Israel's content of Google Maps API

wwwera

Aug 15, 2009, 6:22:56 AM8/15/09
to Google Maps Data API
Hi, all!

I am not a developer but I am a user of one site that uses Google Maps
API. And I have a problem: the Google Maps API does not show the map
of Israel.

Problem description

Every account of the site http://www.postcrossing.com/ has a small map
of the user's location. For example, this Japanese user
http://www.postcrossing.com/user/daiichi has a map with English and
Japanese geographical denominations. But all users from Israel have an
empty map. The example is my account http://www.postcrossing.com/user/wwwera.

I addressed to the owner and developer of this site and received the
following answer:

"
Currently Postcrossing uses version 2.95 of the Google Maps API.
However, I tried 2.164 (current), 2.171 (Latest), 2.140 (Stable) and
even 2.x. None have shown an increase of details in the map of Israel.
"

So I see that the problem is not the site code and not the Hebrew
specifics as rtl language (because for the Arabic language it is
resolved well) but the absence of Israel's content. It is the more
strange because if we type 'Israel' in the search line of http://maps.google.com/,
we will see full map content of this country.

Please help to resolve this problem or at least explain me what is the
cause of this phenomena.
Thank you,
Vera.

pamela (Google Employee)

Aug 15, 2009, 7:47:07 PM8/15/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vera-

This is a Maps API issue, and as such, is answered in various threads in the Maps API forum. We are not contractually allowed to expose the high quality Israel data in the API at this time.

- pamela

WildernessCat

Aug 16, 2009, 3:51:57 AM8/16/09
to Google Maps Data API
Hello Pamela,

Can you please explain the difference between the interactive Google
Map, and the Google Map API, in the context of the Israeli data
limitations?
The interactive Google Map shows every little detail of Israel,
complete with street names, building names and whatnot. Aerial photos
of sensitive military and civilian locations are also available.

Regards,
Danny

On Aug 16, 2:47 am, "pamela (Google Employee)" <pamela...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Hi Vera-
> This is a Maps API issue, and as such, is answered in various threads in the
> Maps API forum. We are not contractually allowed to expose the high quality
> Israel data in the API at this time.
>
> - pamela
>
> On Sat, Aug 15, 2009 at 8:22 PM, wwwera <www...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi, all!
>
> > I am not a developer but I am a user of one site that uses Google Maps
> > API. And I have a problem: the Google Maps API does not show the map
> > of Israel.
>
> > Problem description
>
> > Every account of the sitehttp://www.postcrossing.com/has a small map
> > of the user's location. For example, this Japanese user
> >http://www.postcrossing.com/user/daiichihas a map with English and

pamela (Google Employee)

Aug 16, 2009, 5:34:41 AM8/16/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
I assume you mean the map that you get when you click "Link/Embed" in Google Maps? That doesn't use the API, it is just an embedded version of Google Maps - so it is allowed to use the high resolution Israel data.

- pamela

wwwera

Aug 16, 2009, 8:36:14 AM8/16/09
to Google Maps Data API
So Pamela,

Did I understand this right: Google Maps and API (that is application
programming interface) have somehow contract which restricts to show
Israel data using API? Can you please clarify about parties of the
contract? I would like to address my request to the other party.

Thank you in advance,
Vera

On Aug 16, 12:34 pm, "pamela (Google Employee)" <pamela...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I assume you mean the map that you get when you click "Link/Embed" in Google
> Maps? That doesn't use the API, it is just an embedded version of Google
> Maps - so it is allowed to use the high resolution Israel data.
> - pamela

pamela (Google Employee)

Aug 16, 2009, 8:43:56 AM8/16/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vera -

The contract is between Google and the providers of the data. We will continue trying to negotiate for a more permissive contract on behalf of developers.

- pamela

wwwera

Aug 16, 2009, 8:54:22 AM8/16/09
to Google Maps Data API
Hi,

Does it mean that these providers allow to use their data for Embed
Technologies and do not allow for API Technology? It seems at least
strange :) Can you please discover me the name of data providing
organization(s), I want to address them?

With best wishes,
Vera

On Aug 16, 3:43 pm, "pamela (Google Employee)" <pamela...@gmail.com>

pamela (Google Employee)

Aug 16, 2009, 8:58:18 AM8/16/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Legal matters are strange things. :) You can see the data provider for any location by going to Google Maps, looking at the desired location, and reading the copyright information in the lower right hand corner of the map.

- pamela
Message has been deleted

wwwera

Aug 16, 2009, 9:12:27 AM8/16/09
to Google Maps Data API
Oh, thank you so much! Now I know who is "guilty" - it is our famous
Israeli company :))

(a) Based on mapping data from Mapa - Mapping and Publishing
Ltd ("Mapa"). © Mapa - Mapping and Publishing. The mapping data is
protected by international copyright laws and international copyright
conventions.

So I will address them, thank for your help, I really appreciated your
participation :)

Have a good day :))
Vera

On Aug 16, 3:58 pm, "pamela (Google Employee)" <pamela...@gmail.com>

iis

Aug 18, 2009, 5:46:59 AM8/18/09
to Google Maps Data API
hi,
can i show the map by given coordinates?
if yes can i get them automatic?
by using something like "http://maps.google.com/maps/geo?
output=xml&key=<your_google_api_key>&q=<city_state>"

10x
iis

Roman N

Aug 18, 2009, 1:11:06 PM8/18/09
to google-map...@googlegroups.com
Hi iis,

If you're looking for how to show an address on a map, see this sample:

    http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/examples/geocoding-simple.html

Also, this is the discussion forum for the Google Maps Data API, not the JavaScript Maps API, nor for the HTTP geocoding service.

That group is here:

    http://groups.google.com/group/google-maps-api

Thanks,
Roman