09/11/2009: New Release

Dann (Google Employee)

Sep 11, 2009, 5:22:16 PM9/11/09
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Hey developers!

We've recently just pushed out a new version of the API. See the list
of changes below:
http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/wiki/JavascriptMapsAPIv3Changelog

Changed issues:
* Issue 1659 : Incorrect latLng reported in click & dblclick events
after panning, Firefox 3.5
* Issue 1621 : getting wrong location after click on map in ie8 with
dooctype
* Issue 1642 : InfoWindow overflow:auto
* Issue 1531 : height of infoWindow grows with each open

Other noticeable changes:
* Syntax modified for get/set methods and event names as specified
below. Old syntax remains supported to stay backwards compatible. For
example:
o set_funBoat() => setFunBoat()
o get_funBoat() => getFunBoat()
o funBoat_changed => funboat_changed
* Added new method "onAdd" to the OverlayView interface, which gets
called when panes and projection are first initialized. This addresses
Issue 1377.
* OverlayView interface's "remove" method has been renamed to
"onRemove". Old name remains supported to stay backwards compatible.

Please test and provide feedback.

Thanks!

Dann

Björn Brala

Sep 12, 2009, 5:41:20 AM9/12/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
I'm wondering, why the backwards compatibility, shouldn't consistency be more important? Compatibilitiy adds to size, maintenance... I wonder why. :)

2009/9/11 Dann (Google Employee) <d...@google.com>

--
Bjorn Brala
----------------

Barry Hunter

Sep 12, 2009, 11:25:25 AM9/12/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
At least for a while the compatibility needs to be maintained.

v3, doesn't have a 'version' parameter so cant fix your app to a
certain version.

So if they just unilaturatlly applied the change it would break
thousands of apps in a heartbeat. I understand many people are already
using v3 in "production"

2009/9/12 Björn Brala <bbr...@gmail.com>:
--
Barry

- www.nearby.org.uk - www.geograph.org.uk -

tim

Sep 14, 2009, 11:27:02 AM9/14/09
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
this would be a nice approach...

I am seeing the v3 api produce errors this morning.. only to start
working again a few minutes later. If goog is pushing new versions
out, how about letting us lock in one that seems stable for us? I
know, it's free. And I want a 'real' app to rely on free code. Am I
thinking clearly?

On Sep 12, 10:25 am, Barry Hunter <barrybhun...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> At least for a while the compatibility needs to be maintained.
>
> v3, doesn't have a 'version' parameter so cant fix your app to a
> certain version.
>
> So if they just unilaturatlly applied the change it would break
> thousands of apps in a heartbeat. I understand many people are already
> using v3 in "production"
>
> 2009/9/12 Björn Brala <bbr...@gmail.com>:
>

> > I'm wondering, why the backwards compatibility, shouldn't consistency be
> > more important? Compatibilitiy adds to size, maintenance... I wonder why. :)
>
> > 2009/9/11 Dann (Google Employee) <d...@google.com>
>
> >> Hey developers!
>
> >> We've recently just pushed out a new version of the API.  See the list
> >> of changes below:
>
> >>http://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/wiki/JavascriptMapsAPIv3Cha...
> >www.GeoStart.nl/english/- Google maps - Swis Webdesign
> >www.twitter.com/bbrala
>
> --
> Barry
>
> -www.nearby.org.uk-www.geograph.org.uk-

pamela (Google Employee)

Sep 16, 2009, 5:31:44 AM9/16/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim-

Yes, we will introduce versioning into the v3 API at some point.
As for those errors you saw, I believe they were related to
localization and old files in the cache, and you should no longer be
seeing them.

- pamela
Message has been deleted

pamela (Google Employee)

Sep 20, 2009, 2:59:58 AM9/20/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi pistol-

We may decide to take that approach for some of the current features
that are in v2, but there will probably always be some parts that
cannot be open-sourced, for contractual reasons (e.g. we must make
sure that the correct attribution is displayed for our base map
types), and it will still take us some amount of time to open-source
bits of code. There are some developers here that are creating
open-source versions of v2 features on their own, as well, so keep an
eye out for those.

Thanks!

- pamela

On Sat, Sep 19, 2009 at 7:19 PM, pi5701 <pist...@chello.at> wrote:

> just some thought that came into my mind these days:
>
> why dont you just outsource parts of the current map.js and let people
> host the bits they need on their own server?
> so everyone is able to decide on his own setting glayers, custom
> maptypes, streetview aso on his map?
>
> What i got so far is that the only reason for v3 is make googlecode
> shorter to run on cellphones, am i right?
> Browsed a lot of googlemap applications whilst building my own map -
> every feature you implented in v2 is used all over the net.
> So why do we have to file a request for any feature that got added in
> v2 the last years for v3?
>
> excuse me if thats a silly question, but im just master in copy/
> paste/ transform javascripts not programming on my own.
> Nevertheless i've put together some nice map the last year with all
> the features v2 offers which my team uses every day at work - missing
> some current features just cause googlemap should run smooth on
> cellphones would be a step back imho.
> Never experienced any unexceptable slowdown or unavailability the
> times we used your great application and bandwidth/ internetspeed
> grows year by year.
> Make a slim cellphone version and let developers take a rest and not
> force them changing code every couple of weeks (imho).
>
> my map:
> http://www.mario-baldauf.org/tlmf/verortung.html
>
> what i got so far with v3 (didnt notice much speed improvement so
> far):
> http://www.mario-baldauf.org/tlmf/API_v3/index.html
>
> -pistol

bratliff

Sep 20, 2009, 8:55:53 AM9/20/09
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
On Sep 20, 6:59 am, "pamela (Google Employee)" <pamela...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi pistol-
>
> We may decide to take that approach for some of the current features
> that are in v2, but there will probably always be some parts that
> cannot be open-sourced, for contractual reasons (e.g. we must make
> sure that the correct attribution is displayed for our base map
> types), and it will still take us some amount of time to open-source
> bits of code. There are some developers here that are creating
> open-source versions of v2 features on their own, as well, so keep an
> eye out for those.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - pamela

PLEASE open source your mouse support. I would like to be able to add
"mousemove", "mouseover", "mouseout" event listeners to the map canvas
without breaking existing event listeners. I would also like to fix
an annoying "click" bug introduced in v2.122 to accommodate
idiosyncrasies of the iPhone. If I am using a normal browser, I ought
to have normal "click" behavior. "dblclick" is not broken, just
"click".