Question about the nexus RAM..

Ronen Z

Jun 21, 2010, 5:15:45 PM6/21/10
to Google Nexus One Owners
As said in the nexus one specifications it have built in 500Mb RAM/ROM
memory..
ok.. but when i installed some applications such as - Memory boost and
PhoneStats it shows:
Total Memory: 146Mb..
Free Memory: 60 (just an example)..

is it because that the OS takes all the rest of the Memory space, or
is it due to another reason?
everything else is great, i really love Nexus one.. i had the iPhone
and theres no comparison..
for me its 10 times better...

anyway id like to hear any answer on this subject..

thanks

Dennis Christilaw

Jun 21, 2010, 5:17:48 PM6/21/10
to google-nexu...@googlegroups.com
There are 2 separate memory spaces in the phone. Operating memory and storage memory. Those are separate. That's why it's nice that they are adding native apps2sd in Froyo so when you install apps, they can be put on the SD card.

~Dennis Christilaw

Ronen Z

Jun 21, 2010, 5:22:58 PM6/21/10
to Google Nexus One Owners
first of all thanks for the fast reply...
second of all,
let me see if i understand it currectly,
you say that my storage space (currently 16Gb) will be used as valid
memory in the next update?
if so thats amazing!!
but still why did they advertise 500Mb when there are actually 146Mb..
and one more thing..
do you know maybe when will the froyo update will be out?

anyway, thanks man!
> > google-nexus-one-...@googlegroups.com<google-nexus-one-owner s%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>
> > .

Dennis Christilaw

Jun 21, 2010, 6:00:26 PM6/21/10
to google-nexu...@googlegroups.com
What is HighMem?

HighMem gives you full access to the 512mb ram the phone has. Stock standard only gives the phone about 250mb or so. The more the phone has to use the faster

HighMem was a backport of the code in the 2.6.32 kernel that allowed the use of both EBI memory banks.

Starting with 2.6.32 this is a non issue as all memory can be properly addressed. Google has not released an "official" OTA using this, but Froyo does take advantage of this and allows for more memory to be available for applications to use, thus making your phones more stable and faster.

Storage memory is different. This is where applications are downloaded, installed and run from. With Froyo (Android 2.2) you will be able to install certain apps to your SD card so your phone does not fill up as fast. Now, the thing to keep in mind here is that your SD Card is slower than on-board RAM and not all apps should be put on the SD Card.

Reason is, the implementation in Froyo does not require you to partition your SD card like the App2SD for rooted phones. What happens is that when you mount your SD Card to a PC, your apps no longer have access to the SD Card, making them non-functional while you are mounted.

The partitioning method didn't have this problem since the only partition that was mounted was the FAT32 partition.

Hope this information helps. :)

~Dennis Christilaw

Ronen Z

Jun 21, 2010, 6:24:14 PM6/21/10
to Google Nexus One Owners
Thanks man, thats really great of you to explain it in such detail..
hope android 2.2 will get out soon..
anyway it still is better then the iPhone 3GS in my point of view...
> > s%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com <s%252Buns...@googlegroups.com>>

Dennis Christilaw

Jun 21, 2010, 6:26:00 PM6/21/10
to google-nexu...@googlegroups.com
We're all waiting for the official update, but what's been released so far is great stuff! :)

~Dennis Christilaw

Sean

Jun 21, 2010, 7:41:38 PM6/21/10
to google-nexu...@googlegroups.com