thousands of markers

Adam

Apr 3, 2010, 3:40:59 PM4/3/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
There is some way to don't have problem with thousands of markers? For
example on openstreetmap.org (openlayers.org) I can 3000 markers
without problems, and fast zoom in/out, when I try load 3000 markers
on google map it is very, very slow, and when I wanna do something,
click or zoom in/out it always end with crash of firefox...

Please help, because I really wanna use google maps, no
openlayers.org :(

bratliff

Apr 4, 2010, 8:44:32 AM4/4/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3

For several hundred markers, you can use small custom icons without
shadows. You will still have to have individual "click" event
listeners for every marker.

For several thousand markers, you can use CANVAS or SVG for standards
compliant browsers or VML for Internet Explorer. You will be able to
combine your separate "click" event listeners into a single "click"
event listener to service multiple markers.

Clustering of markers is another option. It is described in recent
posts by Luke (Google).

bratliff

Apr 5, 2010, 8:40:36 AM4/5/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
On Apr 3, 7:40 pm, Adam <azi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Because openlayers is open source, you may be able to adapt it to
google maps. The projections are similar. The Google TOS prevents
you from displaying Google tiles directly. Whatever you display over
Google tiles is OK if the trademark information remains visible.

Tyler Lane

Apr 6, 2010, 11:49:05 AM4/6/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I know there is an example on the openlayers site showing using open
layers with all of the major mapping engines ( google,yahoo,live ) as
backdrops of it. Might be worth checking.

William

Apr 11, 2010, 3:39:01 PM4/11/10
On Apr 4, 5:40 am, Adam <azi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> on openstreetmap.org (openlayers.org) I can 3000 markers
> without problems, and fast zoom in/out

can you post a link to an openlayers map with thousands of markers?
It would be interesting to compare it with a google map. What kind of
map server (or data source) was used with the 3000 markers openlayers
map?

Daniel Lee

Apr 15, 2010, 2:58:15 PM4/15/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
I can't seem to ever justify displaying 3K markers on a map, in regards to both application performance and user experience.

Both MarkerManager and MarkerClusterer were ported over to the V3 utility library, which would be a great solution to this:
http://code.google.com/p/google-maps-utility-library-v3/wiki/Libraries

Have you considered using them?

Thanks,

Dann

Daniel Lee
Developer Programs Engineer
Google, Inc.
345 Spear Street
San Francisco, CA 94105
650 253 0967

William

Apr 15, 2010, 7:55:22 PM4/15/10
On Apr 16, 4:58 am, Daniel Lee <daniel...@google.com> wrote:
> I can't seem to ever justify displaying 3K markers on a map
maps.google.com has good justification for this: http://tinyurl.com/y46n8qb

Ben Appleton

Apr 15, 2010, 7:59:40 PM4/15/10
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Those little markers are actually a custom MapType. The browser does
not load every little marker beforehand; it loads them in tiles from
the server as they pan into view.

William

Apr 18, 2010, 7:44:39 PM4/18/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
yes it's a perfect implementation by Google Maps, and I'll look at
creating an application with Google AppEngine to do the same thing. I
doubt this feature will be part of the Maps API because of the cost of
server resources, just like we see with server-side KML rendering
where the limit is 1000 points.