Odds for a novice developer

Lokesh Thakar

Mar 9, 2009, 2:04:10 PM3/9/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am mailing with some questions more personal then technical.

Frankly, I am an infant developer, with skill set of C/C++ and Java, to accompany HTML and Javascript (read not AJAX).

My style of developing, I rely more on requirements....ie...I am not in favour of stacking up coding knowlege....I beleive in acting when a problem arises. Self introspections tell me, I can forsee systems faster then my peers.

Very recently I joined one of the Open Source projects...where I am yet to attain the status of a comitter.!

What I need to ask is??

a. What is the expectency of me being alloted to any project?
b. If, you are able to close it down on "No"...then something I could do to join a project??

Volunteering for the first time...would sincerely respect any help/guidance!

Thanks and Regards
Lokesh Thakar

matt.ra...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2009, 4:12:56 PM3/9/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Lokesh,

As a potential mentor I think that a new developer's chances are
driven by two factors: the project they're applying to and themselves.

My project has a wealth of smaller, bite sized pieces to do that are
fantastic learning opportunities but not all projects will have these
kinds of options available to students.

As for it being partially up to you - this may be a bit misleading -
what I mean by that is that mentors may consider how your approach
them. If I had a new developer come to me and swear they can take on
the world given enough time I'd likely pass that to-good-to-be-true
story. Likewise if I had a new programmer that totally undersold
themselves I'd have to pass as well. It's a matter of how your portray
yourself, your character and your work ethic. Don't over promise, be
realistic and look for things that interest you.

One of the things you said was that you rely more in requirements -
this simple fact means you should target organizations who are more
structured and rigid than a stereotypical home-brew open-source
project. Target the organizations where you'll be a fit and you should
do just fine. The best way to do this is to talk to some of them and
see who they are, how they work in advance.
> *Thanks and Regards
> Lokesh Thakar*

Kavita Manandhar

Mar 9, 2009, 4:40:39 PM3/9/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matt,

I started Java few months back. My background is Computer Science . I wanted to know how to search for organization that are looking for Java developers for Google-Summer-of-code.

Thank you
Kavita

Nandeep Mali

Mar 9, 2009, 4:45:52 PM3/9/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 2:10 AM, Kavita Manandhar
<manandha...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Matt,
> I started Java few months back. My background is Computer Science . I wanted
> to know how to search for organization that are looking for Java developers
> for Google-Summer-of-code.
> Thank you
> Kavita

Hi,

This is a similar post like many before. It would be good if you can
look through the archives before posting a query to confirm that its
not been asked yet. This mailing list has a lot of advice in its
archives. Also its considered rude to ask your question in someone
else's thread. That's thread hijacking. So please do not do that.

Independent research is the key to learning. It also saves other
people's times. To start you off here are some links that would help
you:

General FAQ:
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html

Categorized listing of past year's organisations:
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforStudents

Similar Post and reply by Leslie:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-summer-of-code-discuss/browse_thread/thread/4b5e121a1f9a693d?hl=en

Good Luck!

Kind Regards
Nandeep

Kavita Manandhar

Mar 10, 2009, 12:31:47 PM3/10/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for the information and I do apologize for using someone else's thread.
Will check out the links.

Thanks again