How to create a v3 Mini Map

chaya

Sep 30, 2009, 9:25:52 AM9/30/09
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
How do you create a the bottom right corner mini-map with the v3 API?
The v2 API references the GOverviewMapControl object, but I cannot get
this working with v3 API code.

Christoph Beckmann

Sep 30, 2009, 9:36:44 AM9/30/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com

pamela (Google Employee)

Sep 30, 2009, 4:36:07 PM9/30/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
To be clear, we don't offer an OverviewMapControl in the v3 API yet.
You could create your own by making two maps and binding their
pan/zoom events to eachother, however.

- pamela

Esa

Oct 3, 2009, 1:29:31 PM10/3/09
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
If I do remember right, Susannah presented code for a overview map in
this presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKdsra1O20Y

Altogether it is not wasting time to see the movie.

drc...@gmail.com

Nov 2, 2009, 8:55:13 AM11/2/09
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
The slides for this video are at http://dl.google.com/io/2009/pres/Th_1045_Maps_API_Mobile.pdf
with the relvant slide being slide 19. However, not all the code is
there. Does anyone know where one could get it, or where there's a
good working example out there? I can't seem to get the snippet of
code to work or find a working example. Thanks.

On Oct 3, 5:29 pm, Esa <esa.ilm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If I do remember right, Susannah presented code for aoverviewmap in

Esa

Nov 2, 2009, 5:58:38 PM11/2/09
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
It seems that the tricky lines were missing:) I tried appendChilding
the overview map DIV to main map DIV. I tried setting z-index but I
only saw a short flash of the overview map.

API script overwrites certain style settings of the map DIV to:

overflow: hidden;
background-color: rgb(229, 227, 223);
z-index: 0;

I don't get the idea of z-index overwriting. That can be solved by
setting the z-index of the overview map DIV to some positive number by
'idle' event.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/ojalesa/v3/overview_v3.htm

It is an interesting experiment to see the binding of two MVC objects.
It works both ways. You can drag either of the maps.