
2. use the Embed API to render the wave for that ID
3. render a nice theme with the post embeded in it

provided pub...@a.gwave.com and read-only are implemented at some
point as promised, this should work well, right?

For all this to happen though, the app needs to get some data
beforehand that allows it to match the slug in the request with the
wave ID and determine that wave belongs to certain blog which in turn
belongs to certain user.

So we build a robot that a user will add to every wave he wants to
make into a blog post. This robot will communicate all this necessary
data to the app: Creator ID, participants IDs, Wave ID, title,
creation time, updates, status (published or not), etc.

Does this seems like a sound approach to you? There are tons of
questions obviously...

¿Can you handle blog creation/configuration from within wave with wave
forms displayed by the robot...? (I have never seen wave except in
videos, so this may be a dumb question... but I'm thinking somewhat
like Twave)

¿How would you create views that render multiple post titles to make
something like a home page? ¿How many embeds are acceptable before it
starts to slow down the page?

¿Is it possible to have the robot app and the publishing app access
the same data in App Engine?

¿How much formatting can you apply to embedded waves?

Anyway, I won't go on or nobody will reply :-) I'd love to hear any
comments...

Bastian Hoyer

Jul 22, 2009, 9:12:14 AM7/22/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
If you embed a wave you are embedding the wave client into your page
using an iframe. I'm not sure how you want to theme that ;)

Nitsuga

Jul 22, 2009, 12:27:19 PM7/22/09
to Google Wave API
Well I just meant "theme around the wave" ;-) whatever is not the
content of the page... and then a bit of styling with setUIConfig to
the actual wave... like the Google Island example on
http://code.google.com/apis/wave/embed/index.html... I'm I totally off
track?

David

Aug 15, 2009, 1:31:10 PM8/15/09
to Google Wave API
This was also my first thought: A Wave CMS. Would love to work on such
a CMS based on Grails. At the moment I'm about to implement a Grails
Plugin for Wave.. let's see.

cheers
david

On Jul 22, 9:27 pm, Nitsuga <agu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well I just meant "theme around the wave" ;-) whatever is not the
> content of the page... and then a bit of styling with setUIConfig to
> the actual wave... like the Google Island example onhttp://code.google.com/apis/wave/embed/index.html... I'm I totally off
> track?
>
> On Jul 22, 3:12 pm, Bastian Hoyer <daf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > If youembeda wave you are embedding the wave client into your page
> > using an iframe. I'm not sure how you want to theme that ;)
>
> > On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 14:42, Nitsuga<agu...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hey, any of you guys still interested in this kind of usage for Wave?
> > > I don't have sandbox access yet but I've read through most of the
> > > stuff out there and this is what I understand could work:
>
> > > For the sake of example let's say I want to build a blogging service
> > > (I don't really). I create a small App Engine application that will
> > > take care of the publishing side of it. This app will...
>
> > > 1. take the request of the visitor and make it into a wave ID
> > > 2. use theEmbedAPI to render the wave for that ID

David

Aug 15, 2009, 2:38:13 PM8/15/09
to Google Wave API

On Jul 22, 5:42 pm, Nitsuga <agu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey, any of you guys still interested in this kind of usage for Wave?

Yes I'm quite interested .. but have to do some thoughtworks
first.. ;-)

> Does this seems like a sound approach to you? There are tons of
> questions obviously...

What you have described sounds good.

> ¿Can you handle blog creation/configuration from within wave with wave
> forms displayed by the robot...? (I have never seen wave except in
> videos, so this may be a dumb question... but I'm thinking somewhat
> like Twave)

I don't know about robot to much either (yet!) but what i know it
should work.

> ¿How would you create views that render multiple post titles to make
> something like a home page? ¿How many embeds are acceptable before it
> starts to slow down the page?

Why do you need serveral embeds? Isn't one enough?

> ¿Is it possible to have the robot app and the publishing app access
> the same data in App Engine?

Yes.

> ¿How much formatting can you apply to embedded waves?

That's the challenge: At the moment you can -roughly said- only
display the wave.
But probably you can read the needed wave data via the robots API?
Have to dig into that...

Jason Salas

Aug 15, 2009, 8:42:43 PM8/15/09
to Google Wave API
I think that maybe many of the major CMS vendors will create
extensions (if we don't do it ourselves) to integrate their products
with Wave. That's what I'm working on now. But that is a neat idea
to actually use Wave as its own CMS platform, with assumed features
like document creation/management, scheduling, RSS feeds, (micro)
blogging, archival/search, etc.

Eric Betts

Aug 15, 2009, 10:05:16 PM8/15/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I've been working on something akin to this for drupal. I originally
created a drupal wave module (http://ericbetts.org/node/10), and in
the process of writing a guest blog post (shameless self promotion: http://googlewavedev.blogspot.com/2009/08/prototyping-drupal-module-for-google.html)
I realized it really needed to be married to a bot to create the new
drupal pages. Thus I wrote the attached drupal embed bot (also
sampled at http://ericbetts.org/node/21).

I encourage others to build off my initial work.

~Eric
--
Eric Betts
http://EricBetts.org

drupalembedbot.py
xmlrpc.py

Lee Olayvar

Aug 15, 2009, 11:10:03 PM8/15/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Yea, i've had similar thoughts. My opinion on the matter is that we need better embed features, so a wave bot isn't needed to "ping" the CMS and have it update a populated list of waves.
--
Lee Olayvar