Changing the institution I am affiliated to

Velvet Ghost

Apr 3, 2012, 10:26:50 PM4/3/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I am presently in a transitional phase of my career, and facing a complex situation regarding specifying the institution I am affiliated to (in my GSOC application). I hold a master's degree in computer science (already completed).
  • I am presently at the Indian Statistical Institute in India, where I am officially enrolled as a 'project-linked' researcher (I can furnish documents to support this claim). I conduct research in the same manner as a PhD student, but I am not officially listed as a PhD student, due to some fellowship issues. Am I eligible to participate in GSOC 2012 as a student at the Indian Statistical Institute?
  • Secondly, I have been admitted to the University of Kentucky, to join as a CS PhD student starting in fall 2012. From your FAQ I understand that students admitted but not yet enrolled are eligible to participate. This would indicate that I can apply as a UKY PhD student. However, I am presently waiting for admissions decisions from other universities. Depending on these, I may eventually enroll in some other university and not UKY. Can I register as a UKY student now, and change my institution later? Keep in mind that this may not be necessary (I may enroll at UKY after all).
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Mashiat Sarker Shakkhar

Apr 3, 2012, 11:39:27 PM4/3/12
On 4/4/2012 8:26 AM, Velvet Ghost wrote:
> I am presently in a transitional phase of my career, and facing a
> complex situation regarding specifying the institution I am affiliated
> to (in my GSOC application). I hold a master's degree in computer
> science (already completed).
>
> * I am presently at the Indian Statistical Institute in India, where I

> am officially enrolled as a 'project-linked' researcher (I can
> furnish documents to support this claim). I conduct research in the
> same manner as a PhD student, but I am not officially listed as a
> PhD student, due to some fellowship issues. Am I eligible to
> participate in GSOC 2012 as a student at the Indian Statistical
> Institute?
> * Secondly, I have been *admitted* to the University of Kentucky, to

> join as a CS PhD student starting in fall 2012. From your FAQ I
> understand that students admitted but not yet enrolled are eligible
> to participate. This would indicate that I can apply as a UKY PhD
> student. However, I am presently waiting for admissions decisions
> from other universities. Depending on these, I may eventually enroll
> in some other university and not UKY. Can I register as a UKY
> student now, and change my institution later? Keep in mind that this
> may not be necessary (I may enroll at UKY after all).
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
[...]

As far as I know, you have to turn-in papers from the institution you
will be enrolled in on the first day of coding period. (probably 22nd
May) To me it sounds like you will not be officially enrolled in any of
the institutes on that day. Will you be an officially enrolled student
of UKY on the first day of coding period? Will they issue a letter
testifying that?

Remember that you don't need to submit any paper right now. It will be
required only after you get selected for the program by some
participating organization.

Regards
Shakkhar

Sahil Patwardhan

Apr 4, 2012, 1:40:05 AM4/4/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

Its April 23, 2012 if I am not wrong and not May 22, 2012. The start
of the coding period is 22nd May, but you should be enrolled/admitted
in a University by 23rd April.

> Remember that you don't need to submit any paper right now. It will be
> required only after you get selected for the program by some participating
> organization.
>
> Regards
> Shakkhar
>

> --

Thanks and Regards,
Sahil Patwardhan
B.Tech (Computer Engg)
College Of Engineering, Pune

Velvet Ghost

Apr 4, 2012, 1:55:45 AM4/4/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for writing in.

I will be enrolled at SOME institution (which may or may not be UKY) on May 22.

Unfortunately, I have to specify the name of the institution NOW. It must specified right in the 'Register as a student' form. I don't need to show any papers now, but I do need to specify the name of the institution. Since I don't know which institution I will enroll at, this is a problem. I do know that I will enroll at some institution, since I already have an offer from UKY.

Could someone at Google please comment on this, and also comment on whether my present position at the ISI makes me eligible to participate?

Velvet Ghost

Apr 4, 2012, 2:09:37 AM4/4/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
I have ALREADY been admitted. I don't need to wait till April 23rd for that. The problem is that I may receive more admits and change my destination before April 23rd, whereas I need to specify the name of the institution NOW (within 2 days).

--
Thanks and Regards,
Sahil Patwardhan
B.Tech (Computer Engg)
College Of Engineering, Pune

> google-summer-of-code-discuss@googlegroups.com.

> google-summer-of-code-discuss+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Stephanie Taylor

Apr 4, 2012, 1:47:59 PM4/4/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Yes, you can apply, just put down the name of the institute you believe you will be attending in the fall and then if you are accepted as a student Google will ask you to provide the proof of your admission status and if your school choice has changed in that time period you can update the profile.

Best,
Stephanie

Stephanie Taylor | Open Source Programs, Google |

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/google-summer-of-code-discuss/-/KjsYlm6hSRQJ.

Velvet Ghost

Apr 4, 2012, 11:22:11 PM4/4/12
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hello and thanks for your reply. That solves my problem completely!