Java robot setField() does not work

Solomon Wu

Dec 10, 2009, 5:09:44 AM12/10/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com

We are also hitting issue #406. When using setField to set gadget state, gadget does not receive the state change. Since we are trying to use it for robot-gadget interaction, the robot has to change gadget state in response to gadget state change. Is there a workaround? Thank you very much. http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/detail?id=406&q=setfield&colspec=Stars%20ID%20Type%20Status%20Priority%20Milestone%20Owner%20Summary%20Internal On Nov 17, 1:56 am, "pamela (Google Employee)" <pamela...@gmail.com> wrote: > It does work, and many robots do so, but there are some bugs filed about > cases where it does not work. For example:http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/list?can=2&q=se... > <http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/list?can=2&q=se...> > > > > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Jacco <jacc...@gmail.com> wrote: > > I think currently communicating from robot to gadget is not possible? > > > The gadget.setField does not change the state of the gadget in my > > tests. > > > Regards, Jacco > > > On 12 nov, 16:48, just marvin <marvin.greenb...@gmail.com> wrote: > > > It occurs to me that since you'll need a bot and a gadget, you could > > > just have the bot add the gadget(s) to the wave.  Then you just need > > > to add one thing to the wave and you'll know you have the correct > > > environment for the gadgets. > > > -- > > > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > > "Google Wave API" group. > > To post to this group, send email to google-...@googlegroups.com. > > To unsubscribe from this group, send email to > > google-wave-a...@googlegroups.com<google-wave-api%2Bunsubscribe@ googlegroups.com> > > . > > For more options, visit this group at > >http://groups.google.com/group/google-wave-api?hl=.

dougx

Dec 10, 2009, 8:57:46 PM12/10/09
to Google Wave API
I suggest using XSS to communicate directly with your server and don't
use the robot-gadget api.

Here's an example of how to get the XSS working;
http://austinchau.blogspot.com/2008/11/html5-cross-document-messaging.html

Once you have that up and running collect robot triggered changes
server-side and poll the server using xss; then push the state changes
into the state from that gadget instance.

Nb. Make sure you only pick one instance of the gadget to do the state
changes, or you'll get spammed to death on your server when lots of
people open the wave.

(not a very nice solution, I know, but it works).

~
Doug.

On Dec 10, 6:09 pm, Solomon Wu <sws...@gmail.com> wrote:
> We are also hitting issue #406. When using setField to set gadget state,
> gadget does not receive the state change. Since we are trying to use it for
> robot-gadget interaction, the robot has to change gadget state in response
> to gadget state change. Is there a workaround? Thank you very much.http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/detail?id=406&q...

Sol Wu

Jan 17, 2010, 7:18:24 PM1/17/10
to Google Wave API
Regarding using robot to change gadget state, here is some more info
on this that people may find useful:

1. Python robot is able to change gadget state. GadgetSubmitDelta()
works when we tried it.
2. during office hour, Google mentions that Java robot does not have
this problem on the new Java client. :)

On Dec 10 2009, 5:57 pm, dougx <douglas.lin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I suggest using XSS to communicate directly with your server and don't
> use the robot-gadget api.
>

> Here's an example of how to get the XSS working;http://austinchau.blogspot.com/2008/11/html5-cross-document-messaging...

> Once you have that up and running collect robot triggered changes
> server-side and poll the server using xss; then push the state changes
> into the state from that gadget instance.
>
> Nb. Make sure you only pick one instance of the gadget to do the state
> changes, or you'll get spammed to death on your server when lots of
> people open the wave.
>
> (not a very nice solution, I know, but it works).
>
> ~
> Doug.
>
> On Dec 10, 6:09 pm, Solomon Wu <sws...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > We are also hitting issue #406. When usingsetFieldto set gadget state,

> > gadget does not receive the state change. Since we are trying to use it for
> > robot-gadget interaction, the robot has to change gadget state in response
> > to gadget state change. Is there a workaround? Thank you very much.http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/detail?id=406&q...
> > Nov 17, 1:56 am, "pamela (Google Employee)" <pamela...@gmail.com> wrote: > It does work, and many robots do so, but there
>
> > are some bugs filed about > cases where it does not work. For example:http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/list?can=2&q=se... > <http://code.google.com/p/google-wave-resources/issues/list?can=2&q=se...> >> > > On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM, Jacco <jacc...@gmail.com> wrote: > >
>
> > I think currently communicating from robot to gadget is not possible? > > >

> > The gadget.setFielddoes not change the state of the gadget in my > > tests.> > > Regards, Jacco > > > On 12 nov, 16:48, just marvin <

Solomon Wu

Jan 17, 2010, 8:54:43 PM1/17/10
to Google Wave API
Moreover, thanks to Douglas Linder, he has modified the Java robot client to add a method updateGadgetState() that allow robot to update gadget state.