Google Summer of Code 2010 is On......

LH

Jan 26, 2010, 7:09:25 PM1/26/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hello everyone,

Many of you were wondering if Google Summer of Code 2010 is on for
2010 and the answer is yes! We will begin accepting application from
would-be mentoring organizations beginning March 8th at approximately
19:00 UTC, with applications closing on March 12th at 23:00 UTC.
Students can apply between 19:00 UTC on March 29th to 19:00 UTC on
April 9th.

We will be updating the program website [0], including the FAQs [1],
over the next few days. Not much is going to change except the
timeline, though there are a few FAQs that will be added. If you have
any questions in the interim please do send them to the list. Please
note that questions about which project you should select, etc., will
likely be responded to with "depends on your skill set," so please
take the time to do some research [2] about which project is right for
you.

While mentoring organizations for 2010 will be announced until March
18th, a great number of the projects that have participated in the
past [3] will return once again in 2010. Of course, that's not a
guarantee and we cannot accept every great project that applies. But
if you want to get a jump start on your participation in GSoC 2010,
considering lurking in the IRC channel of a past participating project
and seeing what useful things you can learn about their code base and
community. Check out project forums to see if it's a place you'd like
to spend your time.

I'll be sending a follow up message in a few minutes about what to
expect in the next few days/weeks and how you can help Google Summer
of Code 2010.

Google Summer of Code 2010 is on! Celebrate!

[0] - http://socghop.appspot.com

[1] - http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2009/faqs

[2] - http://delicious.com/gsoc2009

[3] - http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2009

Cheers,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn
Program Manager - Open Source

http://code.google.com/opensource/

I blog here:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com - http://www.hawthornlandings.org

Loïc Corbasson

Jan 26, 2010, 7:16:21 PM1/26/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Great! Looking forward to this year's edition and new contributions to FLOSS development!

Best,

Loïc Corbasson (SoC 2007 / KDE)

Muslim Chochlov

Jan 27, 2010, 9:19:11 AM1/27/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
That's how the good news sound like!

siddharth srivastava

Jan 27, 2010, 12:38:23 AM1/27/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
cheers

2010/1/26 Loïc Corbasson <loic.co...@gmail.com>:

--
Siddharth Srivastava

(Rich Kulawiec)

Navin Agarwal

Jan 28, 2010, 5:00:22 AM1/28/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi Leslie Hawthorn,

Thats great News that the contest is going to start ..

I am really interested to be the part of that..
Kindly keep us update regarding the contest.

> [1] -http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2009...
>
> [2] -http://delicious.com/gsoc2009
>
> [3] -http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2009

Aramis

Jan 28, 2010, 10:42:05 AM1/28/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss

Thats a grand news!! Though i will be joining for the first time, and
that makes it all the more exciting for me.
;) Waiting for March to come.

Aman (neshu) Agarwal

Jan 28, 2010, 12:17:36 PM1/28/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

I am also really exited about the GSOC 2010.. Hope will be a grand hit even bigger than 2009 :D

:-Aman

Michael McGinn

Jan 28, 2010, 7:11:59 PM1/28/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Fantastic! Thank you Google for doing this amazing program for all of us current and would-be developers who want to contribute to the open source movement!

I will be helping to find students and developers in the Bothell, WA area to find a project to work on.

--
Michael Scott McGinn, Founder
WAPTUG-Web Application Programming Technology Users Group

Eric

Jan 29, 2010, 2:53:10 AM1/29/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Awesome, I hope there's some more really cool new projects I haven't
seen yet that enter. So will student's application period start around
the same time as last year (23rd)?

Evgeniy Ivanov (powerfox)

Jan 31, 2010, 6:11:18 AM1/31/10

On Jan 27, 3:09 am, LH <lho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>

> [3] -http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2009

It is broken... List is empty.

Ehsan

Jan 29, 2010, 2:15:19 PM1/29/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi LH

I was wondering how many students and organizations will be accepted
to this year's GSoC?

Best
Ehsan

Gary Bradski

Jan 29, 2010, 4:39:21 PM1/29/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I'll post a GSoC broadcast to the OpenCV list (>40K members) ... just as soon as we're not talking about 2009.

Could someone in Mtn View at least flip the digit on http://socghop.appspot.com/ ?  Perhaps a light dusting too?

Otherwise it will generate a baleful bounty of confused chatter.

Gary

Mtakai

Feb 2, 2010, 12:18:49 AM2/2/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi all,
Great news and looking forward to taking part in this.

Regards
Mtakai

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 2, 2010, 5:32:59 PM2/2/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary,

Only so many pairs of hands I'm afraid. We're waiting for the go ahead internally on some site documentation (e.g. our FAQs) and I want to make all updates at once.

If you're itching to post something, why not link to the thread here announcing the dates? If not, the updates will be made in a few days, hopefully sooner rather than later.

Cheers,
LH

Satya Prakash

Feb 4, 2010, 5:28:16 AM2/4/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
help me how to start with

PREETHI RAMESH

Feb 5, 2010, 2:33:22 AM2/5/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I would love to help! Where should I start from?

blackfire

Feb 5, 2010, 11:11:41 AM2/5/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
hi everybody ,
i m a newbie to the open source community and gsoc. Plz guide me about
how to prepare for gsoc 2010.
thanks a lot in advance .

> [3] -http://socghop.appspot.com/gsoc/program/accepted_orgs/google/gsoc2009

Aecio F. Neto

Feb 8, 2010, 11:43:08 AM2/8/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I was a mentor in GSoC 2009 and we would like to apply again, but
under a different organization.
Since I was not involved in the process of getting the organization
registration for the student application, how to proceed now?

I read that all results will be listed out in March 08 and I would not
like to loose the deadline.

Regards, Neto.

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 8, 2010, 12:51:32 PM2/8/10
On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:15 AM, Ehsan <ehsan...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi LH

I was wondering how many students and organizations will be accepted
to this year's GSoC?

Around 150, same as last year.

Best,
LH

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 8, 2010, 12:59:07 PM2/8/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Go ahead and contact the organization you would like to mentor for and ask them about their plans for applying to GSoC 2010. You can then help them with their application, etc.

Best,
LH

Timotei Dolean

Feb 11, 2010, 9:12:30 AM2/11/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I don't know if here is the best place to write of, but I hope so.

On the new site there is a reference to the gsoc 2009 (http://
socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs)
At the paragraph "Important Dates" on the 5th row of the table: "List
of accepted mentoring organizations published on the Google Summer of
Code 2009 site."

Shouldn't that be "Summer of Code 2010 site"?

Timotei

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 16, 2010, 1:26:01 PM2/16/10
On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:12 AM, Timotei Dolean <timo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I don't know if here is the best place to write of, but I hope so.

On the new site there is a reference to the gsoc 2009 (http://
socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/faqs)
At the paragraph "Important Dates" on the 5th row of the table: "List
of accepted mentoring organizations published on the Google Summer of
Code 2009 site."

Shouldn't that be "Summer of Code 2010 site"?

Fixed - thanks for the bug report!

Cheers,
LH

Zhang Junbo