To all who map Vietnam

Bert

Jul 19, 2008, 5:28:07 AM7/19/08
to Google Map Maker
When a lot of people work on the same project, it is good to have
common definitions and approach.
In Google MapMaker Help (http://www.google.com/mapmaker/mapfiles/s/
support.html) for many objects and attributes it is described how to
use them, more help in User Generated Help (http://sites.google.com/
site/mapmakeruserhelp/)
But all is in general terms, Google does not know the specific
situation in a specific country or town.
Another Mapper of Ho Chi Minh City and I try to define some standards
for our town.
We want to suggest here some definitions and standards that we would
like every Mapper to apply to Ho Chi Minh City, and we think they can
be applied in other cities in Vietnam too.
Our first step is this post and we hope to get corrections and
additions from you.
The next step will be documenting these Vietnam-specific definitions
and standards as guidelines in the User Generated Help (here
https://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/collaboration/vietnam)

Let’s give it a start!

Names.
When naming (a road or school e.g.) you cannot immediately see what
language Google Mapmaker assumes it is, usually we give a Vietnamese
name but it is stored as ‘English’.
We suggest naming at least Vietnamese, preferably also in English,
both names ‘Preferred’.
So it can be 'Street No 5' as well as ' Đường Số 5' (Google likes
every word starting uppercase I think).
If not necessary don't use Street or Đường or Road or...
English names only standard Abc, so it is Kha Van Can in English and
Kha Vạn Cân in Vietnamese.

Road Priority
(Non Traffic / Terminal / Local / Minor Arterial / Major Arterial /
Secondary Road / Primary Highway / Limited Access / Controlled Access)
Google definitions can be found here:
http://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/help/making-maps/transportation#TOC-Choosing-Road-Type-Priority
We suggest that the default will be local road, while the lanes,
smaller roads (e.g. Hẻm in VNese) will be 'Terminal'. We can also use
‘Terminal’ for internal roads inside residential areas where in fact
is very limited traffic.
Major arterial are roads that are always heavy with traffic,
especially in the inner districts.
As a rule of thumb for me it is at least Minor Arterial when there's a
bus line, but that is not much of a definition :)
Secondary Road and Primary Highway to be decided.
Beware that Limited Access and Controlled Access are ‘Superhighways’
that we don’t have in Vietnam (yet)!

Country, State, County/District, City/Town/Village, Locality and Sub-
Locality

Country is VN, State is Ho Chi Minh, County is not used, City has many
(more or less Obscure) names (Tp Ho Chi Minh, Saigon, …), locality is
District(Quận), that is how the first Mappers set up our town. So sub-
locality must be Ward(Phường), but since Sub Locality is the lowest
level in MapMaker there is no way to put a further subdivision on the
map (e.g. Khu Phố). Since it is difficult enough to find out where the
exact boundaries of the wards are, we suggest forgetting about KP or
maybe add the KP in the address text- field? Better ideas?
A definition like this is applicable for the 5 big cities
(municipalities) in VN, but not applicable for the provinces. I
noticed Ho Chi Minh city looks quite ok, but Hanoi is not set up well
yet: e.g. sometimes we see Ha Tay or Hung Yen as State, Hung Yen as
county as well. To be decided and corrected.
In the Provinces State will be our Province (Tinh), we suggest County
is unused, City/Town Village to be used. This way it is in most
provinces now. We have to work out if and how we will use Locality and
Sub Locality there.

Roundabouts

It looks like Google Mappers were lazy to create roundabouts and we
(in HCM) have many, so it’s up to us to change many intersections to
roundabouts. How to do is explained here:
http://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/help/making-maps/transportation#TOC-Adding-a-round-about
Start with deleting the sections of the roads that meet at the
roundabout. They have to be connected again later.
If there is no physical divider (example the central circle of Nga Tu
Hang Xanh), we can use the circle and the road will be drawn
perpendicularly to the circle, such as in the below
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=26&ll=10.782616,106.695786&spn=0.005091,0.007231&z=17
If there are physical dividers, we will split them into two one-way
road like this
http://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=26&ll=10.723631,106.6012&spn=0.005092,0.007231&z=17

Above are examples of how we can setup guidelines for Vietnam.
These are our first ideas; please help us to build a nice set of
definitions that we can store under Collaboration/Vietnam in MapMaker
Userhelp.
All response is welcome!

Khanh Le

Sep 3, 2008, 3:28:59 AM9/3/08
to Google Map Maker
Hi Bert,

I have translated this post into Vietnamese at
http://blog.khanhlnq.com/2008/08/gi-nhng-ai-ang-v-bn-vit-nam-trn-google.html

Regards,

On Jul 19, 4:28 pm, Bert <Bert.Hov...@gmail.com> wrote:
> When a lot of people work on the same project, it is good to have
> common definitions and approach.
> In Google MapMaker Help (http://www.google.com/mapmaker/mapfiles/s/
> support.html) for many objects and attributes it is described how to
> use them, more help in User Generated Help (http://sites.google.com/
> site/mapmakeruserhelp/)
> But all is in general terms, Google does not know the specific
> situation in a specific country or town.
> Another Mapper of Ho Chi Minh City and I try to define some standards
> for our town.
> We want to suggest here some definitions and standards that we would
> like every Mapper to apply to Ho Chi Minh City, and we think they can
> be applied in other cities inVietnamtoo.
> Our first step is this post and we hope to get corrections and
> additions from you.
> The next step will be documenting theseVietnam-specific definitions
> and standards as guidelines in the User Generated Help (herehttps://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/collaboration/vietnam)
>
> Let’s give it a start!
>
> Names.
> When naming (a road or school e.g.) you cannot immediately see what
> language Google Mapmaker assumes it is, usually we give a Vietnamese
> name but it is stored as ‘English’.
> We suggest naming at least Vietnamese, preferably also in English,
> both names ‘Preferred’.
> So it can be 'Street No 5' as well as ' Đường Số 5' (Google likes
> every word starting uppercase I think).
> If not necessary don't use Street or Đường or Road or...
> English names only standard Abc, so it is Kha Van Can in English and
> Kha Vạn Cân in Vietnamese.
>
> Road Priority
> (Non Traffic / Terminal / Local /  Minor Arterial / Major Arterial /
> Secondary Road / Primary Highway / Limited Access / Controlled Access)
> Google definitions can be found here:http://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/help/making-maps/transp...
> roundabouts. How to do is explained here:http://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/help/making-maps/transp...
> Start with deleting the sections of the roads that meet at the
> roundabout. They have to be connected again later.
> If there is no physical divider (example the central circle of Nga Tu
> Hang Xanh), we can use the circle and the road will be drawn
> perpendicularly to the circle, such as in the belowhttp://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=26&ll=10.782616,106.695786&spn=0.00...
> If there are physical dividers, we will split them into two one-way
> road like thishttp://www.google.com/mapmaker?gw=26&ll=10.723631,106.6012&spn=0.0050...
>
> Above are examples of how we can setup guidelines forVietnam.
> These are our first ideas; please help us to build a nice set of
> definitions that we can store under Collaboration/Vietnamin MapMaker
Message has been deleted

be...@berth.nl

Sep 4, 2008, 10:30:11 AM9/4/08
to Google Map Maker
Thanks!
As you understood I don't speak much Vietnamese. Hope this way we get
some more feedback.
There's a number of serious mappers around Vietnam now.
What I notice when mapping and moderating is that we all run into the
same problems sooner or later.
Like what to use for Country, State, County/District, City/Town/
Village, Locality and Sub-Locality pops up again and again.
And also almost all new mappers don't realize they add a name in
English, while they type a Vietnamese name. 'Primary language in which
data is entered' is well hidden under Settings.
Hope your work helps other VN mappers.
Keep in touch.

On Sep 3, 2:28 pm, Khanh Le <khanh....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Bert,
>
> I have translated this post into Vietnamese athttp://blog.khanhlnq.com/2008/08/gi-nhng-ai-ang-v-bn-vit-nam-trn-goog...

Khanh Le

Sep 7, 2008, 7:24:01 AM9/7/08
to Google Map Maker
Hi Bert,

I will highlight language setting in my post.

Regards,

Bội

Dec 28, 2008, 11:26:41 PM12/28/08
to Bert, google-...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 19, 4:28 pm, Bert <Bert.Hov...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Country, State, County/District, City/Town/Village, Locality and Sub-
> Locality
>
> Country is VN, State is Ho Chi Minh, County is not used, City has many
> (more or less Obscure) names (Tp Ho Chi Minh, Saigon, …), locality is
> District(Quận), that is how the first Mappers set up our town. So sub-
> locality must be Ward(Phường), but since Sub Locality is the lowest
> level in MapMaker there is no way to put a further subdivision on the
> map (e.g. Khu Phố). Since it is difficult enough to find out where the
> exact boundaries of the wards are, we suggest forgetting about KP or
> maybe add the KP in the address text- field? Better ideas?
> A definition like this is applicable for the 5 big cities
> (municipalities) in VN, but not applicable for the provinces. I
> noticed Ho Chi Minh city looks quite ok, but Hanoi is not set up well
> yet: e.g. sometimes we see Ha Tay or Hung Yen as State, Hung Yen as
> county as well. To be decided and corrected.
> In the Provinces State will be our Province (Tinh), we suggest County
> is unused, City/Town Village to be used. This way it is in most
> provinces now. We have to work out if and how we will use Locality and
> Sub Locality there.

Hi all,
I suggest to use Province/State for Vietnam province (tỉnh) and big
cities (Hà Nội, Hồ Chí Minh, Hải Phòng, Đà Nẵng, Cần Thơ), Town/City
for quận/huyện/thị xã, Locality for phường/xã/thị trấn, Sub-Locality
for khu phố/thôn/ấp.
Regards,
Boi