rich text "fields"

Bruce

Jun 1, 2009, 12:50:03 PM6/1/09
to Google Wave API
Does Wave's rich text support include the ability to have field-like
behavior?

I'm a scholar, and developer of the Citation Style Language (CSL)*. So
the use case I'm contemplating here is a citation robot that would
automatically insert citations in text. Those citations would get
reformatted as the content changes, or if the user(s) choose a
different style. Users would be able to export such documents to other
formats such as ODF and OOXML (even LaTeX), and have the citation
field logic preserved.

Possible? I'm guessing not, so post this for consideration ...

Also, I'd hope that you consider the possibility of longer document
authoring in Wave, and include support for the new "section" structure
in HTML 5.

Bruce

* http://xbiblio.sourceforge.net/csl/

Austin

Jun 1, 2009, 2:18:02 PM6/1/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce,

I am thinking that you might be do this with document annotation.  Each blip of a wavelet has a document and a document can be tagged with annotations.  You can assign specific meta data as annotation via name/value pairs.  You can checkout the JavaDoc for this -

http://wave-robot-java-client.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/doc/com/google/wave/api/Annotation.html

Cheers,
Austin

Bruce

Jun 1, 2009, 2:44:41 PM6/1/09
to Google Wave API
Thanks Austin.

On Jun 1, 2:18 pm, Austin <api.aus...@google.com> wrote:

> I am thinking that you might be do this with document annotation.  Each blip
> of a wavelet has a document and a document can be tagged with annotations.
> You can assign specific meta data as annotation via name/value pairs.

So, basically, any blip can get any arbitrary number of name/value
pairs associated with it.

Yeah, that might work.

Brainstorming ...

One can have many citation references to the same source; would be a
little odd to duplicate all that data. This is why a citation in most
doc formats that support it is a link to a metadata description.

So, then, can one also annotate links? I'm wondering about maybe
attaching a "property=cite" or some such annotation to links, where
the href URI identifies the source. That way a robot could simply
match that against some data and generate the link content.

This would also seem consistent with RDFa, and some of the microdata
stuff under discussion for HTML 5 (which I'd love to see Wave find a
way to exploit).

Bruce

Mohammady Mahdy

Jun 2, 2009, 2:45:55 AM6/2/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
you can attach it once and refer to it in other properties instead of creating copies

Bruce

Jun 2, 2009, 9:38:48 AM6/2/09
to Google Wave API

On Jun 2, 2:45 am, Mohammady Mahdy <mohammady.ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> you can attach it once and refer to it in other properties instead of
> creating copies

Attach "it" (metadata) to a blip and refer to it from another
annotated blip?

What about annotated links? From what I can tell, links aren't
supported at all ATM?

Bruce

Mohammady Mahdy

Jun 2, 2009, 11:37:15 AM6/2/09