I can use Potlatch?

fakes...@hotmail.com

May 11, 2009, 6:37:56 PM5/11/09
to Google Map Maker
O haiz Google!

I have tried editing in my city but I don't think my results are very
good. I try to add a large feature but GMm says "length exceeds
limit". Well, it's not the first time someone has told me that.

But I have been told I can get better results if I use software called
Potlatch. How can I download this software for use with Google Map
Maker plz?

FSC xx

Keshav

May 11, 2009, 11:27:52 PM5/11/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
I assume you were trying to draw a road longer than 5 km at a time.  What you can do is draw the road in <5km sections and extending roads after each section.  Please read  http://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/making-maps/transportation for more info.

Potlach is not a downloadable software, its a web based software similar to Google Map Maker and they are not compatible with each other.  You can find Google Map maker at  http://www.google.com/mapmaker/ .

Keshav

fakes...@hotmail.com

May 12, 2009, 4:44:25 PM5/12/09
to Google Map Maker
> Potlach is not a downloadable software, its a web based software similar to
> Google Map Maker and they are not compatible with each other.  You can find
> Google Map maker at  http://www.google.com/mapmaker/.

thx for your answer!

Why can I not use Potlatch with GMM then - whwat is the point of it? I
was told it would let me draw maps quickly.

FSC xx

Prateek

May 13, 2009, 1:57:47 AM5/13/09
to Google Map Maker
Just because Google does not work with something that doesn't mean
it's useless, you know. OpenStreetMap uses Potlach.

AM909

May 13, 2009, 2:59:59 AM5/13/09
to Google Map Maker
There are other user-contributed-map sites out there. I choose to
contribute to Google MapMaker because it seems to have the largest
potential for user contribution, as well as publishing those
contributions to other Google products that I (and a larger number of
other people) use: Earth, Maps, and Mobile Maps.

People from OSM and elsewhere have been trolling, emailing people that
contribute here in an attempt to get them to contribute to their site.

Firefishy

May 13, 2009, 6:50:48 AM5/13/09
to Google Map Maker

On May 13, 7:59 am, AM909 <alan.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> There are other user-contributed-map sites out there. I choose to
> contribute to Google MapMaker because it seems to have the largest
> potential for user contribution, as well as publishing those
> contributions to other Google products that I (and a larger number of
> other people) use: Earth, Maps, and Mobile Maps.

I would argue that OpenStreetMap is larger than Google MapMaker. See
OpenStreetMap 2008 : A year of edits : http://vimeo.com/2598878

OpenStreetMap tiles can easily be used in Google Maps API and
elsewhere. Google MapMaker cannot be used outside of Google. Google
Satnav? Unlikely. OpenStreetMap Satnav? Yes many apps exist already.

Adding stuff to OpenStreetMap benefits all due to the underlying data
being available to all, commercial or non-commercial.

> People from OSM and elsewhere have been trolling, emailing people that
> contribute here in an attempt to get them to contribute to their site.

Disclosure: I am an OpenStreetMap contributor. Trolling no, but
expressing the virtues of OpenStreetMap rationally yes.

ken....@gmail.com

May 13, 2009, 9:43:06 AM5/13/09
to Google Map Maker
Can I use map maker to add data for the maps I use on my tangogps
client?

otherwise I just don't see the point.

Paul Johnson

May 13, 2009, 4:55:20 PM5/13/09
to Google Map Maker
On May 11, 8:27 pm, Keshav <krm...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I assume you were trying to draw a road longer than 5 km at a time.  What
> you can do is draw the road in <5km sections and extending roads after each
> section.  Please readhttp://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/making-maps/transportationfor
> more info.
> Potlach is not a downloadable software, its a web based software similar to
> Google Map Maker and they are not compatible with each other.  You can find
> Google Map maker at  http://www.google.com/mapmaker/.

Yeah, but what if you prefer not to work for someone else's profit for
free? Google doesn't give you rights to the very map you helped
create. It's like those stupid TomTom units and their "let me work
for TeleAtlas for free by updating their map which they'll in turn
sell back to me next year" feature.

N4D33M

May 15, 2009, 1:29:21 AM5/15/09
to Google Map Maker
Hi,
Google does in fact give its users various options to use the maps
they create. To list out a few :
- You can integrate Google Maps on your website for free :
http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/staticmaps/
- You can use for other non-profit/personal uses provided you follow
the guidelines here : http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html
- You can Print the Map of the area of your interest using the "Print"
option on the top right corner of both Google Maps and Google
Mapmaker.

Thanks,
N4D33M.

On May 14, 1:55 am, Paul Johnson <ba...@ursamundi.org> wrote:
> On May 11, 8:27 pm, Keshav <krm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I assume you were trying to draw a road longer than 5 km at a time.  What
> > you can do is draw the road in <5km sections and extending roads after each
> > section.  Please readhttp://sites.google.com/site/mapmakeruserhelp/making-maps/transportat...

smsm1

May 15, 2009, 6:45:39 PM5/15/09
to Google Map Maker

On May 15, 6:29 am, N4D33M <fareedahmed....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>  Google does in fact give its users various options to use the maps
> they create. To list out a few :
> - You can integrate Google Maps on your website for free :http://code.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/staticmaps/
> - You can use for other non-profit/personal uses provided you follow
> the guidelines here :http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html
> - You can Print the Map of the area of your interest using the "Print"
> option on the top right corner of both Google Maps and Google
> Mapmaker.

Yeah but you can't:
* Make a routing engine for cyclists
* Create your own custom styles
* Have vector based maps on your phone
* Take the data into a flight simulator
* Live turn by turn routing
* Interesting visualisations
* Have a great community that go out and do mapping parties

OK Google might have stolen the last one, but the rest are things that
you can do with OpenStreetMap that you cannot do with Google's data.

Shaun
OpenStreetMapper

SteveC

May 15, 2009, 9:40:35 PM5/15/09
to google-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nadeem

You're correct that under limited terms for some use cases you can
'use' the map data you have given to Google. However, it turns out
there is about 30 years of debate on this topic of licensing and what
is better, stretching back to Richard Stallman. It turns out that you
get much more rights and access (as does everyone else) if you join a
true open project like OpenStreetMap than Google Maps.

What I'm curious about is the motivation for people to remain here and
help Google meet their Q2 revenue forecasts, rather than to join truly
reciprocal projects. Is it simply a matter of better user experience
and access to aerial imagery with Google Map Maker, or is there a
deeper warm feeling or other motivation? I would probably add my
street in to Map Maker if John Hanke gave me a biscuit too, and there
is a clear commercial motivation behind many people in OpenStreetMap.
The difference of course is that there is an ecosystem and a level
playing field in OSM that is lacking within Map Maker.

Best

Steve

Esben Damgaard

May 16, 2009, 7:39:30 AM5/16/09
to Google Map Maker
Okay, then answer me this:
Does it give you the rights to distribute it to other people?
Can I make an offline application using these informations?
Can I print out the map and hang it up everywhere?
Can I use the data to make interesting statistics?
Can I render the map myself showing bicycle routes, places to get
water and pubs?
Can I (input several other scenarios allowed by OSM and not Google
here)?