OT: Wave Interest?

Sean

Jul 9, 2009, 9:17:13 AM7/9/09
to Google Wave API
I have been observing and participating in the API and protocol groups
from the inception.

I notice that the activity in these groups has plummeted recently.
Are people losing interest or has the main activity moved inside the
wave where it can not be viewed by others?

Joc

Jul 9, 2009, 9:58:01 AM7/9/09
to Google Wave API
It has become pretty hard for developers like myself to keep up
interest
when we haven't got accounts. I don't know why they taunt us like
this ;)
When they could just have had a private beta until they were ready to
let
more people use it.

Joc

Edward Kepler

Jul 9, 2009, 10:13:18 AM7/9/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
There is just too much koolaid, you have to drink. Too Complex, Needs Rest API.

Chris Marino

Jul 9, 2009, 1:09:46 PM7/9/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I've been wondering about this myself....

I think that there is only so much that can be done with what's been exposed so far as well the relative immaturity of the code. That combined with the lack of accounts means you can tinker for a little while but then you hit the wall.  There are a few brave soles trying to build their own servers/services from scratch, but I think until some code is released most are sitting on the sidelines.

I don't think it's too complicated and not having a REST API is, to me, a bit of a nonsequitur.

A more interesting question to me is: What is the general interest going to be beyond developers?  How fast will adoption be? When you're in the echo chamber it's hard to gage what the typical Exchange/Yahoo/Hotmail mail user is going to do.

There's been chatter for a long time about email being 'broken', but is Wave the way to fix it?  Not sure how directly it addressed the most common complaints about email, but this post at GigaOm I think is a balanced perspective on it's prospects.

To me, Wave has the potential to actually fix the problems of email overload as well as extend it beyond it's traditional limits.  But before it can surpass email, it must first match it, and IMHO, even there, there's some work to be done. If that can be achieved, interest will be huge.

But absent any code, I wouldn't take (lack of) activity here as an indication of anything...

CM

Bastian Hoyer

Jul 9, 2009, 1:52:13 PM7/9/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Yes... I think the most posts here were about begging for accounts
(which we don't need anymore soon :) ), more or less constructive
discussions what we could do with wave and stuff like that... there
were not that many posts about the api itself ;)

However I'm following both groups and reading all posts and guess
there will be more talk again when more developers get in ;) I also
hope I'm in the first batch :)

malachid

Jul 9, 2009, 12:45:14 PM7/9/09
to Google Wave API
Same here. Once I have access to it, then I will worry about spending
time on it.

Malachi

SebaSOFT

Jul 9, 2009, 9:54:29 AM7/9/09
to Google Wave API
You can mix a little of sectary (we are wave and you're not) with the
slowliness of accounts. Releasing Wave without being able to hold
10000 accounts is what's IMHO is causing this plummeling.

ikarius

Jul 10, 2009, 2:00:25 AM7/10/09
to Google Wave API
No account, no code, no specs
No time :p

Jerry N.

Jul 10, 2009, 5:55:07 AM7/10/09
to Google Wave API
Dito.
> > > wave where it can not be viewed by others?- Hide quoted text -

Dmitry Unkovsky

Jul 10, 2009, 6:36:44 AM7/10/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Actually, as I mentiond earlier, in any case it's very helpful to have
early notion of technology that will be pushed in masses quite soon.
While I can't do anything with it directly, I'm up to some tools that
can be useful for implementing server, and simply get aquainted with
concept of cooperative environment. It's always good to have some time
for concept thinking in advance!

Rodolfo Vargas

Jul 11, 2009, 5:25:01 AM7/11/09
to Google Wave API
There is missing several specs to make the whole think happen. So in
my case I'm just waiting for those documents.

R.

RickB

Jul 12, 2009, 10:33:59 PM7/12/09
to Google Wave API
In my case, the lack of evolution/enhancement of the API's and the
sandbox capabilities has pretty much stalled our evaluation process.

Andy Brandt

Jul 14, 2009, 4:15:31 AM7/14/09
to Google Wave API
Hi Sean!

Same as others - we even wanted to assign people to research Wave
actively, because we see it as the future Exchange-killer. But without
access, code etc. it turns out there is very little we can do beyond
watching the video and waiting.

Andy

Dan Stormont

Jul 15, 2009, 12:26:46 AM7/15/09
to Google Wave API
I would agree with most of the other posts here. I was spending quite
a bit of time in the Wave Sandbox at first, but the more I play around
with Wave, the more I realize it is "not ready for prime time." As a
concept, it is very much an Exchange and other webmail clients killer,
but in execution it is not very intuitive, doesn't work very well, and
lacks sufficient information and access to be able to do much with
it. Even the limited tutorials tend not to work when you try them
out. This is a pattern I've noticed a lot with new releases from
Google - more hype than actual functionality. I would love to see
Wave succeed (and Chrome OS and Android), but I don't think any of
them are really ready for the average user. (They don't even seem to
be ready for the average developer.) In the meantime, I'll keep my
toes in the water to see what changes and try out the occasional idea,
but I'm not going to devote a significant portion of my limited time
to an API that's not there yet.

tracy

Jul 15, 2009, 9:12:13 AM7/15/09
to Google Wave API
My thoughts exactly.

Scott Thomson

Jul 15, 2009, 8:52:36 PM7/15/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
My original enthusiasm is certainly being strained by both a lack of access and a lack of any form of communication regarding my application.
--
Scott Thomson
0401 726 889

Carver

Jul 16, 2009, 4:18:47 PM7/16/09
to Google Wave API
I am as excited about Wave as the next guy (probably more), but I
understand the Wave team is weighing tricky tradeoffs. A good API
design takes a lot of effort, and that means a fluid API while the
kinks are worked out.

As soon as the team publishes officially, we will all start writing
extensions for it. Then they would be punished for API changes that
don't come with a lot of warning and a major point release.

Cheers,
Carver

http://slique.com - builds group memory by putting all your group's
email, files and documents in one place
I'm not being curt, I'm just using http://five.sentenc.es/

On Jul 15, 8:52 pm, Scott Thomson <scott.mcauley.thom...@gmail.com>

Walter Pienciak

Jul 16, 2009, 4:32:37 PM7/16/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I have plenty of things to do, so like most will lurk and keep
half an eye on developments here. Without sandbox access,
there's not much to do really.

I'm a little surprised by the deafening silence after the initial
announcement/hoopla, but figure either the core team is stunned by
the response or have some serious issues to iron out. If it's
the former, though, periodic "here's where we stand"
announcements to the developer community waiting for access would
go far.

Walter

Scott Thomson

Jul 16, 2009, 6:50:19 PM7/16/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I think most of us grumps would be soothed by regular official status updates.

Ed Rooney

Jul 16, 2009, 10:34:47 PM7/16/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
reading documentation in a black hole vs. kicking the tires of a sandbox account to really get the juices flowing... without access it just seems moot to spend energy and effort trying to grasp the potential.

TimMoore

Jul 17, 2009, 7:20:25 AM7/17/09
to Google Wave API
I have a ton of interest and am ready to roll my sleeves up but still
waiting to recieve my account. It is frustrating to be a frontline
advocate and get zero (so far) from Google. I can't even get them to
respond to my trouble tickets

RickB

Jul 17, 2009, 11:21:26 AM7/17/09
to Google Wave API
Honestly guys, I don't think you're missing much by not being able to
access the Sandbox, at least not from a development standpoint. The
API is very limited right now. Most of the robots I've seen thus far
aren't that interesting or valuable, largely due to those
limitations. Gadgets are gadgets, whether hosted in Wave or in other
containers. Plus, I have a feeling the API is going to change quite a
bit.

The sandbox does give you a chance to see how the Wave user experience
might be, but even that is quite raw right now.

I do understand your frustration and empathize with it, though. FWIW,
we're probably going to put Wave on the shelf for a couple of months
while it matures, becomes more fully functional, and stabilizes. Just
not a lot of useful things to do with it right now.

Scott Thomson

Jul 18, 2009, 9:57:51 PM7/18/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Rick.  I appreciate the description.