geocode over_query_limit

Scott

Mar 29, 2010, 12:48:04 PM3/29/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I am trying to put together a site that will use the v3 api. Most of
my requests will be through javascript and cached on the server, but
right now I need to seed the existing addresses in my database with
coordinates. I have a ruby script that works great for a while, but
eventually gets the over_query_limit error.

url = "http://maps.google.com/maps/api/geocode/xml?
address=#{CGI::escape(address)}&sensor=false"

I do one request to the above url per address, then store the results
in my database. The API states a limit of 15,000 requests per day, so
I set a sleep of 5.8 seconds between requests (14900/day). The script
runs for maybe two thousand requests then it starts receiving the
over_query_limit error for all the remaining requests. I even waited a
couple days before I ran this script again to make sure there were no
other requests from this IP address to the api in the past 24 hours.

How accurate is the 15000 limit? Do I need to sleep more than 5.8
seconds between requests? Is there a more reliable way to do this?

thanks,
scott

Thor (Google Employee)

Mar 30, 2010, 12:22:29 AM3/30/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
The daily limit on the Geocoder Web Service that you are using is
2,500 per day, as stated in the launch blog post:

http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/03/introducing-new-google-geocoding-web.html

It looks like this is not in the docs though so I will get it added.

Many thanks,

Thor.

Scott

Mar 30, 2010, 10:41:06 AM3/30/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
Is there a way to geocode multiple addresses per request, by passing
in an array or something? If not, then it is impossible to reach the
15000 limit, so you might want to remove the 15000 limit from the docs
because it will just confuse people.
Thanks,
Scott

On Mar 30, 12:22 am, "Thor (Google Employee)"

<thor.mitch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The daily limit on the Geocoder Web Service that you are using is
> 2,500 per day, as stated in the launch blog post:
>

> http://googlegeodevelopers.blogspot.com/2010/03/introducing-new-googl...

Thor (Google Employee)

Mar 30, 2010, 12:14:16 PM3/30/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
The 15,000 limit applies to the geocoder used by the v2 API. I see
that the FAQ needs updating and will get that addressed. Is the 15,000
specified in any other location in the docs?

Scott

Mar 30, 2010, 1:25:09 PM3/30/10
to Google Maps JavaScript API v3
I remember seeing it in the FAQ, I don't know if it was anywhere else.

I finished seeding my database so this is no longer a current issue
for me, but I was wondering:

Do you know if there are plans to increase the 2500 limit after v3
becomes more mature?
Do requests that return over_query_limit count to the 2500 quota?
Is there any way to see how much of our quota is used up at a given
time?

On Mar 30, 12:14 pm, "Thor (Google Employee)"