In case of selection by more than 1 organizarion

Leo Tolstoy

Apr 1, 2010, 11:45:46 AM4/1/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi,

I read in the FAQ about the situation when a student is selected by
more than one organisation, but nothing was mentioned clearly, as if
whether the student will be asked about his choice or will it will be
the organisations only that will decide among themselves.

Can anyone tell me whats the procedure adopted in such situations ??

Regards,
Leo

Jimmy O'Regan

Apr 1, 2010, 12:07:24 PM4/1/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

The organisations in question are contacted; if they can't resolve it
between themselves, there's an IRC meeting to help to do so. It really
depends on the organisations, the projects, ... well, on everything,
whether or not the student is asked - it's not something you should
count on.

--
<Leftmost> jimregan, that's because deep inside you, you are evil.
<Leftmost> Also not-so-deep inside you.

Leo Tolstoy

Apr 2, 2010, 2:59:26 AM4/2/10
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Does that mean that I should not apply for more than one
organisations?
If this is the case then the liberty to apply fore more than one
organisations is useless.

I would be really thankful to the organisers if they enlighten me on
this issue ...

Regards,
Rahul Verma

Mohammed Gamal

Apr 2, 2010, 11:02:03 AM4/2/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Before announcing the final list of accepted students, an IRC
conflict-resolution meeting is held. It should be attended by the
mentors who selected students and the students who got selected by
more than 1 org. You'll most likely know if you're selected by more
than one organization from your mentors. During the meeting the
student can select which organization to continue with, however if the
student doesn't attend this meeting, he's most likely going to be
assigned to an organization arbitrarily.

Dirk Haun

Apr 2, 2010, 11:11:49 AM4/2/10
On Apr 2, 8:59 am, Leo Tolstoy <leo.tolstoy.2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Does that mean that I should not apply for more than one
> organisations?

It means you should not apply for projects you don't really want to
do :)

The organizations will probably ask you for your preference. But there
may be circumstances when you won't or can't be asked.

yf6...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2010, 12:43:10 AM4/3/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
when I kick accepting applications in website
http://socghop.appspot.com/site/home/site
I receive an error as:
"You cannot become a Student because you are already participating in this
program".
I seem not participating in gsoc 2010.

yf

Aaron S. Meurer

Apr 3, 2010, 2:57:26 PM4/3/10
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I had a similar problem. I think I solved it by using the submit proposal link on the left instead of the one at the top of the main page.

Aaron Meurer