missing GCopyrightCollection in v3

pi5701

Apr 15, 2010, 1:32:34 AM4/15/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
allready filed a request here
http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=2100&q=apitype%3AJavascript3&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Introduced%20Fixed%20Summary%20Internal%20Stars

but no update so far, still tagged as 'needs more info'

old post here:
http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-js-api-v3/browse_thread/thread/b97e2ead49e5d146/5e852a140c9af2a3?lnk=gst&q=copyright+collection#5e852a140c9af2a3

imho its an important, missing feature of custom maptypes that doesnt
need much effort to be added

projects like open street map deserve it

Esa

Apr 15, 2010, 5:58:50 PM4/15/10

On Apr 15, 8:32 am, pi5701 <pistol...@chello.at> wrote:

> imho its an important, missing feature of custom maptypes that doesnt
> need much effort to be added

Agreed.

> projects like open street map deserve it

Open Streetmap is a simple special case because their copyright
doesn't change with location. They are using only the CC label outside
the map container on their own map.

Still I agree that a dynamic copyright system is a mandatory.

Ben Appleton

Apr 15, 2010, 7:26:04 PM4/15/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Why not just make a custom control to display your copyrights?

> --

Message has been deleted

pi5701

Apr 16, 2010, 1:31:14 AM4/16/10

On 16 Apr., 01:26, Ben Appleton <apple...@google.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 16, 2010 at 7:58 AM, Esa <esa.ilm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why not just make a custom control to display your copyrights?

See this page by esa: http://koti.mbnet.fi/ojalesa/v3/osmtest.htm
It loads with custom (OSM) mapType and nocopyrightinformation is
displayed. Switch to roadmap and Googlecopyrightinformation is
shown. Switch back to OSM and Googlecopyrightinformation is still
there.

imho -> bug

pi5701

Apr 16, 2010, 4:28:42 AM4/16/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3

Ben Appleton

Apr 16, 2010, 4:53:05 AM4/16/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com

I agree that's a bug.  Once we fix that bug, why not display copyrights in a custom control?

On 16 Apr 2010 18:28, "pi5701" <pist...@chello.at> wrote:

bugreport here:
http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=2311

Esa

Apr 16, 2010, 4:53:45 AM4/16/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Starred

Dave

Apr 19, 2010, 2:11:36 PM4/19/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I think the question being asked is: if the code is already in the API
to display copyright info for the built-in layers (map/satellite), why
not make that available for custom map types?

Custom overlay or just a positioned/styled div works for me. Link that
to maptypeid_changed to hide/display appropriately. And one could even
listen to zoom and move events to change the notice if they needed.
Flexibility without extra API overhead.

Dave

On Apr 16, 1:53 am, Ben Appleton <apple...@google.com> wrote:
> I agree that's a bug.  Once we fix that bug, why not display copyrights in a
> custom control?

Ben Appleton

Apr 19, 2010, 5:55:27 PM4/19/10
On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 4:11 AM, Dave <dualr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I think the question being asked is: if the code is already in the API
to display copyright info for the built-in layers (map/satellite), why
not make that available for custom map types?

Because that code is quite different, fetching copyrights from Google on pan/zoom.  Custom map types often only need a static copyright, or a copyright that is displayed when the view intersects a bounding box of interest.  Even if a custom map type needs dynamic copyrights (fetched from a server on pan/zoom) we can't help with the fetching.  What we can do is provide a way to display copyrights - we call that a custom control.

Custom overlay or just a positioned/styled div works for me. Link that
to maptypeid_changed to hide/display appropriately. And one could even
listen to zoom and move events to change the notice if they needed.
Flexibility without extra API overhead.

You have all of the above: custom overlays, positioned/styled divs (custom controls), ability to listen to maptypeid_changed / zoom / move.  What I don't understand is, what more do you want from the API here?

Dave

On Apr 16, 1:53 am, Ben Appleton <apple...@google.com> wrote:
> I agree that's a bug.  Once we fix that bug, why not display copyrights in a
> custom control?
>
> On 16 Apr 2010 18:28, "pi5701" <pistol...@chello.at> wrote:
>
> bugreport here:http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=2311

pi5701

Apr 29, 2010, 2:07:11 AM4/29/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
made a new bug report since old one hasnt been added to v3 library and
therefore not easy to find on the first run:
star this one please:

http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=2326&can=5&q=apitype%3AJavascript3&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Introduced%20Fixed%20Summary%20Internal%20Stars

btw no problem to show copyright of custom maps in a custom control
after this bug is fixed :>