Project List..

Peter B

Feb 25, 2009, 6:19:14 PM2/25/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hey Everyone,

I was wondering where I can access the project list for the GSoC 2009?
I found the 2008 one, but can't find the 2009. Will it be the same
list, just different projects to work on?

Thanks,
Peter Barbosa

Leslie Hawthorn

Feb 26, 2009, 10:48:13 AM2/26/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

The list of accepted organizations for 2009 will not be published until 18 March 2009.

http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2009/faqs.html#0_1_timeline_5354032302481437_

However, since it is a good idea to start contacting projects now to explore your interests, why not take a look at the list of organizations for 2008 and begin investigating further? While there are no guarantees about which organizations will be accepted in 2009, chances are good that if an organization has participated multiple times in past years that their application would be accepted once again. (Assuming, of course, they choose to apply.)

Best,
LH

--
Leslie Hawthorn
Program Manager - Open Source

http://code.google.com/opensource/

I blog here:

http://google-opensource.blogspot.com - http://www.hawthornlandings.org

morning0070

Feb 26, 2009, 8:14:54 PM2/26/09
to google-summer-of-code-discuss
Thanks Leslie Hawthorn!

2009-02-27

morning0070

Feb 26, 2009, 9:41:49 PM2/26/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Just a small plug for my organization, because it's not on last year's list. The thing is, last year OLPC was in charge of the Sugar educational graphical environment and activities, as well as some other software (school server, firmware, a few customizations on upstream packages). This year, that responsibility has been split between Sugarlabs (Sugar and most activities) and OLPC (some activities and other). Thus, you won't see Sugarlabs on last year's list, but we at Sugarlabs hope we nonetheless have a fair chance of getting accepted. Our wiki is at sugarlabs.org, our main IRC is #sugar on freenode, and we have a number of mailing lists which are listed on our wiki.

Jameson

Peli

Mar 13, 2009, 5:56:41 AM3/13/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Also, our organization (OpenIntents) will not be found on previous
years lists: We create open source software for the new Android mobile
platform, and this year we apply for GSoC for the first time.

While there is no guarantee that we will be accepted, we invite
interested students to get into touch with us early.

Here is our GSoC page: http://code.google.com/p/openintents/wiki/GSoC2009

And here is our developers' discussion group: http://groups.google.com/group/openintents

Peli
www.openintents.org

On Feb 27, 3:41 am, Jameson Quinn <jameson.qu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Just a small plug for my organization, because it's not on last year's list.
> The thing is, last year OLPC was in charge of the Sugar educational
> graphical environment and activities, as well as some other software (school
> server, firmware, a few customizations on upstream packages). This year,
> that responsibility has been split between Sugarlabs (Sugar and most
> activities) and OLPC (some activities and other). Thus, you won't see
> Sugarlabs on last year's list, but we at Sugarlabs hope we nonetheless have
> a fair chance of getting accepted. Our wiki is at sugarlabs.org, our main
> IRC is #sugar on freenode, and we have a number of mailing lists which are
> listed on our wiki.
>
> Jameson
>
> On Thu, Feb 26, 2009 at 7:14 PM, morning0070 <morning0...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks Leslie Hawthorn!
>
> > 2009-02-27
> > ------------------------------
> > morning0070
> > ------------------------------

Anselm R Garbe

Mar 13, 2009, 6:35:14 AM3/13/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Same here, we haven't applied before either, here is the page of our
project ideas:

http://www.suckless.org/GSoC2009

We are also open to mentor ideas regarding our general scope proposed
by students if they seem to be desirable.

Kind regards,
Anselm

2009/3/13 Peli <peli...@googlemail.com>:
--
--Anselm

Felipe Gaúcho

Mar 13, 2009, 11:51:00 AM3/13/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
the window to promote the ideas is already open ?

Leslie Hawthorn

Mar 13, 2009, 11:53:59 AM3/13/09
On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 8:51 AM, Felipe Gaúcho <fga...@gmail.com> wrote:

the window to promote the ideas is already open ?

Organizations are welcome to let students know that they've applied here and to point them to their Ideas list. As we've said many times before, nothing is final until the list of organizations is published on the GSoC 2009 site on March 18th.

http://socghop.appspot.com

Cheers,
LH

Lance Spitzner

Mar 13, 2009, 12:01:55 PM3/13/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
> the window to promote the ideas is already open ?
>
> Organizations are welcome to let students know that they've applied
> here and to point them to their Ideas list.

With that said, we will jump on board. If anyone is interested in
learning and developing the tools and techniques in capturing the
activities of hackers, please check out the Honeynet Project's Ideas
site. We have a variety of interesting ways for students to become
involved, all focused on learning more about the bad guys and sharing
the lessons learned :)

http://www.honeynet.org/gsoc

Thanks!

lance

Hieu Hoang

Mar 13, 2009, 1:05:58 PM3/13/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
hi everyone,

Just to let you know we've proposed an interesting project working with
the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) to develop automatic translation for the
OLPC hardware. Specifically, we will be using the open source Moses toolkit
http://www.statmt.org/moses/
to create translation system for minority languages. We will initially
focus on Quechua-Spanish, where the OLPC has a large deployment

We think is an interesting and worthy project which would really benefit
from the support and spotlight given to it by the Google Summer of Code.

More details can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Projects/Automatic_translation_software

We would welcome and feedback and comments you might have.

Thanks, and good luck to everyone involved in th GSoC

Hieu

Leslie Hawthorn

Mar 13, 2009, 1:15:02 PM3/13/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com

Folks, I am very happy to have you post to this list to let students know you are interested in participating in GSoC and that you have discrete projects to be worked on whether are not you are a part of GSoC 2009.

When you post these messages, however, please make it clear that you are applying to be a mentoring organization in GSoC 2009 and that there is no guarantee you will be accepted. I realize it has been stated on this list before but it's important to reiterate each time - a student may not be on this list and just have a message forwarded to her, so let's keep expectations clear in all communications.

Cheers,
LH

Ankush Acharya

Mar 14, 2009, 7:20:22 AM3/14/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
Cool, atleast now we will have a track of all those organizations which are participating.

The students can remain in touch with the organizations who could not make it to GSoC-09.....but will be still contributing to open source !
--
Cheers,
Ankush :)

Timur Friedman

Mar 15, 2009, 3:52:06 PM3/15/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
OneLab has applied to participate in GSoC 2009. Our ideas page can be
found here:

http://onelab.eu/index.php/join-us/gsoc-2009.html

We make it clear on that page, and I would like to reemphasize here,
that our GSoC application is pending. With that understood, we would
be delighted to discuss with potential developers.

OneLab contributes to a broad range of open source code as part of its
work to provide a global-scale testbed for networking and distributed
systems research. Among other things, we are co-developers of the
PlanetLab code, which powers the Google-sponsored Measurement Lab.
Among our network measurement projects is the packaging of a
significantly-improved traceroute tool that we have developed, to
eventually replace the current versions of traceroute that are running
on almost all modern operating systems.

Timur Friedman
Scientific Director, OneLab

Jameson Quinn

Mar 15, 2009, 6:28:53 PM3/15/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
This thread has now gotten long enough, and enough people have emailed me privately to ask, that I feel OK re-posting my plug for Sugarlabs, this time with the all-important ideas link. Again, no organizations have been accepted yet, but we'd be happy to have you check us out. **

http://sugarlabs.org/go/DevelopmentTeam/ProjectIdeas

Also, our IRC is #sugar on freenode - we're pretty welcoming.

Also, because a few people have asked me, "but didn't OLPC switch to windows?" - don't believe everything you read on Slashdot. Here's the basics:

1. Sugar is for education, not just for the XO laptop. It runs on most major distros and hardware, and is being deployed in several non-XO configurations (most notable, bootable USB's - "Sugar on a Stick").

2. There are 2 or 3 orders of magnitude more XO laptops with Sugar than with Windows, and Sugar continues to ship on every laptop OLPC makes (with only a tiny fraction dual-boot).

3. In total, nearly a million children in over 40 countries use Sugar regularly.

4. Since we're a whole platform, we have all kinds of tasks - from relatively low-level file systems and communications stuff, up through improvement of UI primitives, up through application development. Probably all project proposals are going to touch some Python, but many could be majority C/C++, Javascript, or other languages. Come on over and get to know us!

Cheers,
Jameson

** Honestly, I hope that students would consider getting involved in a project that interests them even if it isn't accepted; after all, as a student you are hardly guaranteed acceptance either, and there are more important things than the money.

Hieu Hoang

Mar 15, 2009, 6:35:09 PM3/15/09
to google-summer-...@googlegroups.com
hey timur,

your OLPC speech synthesis idea sounds interesting. If you have any
success with the project, would love to know about it.

I'm working on a project to do machine translation for the OLPC and our
project could work well together.

Tim Cook

Mar 15, 2009, 7:03:16 PM3/15/09
On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 16:28 -0600, Jameson Quinn wrote:

> ** Honestly, I hope that students would consider getting involved in a
> project that interests them even if it isn't accepted; after all, as a
> student you are hardly guaranteed acceptance either, and there are
> more important things than the money.

The most important statement made on this list since I joined!

Well, said.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Timothy Cook, MSc
Health Informatics Research & Development Services

signature.asc

David Anderson

Mar 15, 2009, 7:46:05 PM3/15/09
On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Tim Cook <timothyw...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 16:28 -0600, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>
>> ** Honestly, I hope that students would consider getting involved in a
>> project that interests them even if it isn't accepted; after all, as a
>> student you are hardly guaranteed acceptance either, and there are
>> more important things than the money.
>
> The most important statement made on this list since I joined!

While I agree with the general optimistic sentiment...

Until a few months ago, I was a student, and have a different
perspective to offer. Students are not all busy spending the cash from
daddy's credit card. Some have very real financial limits that dictate
what they can and cannot do with their time. In this context, the
money associated with SoC becomes quite vital to get students involved
in the Open Source world, something they might not be able to afford
otherwise.

I participated in SoC 2005 as a student. If I hadn't participated, I'd
have been flipping burgers or manufacturing ball bearings for 8 hours
a day, coming home way too tired to get involved seriously in
anything. The two options were SoC or another job, not SoC or "yay
I'll do open source anyway!".

To paraphrase Malcolm Reynolds: money is nothing until you don't have
it, then it appears to be everything.

- Dave

> Well, said.
>
> Cheers,
> Tim
>

> --
> Timothy Cook, MSc
> Health Informatics Research & Development Services
> LinkedIn Profile:http://www.linkedin.com/in/timothywaynecook
> Skype ID == timothy.cook
> *You may get my Public GPG key from  popular keyservers or   *
> *from this link http://timothywayne.cook.googlepages.com/home*

Timur Friedman

Mar 15, 2009, 10:05:20 PM3/15/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Hello Hieu,

OneLab is not affiliated with One Laptop Per Child. You must be
referring to Jameson Quinn's post.

Best regards,

Timur

Marcus D. Hanwell

Mar 16, 2009, 12:00:43 AM3/16/09
2009/3/15 David Anderson <da...@natulte.net>:

> On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Tim Cook <timothyw...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2009-03-15 at 16:28 -0600, Jameson Quinn wrote:
>>
>>> ** Honestly, I hope that students would consider getting involved in a
>>> project that interests them even if it isn't accepted; after all, as a
>>> student you are hardly guaranteed acceptance either, and there are
>>> more important things than the money.
>>
>> The most important statement made on this list since I joined!
>
> While I agree with the general optimistic sentiment...
>
> Until a few months ago, I was a student, and have a different
> perspective to offer. Students are not all busy spending the cash from
> daddy's credit card. Some have very real financial limits that dictate
> what they can and cannot do with their time. In this context, the
> money associated with SoC becomes quite vital to get students involved
> in the Open Source world, something they might not be able to afford
> otherwise.
>
> I participated in SoC 2005 as a student. If I hadn't participated, I'd
> have been flipping burgers or manufacturing ball bearings for 8 hours
> a day, coming home way too tired to get involved seriously in
> anything. The two options were SoC or another job, not SoC or "yay
> I'll do open source anyway!".

I would like to second the sentiment. As a student I faced real
financial constraints and so could not afford to spend my summer
working on open source code. I participated as a student in 2007 and
could not have dedicated anywhere near the time I did without the
money.

I am eternally grateful to Google for making it possible. As a physics
student I always wanted to push my programming to the next level and
they gave me the chance to do it. I would have still done some work on
the project as I found the time.

I stuck around and continue to dedicate time to projects, attend
conferences and promote open source. I hope to pass some of this
passion on to others and think that the Google Summer of Code program
is very valuable.

I agree that there are more important things than money, but as a
student it can be a limiting factor. I want to see dedicated students
who are passionate, but also think it is important to recognize people
need to pay their rent ;-)

Not sure I have the time to participate this year but wish all
involved a great summer. Find something that inspires you, apply, make
the most of the summer and produce some awesome code!

Marcus

Nanadana

Mar 16, 2009, 1:15:41 AM3/16/09
to Google Summer of Code Discuss
Our organization, WSO2 hosts a set of SOA related projects including a
Web Services Application server, Enterprise Service Bus, Registry,
Mashup, Business Process server, Identity server and many other SOA
related projects. These projects done in Java, C, C++, PHP,
Javascript, etc. We have also applied for Summer of Code programme
this year. As Leslie said, selected organizations list is not
published yet, so there is no guarantee we will be accepted. But we
would like interested students to go through our project ideas list
and see whether those projects interests you. Whether or not we are
selected for Google Summer of Code program this year, we would like to
welcome new students who are interested in SOA related technologies to
join these projects as we like to see our community growing bigger
and more diverse.

Project Ideas List :
http://wso2.org/wiki/display/misc/gsoc_2009_ideas

Project List: