Free Review Board hosting for Summer of Code

Christian Hammond

May 2, 2008, 3:42:44 AM5/2/08
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi everyone.

I'm one of the lead developers of Review Board, an open source tool
for making the code review process easier and keeping track to all
revisions of diffs and all reviews made for a project. It provides a
really nice diff viewer with syntax highlighting and inline commenting
for reviews, interdiffs (to show what's changed between revisions of
your change), status reports, and much more.

Since not all projects have the resources or time to set up a Review
Board server, and most are unfamiliar with it, we've decided to offer
free hosting on our GSoC Review Board server (http://gsoc.review-
board.org/). We'll set up your project on the server, help you get
things running, and provide support.

We'll accept up to 30 project requests on a first-come first-serve
basis. We're opening it for the length of this year's Summer of Code,
and we ask that all changes submitted be Summer of Code-related. If
your project is interested in setting up an independent Review Board
server down the road, we'll gladly help move over your review history.

We have a wiki page explaining what information we need and describing
what we're doing a bit more. It's up at:
http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/wiki/Summer_Of_Code_Hosting

You can also read a bit more about Review Board at http://www.review-board.org/
or see our presentation from LugRadio Live at http://blip.tv/file/827320

If you're interested, let us know, and we'll be glad to answer any
questions you may have.

Note: This offer isn't provided by Google, nor do you have to take
advantage of it to participate in Summer of Code. It's simply a way
for us to contribute to the Summer of Code project where we can, and
to help us improve our project's usefulness in open source.

Thanks!

Christian

Chris DiBona

May 2, 2008, 10:32:27 AM5/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
1) This is feeling pretty spammy.
2) This has no official connection to the summer of code.

Chris

--
Open Source Programs Manager, Google Inc.
Google's Open Source program can be found at http://code.google.com

Leslie Hawthorn

May 2, 2008, 12:52:25 PM5/2/08
On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 7:32 AM, Chris DiBona <cdi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1) This is feeling pretty spammy.
> 2) This has no official connection to the summer of code.

To be fair, Christian did contact me to ask me if it was OK to offer
this to our GSoC students and I didn't see a problem with it.

Christian, you did neglect to mention, as I asked you to do, that this
offer is not an official part of Summer of Code.

Cheers,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn
Program Manager - Open Source

http://code.google.com/opensource/

I blog here:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com - http://www.hawthornlandings.org

Chris DiBona

May 2, 2008, 12:54:35 PM5/2/08
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Okay, fair enough. (he did disclaim at the end) but I don't want this
to get out of hand. I'm seeing twitter updates and stuff here and
that's what prompted my notes.

Chris