Google Summer of Code 2009 is a go!

LH

Jan 7, 2009, 11:17:44 AM1/7/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hello everyone,

While we will be making a formal announcement with more details later
this year, we wanted to let all would-be student participants in
Google Summer of Code 2009 know that we will be holding the program
once again this year. If you are interested in participating, it's a
great idea to begin investigating FOSS projects you would enjoy
contributing to *now*.

Not sure where to get started? No time like the present to subscribe
to project mailing lists, hang out in project IRC channels or in their
forums, check out some source code and start investigating how things
work. We have universally heard from our mentors that their most
successful students are those who got involved with the project early.
You'll look great to your would-be mentors if you ask them smart
questions. Major bonus points if you submit a patch or two. Going
through your first code reviews with a new Open Source project is a
rite of passage in FOSS development and it's a great way to show that
you are engaged with the project. Remember, your mentors want to learn
more about both your strengths and weaknesses, so don't be afraid to
make mistakes. They happen to the best of us.

If you're trying to decide which projects may be right for you or
would like to hear some advice from past participants, check out our
Advice for Students page:
http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforStudents

We'll be letting folks know more details at the upcoming FOSDEM
conference, so until then stay tuned for more details. Please bear in
mind, though, that not all organizations that participated in GSoC
2008 will be returning for 2009. Take time now to explore your
interests and scratch your own itch - that is what Open Source is all
about!

Cheers,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn
Program Manager - Open Source

http://code.google.com/opensource/

I blog here:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com - http://www.hawthornlandings.org

solospider

Jan 7, 2009, 12:31:09 PM1/7/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Very pleased to hear this news!

Michelangelo De Simone

Jan 7, 2009, 12:35:34 PM1/7/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
2009/1/7 LH <lho...@gmail.com>:

> we will be holding the program

Good! That's very nice: investing on us is a major challenge for
Google in these times. Thank you!
--

Joan Crawford - "I, Joan Crawford, I believe in the dollar.
Everything I earn, I spend."

neeraj.g...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2009, 2:52:11 AM1/15/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hi Sir,
I am new to this GSoC project and am really excited to work in this
project. Looking forward to GSoC 2009.Any suggestions for dos and
don'ts

Thanks

On Jan 7, 10:35 pm, "Michelangelo De Simone" <micde...@gmail.com>

Leslie Hawthorn

Jan 15, 2009, 6:43:51 PM1/15/09
On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:52 PM, neeraj.g...@gmail.com <neeraj.g...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Sir,
I am new to this GSoC project and am really excited to work in this
project. Looking forward to GSoC 2009.Any suggestions for dos and
don'ts

Thanks

The advice for students wiki page is the place to go for this question. Have fun and good luck!

Cheers,
LH

Frank San Miguel

Jan 18, 2009, 12:56:35 PM1/18/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
I'd like to apply to be a mentoring organization (http://
code.google.com/p/concharto). When will the application for mentoring
organizations be open?

Thanks,

Frank

kaushik saurabh

Jan 18, 2009, 1:00:14 PM1/18/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
i think they are working on their dates. approximately my guess is mid march.
--
k_s.
"Lets make the impossible possible!"

kaushik saurabh

Jan 18, 2009, 1:13:47 PM1/18/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
In year 2008 the program was announced on 25th feb, and 3rd march was the start of Mentoring organizations application submission.
Most probably the new dates will be more or less close to last year

in 2007 March 5: Mentoring organizations began submitting applications.
So u can make a guess now.

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 10, 2009, 6:57:14 PM2/10/09
to Timothy A. Budd, Google Summer of Code Discuss

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 3:42 PM, Timothy A. Budd <bu...@eecs.oregonstate.edu> wrote:
Hey Leslie:

What's with the retro-60's font in this years publicity for GSOC?

Summer of Code, Summer of Love?

That's the idea. Five year anniversary tribute logo sort of thing.

Some of us where there (that is, the 60's) the first time around - not sure I need to revisit it.

 As with payment methods, no logo is going to work well for everyone. We thought it was rather nifty. :)

Cheers,
LH

Manjunath Kalburgi

Mar 21, 2009, 6:03:37 AM3/21/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
use the century and kannada mix fonts in this yours