How Projects Get Approved

robg

Mar 20, 2007, 1:35:24 AM3/20/07
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
This is my first year involved with the Google Summer of Code. I am a
mentor and want to understand how proposals eventually get approved.

I understand that Google approves the Mentoring organizations and I
understand that when the proposals come in they are voted on by
mentors giving a rank.

>From that stage do Google review the proposals or do they simply
advise the mentoring organization of how many of the proposals will be
approved?

The reason I ask is that should the application be written for the
audience of just the mentoring organization or for both the mentoring
organization and Google?

Thanks.

Chris DiBona

Mar 20, 2007, 1:37:48 AM3/20/07
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
We simply tell the orgs how many they get.
--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com

Leslie Hawthorn

Mar 20, 2007, 2:45:52 AM3/20/07
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rob,

On 3/19/07, robg <rgil...@gmail.com> wrote:

This is my first year involved with the Google Summer of Code. I am a
mentor and want to understand how proposals eventually get approved.

I understand that Google approves the Mentoring organizations and I
understand that when the proposals come in they are voted on by
mentors giving a rank.

>From that stage do Google review the proposals or do they simply
advise the mentoring organization of how many of the proposals will be
approved?

As Chris said, we just tell mentoring organizations how many students from the pool of 800 are allocated for their organization.  All proposal review and ranking is done by the mentoring organizations.

The reason I ask is that should the application be written for the
audience of just the mentoring organization or for both the mentoring
organization and Google?

The application should be specifically targeted at the mentoring organization, not at Google.

Cheers,
LH

Thanks.

Yuv

Mar 20, 2007, 7:16:47 PM3/20/07
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi Chris and Leslie

On Mar 20, 2:45 am, "Leslie Hawthorn" <lhawth...@google.com> wrote:
> As Chris said, we just tell mentoring organizations how many students from
> the pool of 800 are allocated for their organization.

am I guessing right that you will allocate the slots to the mentoring
orgs *after* all students applications are in?

what will be the criterias?
* number and quality of students?
* number / quality / availability of mentors?
* quality of project proposals?
* quantity of project proposals (proportional distribution)?

I am asking to figure out what strategy is better: should we focus on
very few promising proposals (and hope that we get as many slots as
possible for them) or submit as many proposals as possible to "grab"
attention?

Yuv

and have a few applications, or try to get as many applications as
possible, wait for the allocation and th

Sage La Torra

Mar 20, 2007, 7:47:38 PM3/20/07
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Speaking as someone who participated last year: Apply to as many
projects as you find interesting, no more, no less. If you apply to
projects your not really interested in, you won't get much out of the
program. Likewise, if you don't apply to something you like, you may
not get to participate at all. So find things that look interesting to
you, put you best foot forward with your application, be responsive to
mentor feedback, and hope for the best.

Sage

yuval levy

Mar 20, 2007, 9:26:42 PM3/20/07
--- Sage La Torra <sag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking as someone who participated last year:
> Apply to as many projects as you find interesting,

Probably I did not express myself clear enough: I am
speaking for a mentoring organization, not for a
student.

As a mentoring organization, our interest is to move
forward our code, i.e. get as many of the slots
allocated by Google as possible and fill them with
qualified students.

My question was: should we as a mentoring organization
focus on a few students/proposals and hope to get them
through, or is there a quantitative factor considered
as well, and the more students apply to code with us
the more slots we get allocated by Google?

Only the Google Open Source Program Office can answer
that. No speculations please.

Yuv

Try the Yahoo! Mail Beta.

Leslie Hawthorn

Mar 20, 2007, 9:30:50 PM3/20/07
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yuv,

On 3/20/07, Yuv <yuval...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Chris and Leslie

On Mar 20, 2:45 am, "Leslie Hawthorn" <lhawth...@google.com> wrote:
> As Chris said, we just tell mentoring organizations how many students from
> the pool of 800 are allocated for their organization.

am I guessing right that you will allocate the slots to the mentoring
orgs *after* all students applications are in?

Correct.

what will be the criterias?
* number and quality of students?
* number / quality / availability of mentors?
* quality of project proposals?
* quantity of project proposals (proportional distribution)?

Criteria are, among other things:
- number of allocated student slots requested
- number of student proposals with mentors assigned to them
- number of applications received by the org overall

I am asking to figure out what strategy is better: should we focus on
very few promising proposals (and hope that we get as many slots as
possible for them) or submit as many proposals as possible to "grab"
attention?

I'd focus on writing as m any very good proposals as you can.  Quality is better than quantity.

Cheers,
LH

Leslie Hawthorn

Mar 20, 2007, 9:33:31 PM3/20/07

On 3/20/07, yuval levy <yuval...@yahoo.com> wrote:

--- Sage La Torra <sag...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Speaking as someone who participated last year:
> Apply to as many projects as you find interesting,

Probably I did not express myself clear enough: I am
speaking for a mentoring organization, not for a
student.

Thanks for clarifying.  I too was confused previously.

As a mentoring organization, our interest is to move
forward our code, i.e. get as many of the slots
allocated by Google as possible and fill them with
qualified students.

My question was: should we as a mentoring organization
focus on a few students/proposals and hope to get them
through, or is there a quantitative factor considered
as well, and the more students apply to code with us
the more slots we get allocated by Google?

Rank the applications just as you would assuming there is no limit to the number of students that will be allocated to your organization.  We'll give everyone at least one week's notice (after all student apps have been received, but before accepted students are announced) as to how many allocated student slots they will receive.  You can then mod up/mod down the scores for applications so you select those your organization truly wants.

Only the Google Open Source Program Office can answer
that. No speculations please.

HTH,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn
Open Source Program Office

Hilmar

Mar 20, 2007, 9:39:23 PM3/20/07
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
That's a strange question to ask. First, you basically ask the Google
Program Office how to game their system (which implies you think it
can be gamed and as a mentor one should try to do so).

Second, if your goal is to get as many slots as possible filled with
qualified students, then you've already answered your question. (I.e.,
the better projects you have to offer and the better you communicate
with prospective students, the more and the better qualified students
you'll presumably attract. Using common sense, Google won't allocate
more students to you than have applied for your projects (though
obviously they may allocate less) ...

I'm not sure this is a speculation ...

yuval levy

Mar 21, 2007, 1:23:55 AM3/21/07
--- Hilmar <hl...@nescent.org> wrote:
> That's a strange question to ask. First, you
> basically ask the Google Program Office how to game
> their system (which implies you think it can be
gamed
> and as a mentor one should try to do so).

I am not sure I understand your point. English is my
fifth language. Is playing a game something negative?
I am trying to understand the rules of the game so
that I can play it better.

> Second, if your goal is to get as many slots as
> possible filled with qualified students, then you've
> already answered your question.

Not necessarily. It depends whether there is a
dependency between the number of applications filed
and the number of slots assigned, or not. And only
Google can answer that question.

> (I.e., the better projects you have to offer and the
> better you communicate with prospective students,
> the more and the better qualified students you'll
> presumably attract.

We have a completely different approach. We don't
offer projects. We offer a framework (the existing
application with all of its shortcomings and
development needs) and mentoring, i.e. advice in all
phases of the process. The student owns the process;
identifies the needs; writes the proposal; gets the
appropriate staffing (from our pool of mentors);
submits the proposal. Of course with our help.

You seem to assume that this is a single round game,
while in effect it is a two rounds game:

in round one, the orgs attract students.
then Google assigns the slots.
in round two, the orgs must select which of the
attracted student to retain.

similarly, the goal can be split in two as well:
- get as many slots as possible (round one)
- fill them with qualified students (round two)

the more slots an org receives after round one, the
easier it is in round two.

> Using common sense, Google won't allocate
> more students to you than have applied for your
> projects (though obviously they may allocate less)

exactly! The allocation is between zero and the number
of students. If we only focus on the most qualified
students, we reduce the number of students. Do we also
reduce the chances for a slot?

> I'm not sure this is a speculation ...

it is as long as the slot assignment rules are a black
box. hence my question to Google about the slot
assignment rules.

Get your own web address.

yuval levy

Mar 21, 2007, 1:27:55 AM3/21/07
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leslie,

--- Leslie Hawthorn <lhaw...@google.com> wrote:
> Rank the applications just as you would assuming
> there is no limit to the number of students that
> will be allocated to your organization.

has the org better chances for a higher number of
slots with a few well rounded applications? or with a
lot of applications that might not be all completely
thought through?

thanks for your answers
Yuv

Finding fabulous fares is fun.

Leslie Hawthorn

Mar 21, 2007, 2:29:40 AM3/21/07
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yuv,

On 3/20/07, yuval levy <yuval...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Leslie,

--- Leslie Hawthorn <lhaw...@google.com> wrote:
> Rank the applications just as you would assuming
> there is no limit to the number of students that
> will be allocated to your organization.

has the org better chances for a higher number of
slots with a few well rounded applications? or with a
lot of applications that might not be all completely
thought through?

thanks for your answers
Yuv

If I'm understanding correctly, the question is if you are more likely to be allocated more students if:

1) You have a smaller number of highly scored/ranked proposals ( i.e. a few well rounded applications)
2) You have a larger number of proposals with decent but not high scores

The answer is that neither matters in terms of the allocation process.  Google does not take into account applications' scores when allocating student applications.  That said, no org will ever receive more allocated student slots than it has student applications with mentors assigned to them.

HTH,
LH

yuval levy

Mar 22, 2007, 2:32:07 AM3/22/07
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Leslie,

--- Leslie Hawthorn <lhaw...@google.com> wrote:
> Google does not take into account applications'
> scores when allocating student applications.

thank you! that answers my questions!

very exciting day. It's fun to coach students in
preparing their project proposals.

As there has been many inspiring flyers posted to this
list lately, here is ours:
<http://www.photopla.net/070322gsoc/>

Yuv

Leslie Hawthorn

Mar 22, 2007, 4:46:10 PM3/22/07
On 3/21/07, yuval levy <yuval...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi Leslie,

--- Leslie Hawthorn <lhaw...@google.com> wrote:
> Google does not take into account applications'
> scores when allocating student applications.

thank you! that answers my questions!

very exciting day. It's fun to coach students in
preparing their project proposals.

As there has been many inspiring flyers posted to this
list lately, here is ours:
<http://www.photopla.net/070322gsoc/>

Yuv

Great, thanks Yuv.  Now on the wiki: