How much working time for each week?

Duruo Li

Feb 13, 2012, 3:11:15 AM2/13/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello Coders,

If you had participated in Summer Code last year, could you share that how much time you push yourself into the project each week such as hours? Because I am planning my schedule, I know the time depends on the organizations, but I hope I can have some general working time information.

Duruo Li
--
From Duruo Li;

Duruo Li == a code animal
try to catch him @ Computer Science George Fox University

akash mehrotra

Feb 13, 2012, 10:15:39 AM2/13/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Budget 40 hours/week at a minimum

For the 1st few weeks add 5-10 hours extra

Carol Smith

Feb 13, 2012, 12:30:53 PM2/13/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 12:11 AM, Duruo Li <ldur...@georgefox.edu> wrote:
Hello Coders,

If you had participated in Summer Code last year, could you share that how much time you push yourself into the project each week such as hours? Because I am planning my schedule, I know the time depends on the organizations, but I hope I can have some general working time information.

You should approach participation in GSoC like a full-time job, so at least 40 hours per week and sometimes more.

Cheers,
Carol

Wenshan Ren

Feb 13, 2012, 5:56:38 PM2/13/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
More than 40 hours/week, which means if you work 8 hours a day, it will takes you around 5 days per week.  That sounds quite a lot for students who need to spend some time on their school units.

Can I ask how many weeks have you spent on GSoC? Was your work mainly done during summer holiday?

Cheers,
Wenshan

Michael Downey

Feb 14, 2012, 3:03:37 PM2/14/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wenshan,

These estimates seem pretty accurate, and I believe that the majority
of students are living in the Northern Hemisphere so are working on
GSoC during summer holidays. In our GSoC mentor summits, we have
mentioned that the timing of the program poses some challenges for
students in the Southern Hemisphere who remain in autumn and spring
sessions at university during the time of GSoC. Personally, I haven't
heard any stories of how students there have adapted to the schedule.
Perhaps Carol or others on the list might have some anecdotes.

Good luck!
Michael

Wenshan Ren

Feb 14, 2012, 5:46:16 PM2/14/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, Michael.
I am studying in Austrlia and our winter (winter of code, hah) holiday is just one month.
I want to ask do we need to spend 40 or more hours on GSoC (I'd like to personally) every week from May 21 to August 20 (around 13 weeks), or just need to work hard for fewer number of weeks? Because our winter holiday begins at June 22 and ends at July 25, I'm afraid there isn't enough time for me to get the expected result.

Cheers,
Wenshan

ajay kulkarni

Feb 14, 2012, 11:02:09 PM2/14/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I am from India. I don't have summer holidays here. but still though I can spend some 30 hours for GSOC. Is that enough for me to complete GSOC within August 20?

akash mehrotra

Feb 15, 2012, 1:14:43 AM2/15/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
You dont have the break between the even and odd semester?

Which course ?

Jayanth Manklu

Feb 15, 2012, 10:57:45 AM2/15/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
smart work might perhaps reduce time required per week. Waiting for opinions...

ajay kulkarni

Feb 15, 2012, 3:37:33 AM2/15/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I'm in computer science...... Odd semester is going on now

Dirk Haun

Feb 15, 2012, 12:50:37 PM2/15/12
On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 4:57 PM, Jayanth Manklu <jayan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> smart work might perhaps reduce time required per week. Waiting for
> opinions...

I wouldn't get too hung up on the 40 hours number, but GSoC should be
your main focus during those 3 or so months. I.e. you should not have
a second job or anything else that's important and may require your
full attention at times.

Of course all this is already disussed in the FAQ and the Student Manual:
http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2012/faqs#time
http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCStudentGuide/ch018_time-management-for-students/

Carol Smith

Feb 15, 2012, 12:51:46 PM2/15/12

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 7:57 AM, Jayanth Manklu <jayan...@gmail.com> wrote:
smart work might perhaps reduce time required per week. Waiting for opinions...

My opinion is you should speak to the organization you'd like to work with and get the skeleton of a schedule for the project you'd like to work on in place. That way you can judge how much time you and the organization think it will take together.

Cheers,
Carol