Why not update Picasa Linux to 3.6?

Jul 18, 2010, 6:04:49 AM7/18/10
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Wine http://www.winehq.org , has updated to 1.2.
I think is a good time to make a new package of the last version of
Picasa (3.6) for Linux.

Is there any plan to release a new version of Picasa for Linux?

Patrick Shanahan

Jul 19, 2010, 8:38:52 AM7/19/10
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* R <rzr...@gmail.com> [07-19-10 03:08]:

I believe linux specific development of picasa ceased with the last
issued beta package. The "linux" version was just a "tweaked" version of
wine packaged with the (maybe tweeked) windows version of picasa, there
is really no reason to continue linux development. iianm, there was no
intention to build a native linux version anyway.

The latest windows version of picasa, 3.6, installs and runs fine with
the recent wine versions. Try it, you will see little difference to the
older "linux" versions other than improved functionality.

mhenriday

Jul 19, 2010, 11:48:48 AM7/19/10
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Patrick, releasing an updated Picasa package for Linux would have one
great advantage for new Linux users - simplicity and ease of
installation. Unfortunately, I suspect you are correct in that Google
decided that this user segment was not of sufficient interest that the
resources (we had, for example, really great Google guides on this
forum) involved in maintaining the updates was justified. But it
wouldn't be a bad idea if, as a sort of compensation for abandoning
the project, Google could link to a how-to for Linux users which
explained how to install Picasa for Windows under Wine....

Henri

On Jul 19, 2:38 pm, Patrick Shanahan <ptilopt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * R <rzr...@gmail.com> [07-19-10 03:08]:
>
> > Winehttp://www.winehq.org, has updated to 1.2.
> > I think is a good time to make a new package of the last version of
> > Picasa (3.6) for Linux.
>
> > Is there any plan to release a new version of Picasa for Linux?
>
> I believe linux specific development of picasa ceased with the last
> issued beta package.  The "linux" version was just a "tweaked" version of
> wine packaged with the (maybe tweeked) windows version of picasa, there
> is really no reason to continue linux development.  iianm, there was no
> intention to build a native linux version anyway.
>
> The latest windows version of picasa, 3.6, installs and runs fine with
> the recent wine versions.  Try it, you will see little difference to the
> older "linux" versions other than improved functionality.
>
> --
> Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711http://wahoo.no-ip.org    Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2

Bob Meyers

Jul 19, 2010, 12:27:20 PM7/19/10
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
I started seeing a bunch of things that didn't work with 3.6. I suspect developers found this too in their testing and thats why they aren't proceeding with it.

caldercay

Jul 19, 2010, 12:43:34 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 10:48 am, mhenriday <mhenri...@gmail.com> wrote:

> the project, Google could link to a how-to for Linux users which
> explained how to install Picasa for Windows under Wine....

It's a fairly simple task. I have the latest version
of Picasa running under the latest WINE (technically,
the RC version). Basically, what it boils down to is:
~> wine picasa36-setup[.exe]

Basically, you'll lose "desktop integration"; for example,
if you do an "export", WINE's file manager will pop up after
the export, pointing to the exported subdirectory, versus
a native desktop file manager, such as Dolphin (KDE) or
Nautilus (GNOME).

Oregonbob

Jul 19, 2010, 1:22:37 PM7/19/10
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
> Basically, you'll lose "desktop integration"; for example,
> if you do an "export", WINE's file manager will pop up after
> the export, pointing to the exported subdirectory, versus
> a native desktop file manager, such as Dolphin (KDE) or
> Nautilus (GNOME).

I exported files to which Picasa did, but the exported pictures ended
up nowhere to be found. In Picasa I kept hitting "Make a New Folder"
and it did nothing, not even complain. That is when I decided to try
Shotwell some more. It is a shame Google can't port Picasa to native
linux.

Patrick Shanahan

Jul 19, 2010, 1:44:30 PM7/19/10
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* caldercay <calde...@gmail.com> [07-19-10 13:07]:

In openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 the "Kickoff Application Launcher" puts the
picasa eexecutable in wine (one line):
env WINEPREFIX="/home/pat/.wine" wine "C:\Program Files\Google\Picasa3\Picasa3.exe"

I add an alias (one line)
alias picasa3='wine "/home/pat/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files/Google/Picasa3/Picasa3.exe"'

Patrick Shanahan

Jul 19, 2010, 1:51:36 PM7/19/10
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* mhenriday <mhen...@gmail.com> [01-01-70 11:34]:

> Patrick, releasing an updated Picasa package for Linux would have one
> great advantage for new Linux users - simplicity and ease of
> installation. Unfortunately, I suspect you are correct in that Google
> decided that this user segment was not of sufficient interest that the
> resources (we had, for example, really great Google guides on this
> forum) involved in maintaining the updates was justified. But it
> wouldn't be a bad idea if, as a sort of compensation for abandoning
> the project, Google could link to a how-to for Linux users which
> explained how to install Picasa for Windows under Wine....

Yes, google *could* help, but....

And, concise instructions for installing picasa 3.6 from wine in linux
have been posted here recently five or six times. It is really simple
for later linux versions,
wine picasa36-setup.exe

adding an alias or menu instance may pose new users more problem :^)

caldercay

Jul 19, 2010, 5:00:44 PM7/19/10
On Jul 19, 12:44 pm, Patrick Shanahan <ptilopt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> * caldercay <calder....@gmail.com> [07-19-10 13:07]:

> > Basically, you'll lose "desktop integration"; for example,
> > if you do an "export", WINE's file manager will pop up after
> > the export, pointing to the exported subdirectory, versus
> > a native desktop file manager, such as Dolphin (KDE) or
> > Nautilus (GNOME).
>
> In openSUSE 11.2 x86_64 the "Kickoff Application Launcher" puts the
> picasa eexecutable in wine (one line):
> env WINEPREFIX="/home/pat/.wine" wine "C:\Program
> Files\Google\Picasa3\Picasa3.exe"
>
> I add an alias (one line)
> alias picasa3='wine "/home/pat/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program
> Files/Google/Picasa3/Picasa3.exe"'

I have a Picasa menu entry in "Applications:WINE:Programs:Picasa3",
which was automatically created during the Picasa install. Most users
will get that if they install a "Picasa not customized by Google"
version of Picasa (versus: Applications:Graphics:Photography:Picasa3).

What I'm referring to, as far as "desktop integration" is as
I referred to by example. Let's say Picasa is running and you
select a couple of photos and then select "Export" - a dialog box
is displayed offering the chance to alter some settings for the
Export. Click the Export button and the the new image file is written
to the "export directory" [specified] and then a file manager is
launched, with the contents of the "export directory" displayed.

For the "Picasa customized by Google" version of Picasa, a native
file manager is launched, such as Dolphin or Nautilus.

For the "Picasa not customized by Google" version of Picasa, the
"WINE File Manager" is launched.

David

Jul 20, 2010, 2:07:30 AM7/20/10
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
Didn't Google decide to give up Windows systems recently? If they are
giving their employees
the choice of Mac or Linux, shouldn't they at least write Picasa in
native Linux?

Or, maybe they could open source Picasa. It's not like they are
charging anything for it. It might
also increase the draw to the FOSS community. Users would still need
to pay for Picasaweb
storage over 1GB.

The Windows Live Photo program (I'm drawing a blank on the exact name
just now) certainly
has some very nice features, like tags and face recognition that
transfer with the photo, rather than
just being in a central database. It might make going to a new system
easier, as Picasa could
easily recover the facial recognition information, rather than having
to go through all of it again.

caldercay

Jul 20, 2010, 9:40:41 AM7/20/10
On Jul 20, 1:07 am, David <david.pa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Didn't Google decide to give up Windows systems recently?  If they are
> giving their employees the choice of Mac or Linux, shouldn't they at least
> write Picasa in native Linux?
>
> Or, maybe they could open source Picasa.  It's not like they are
> charging anything for it.  It might also increase the draw to the
> FOSS community.  Users would still need to pay for Picasaweb
> storage over 1GB.

Correct on the "giving up on Windows at Google". If you notice
where Google is going with ChromeOS, you'll see their direction
is about everything being in the cloud. I should clarify that it's
not "their direction", but their view on what the future will be for
all people with respect to computer use.

> The Windows Live Photo program (I'm drawing a blank on the exact name
> just now) certainly has some very nice features, like tags and face recognition
> that transfer with the photo, rather than just being in a central database.

Personally, I'd rather use a non-destructive photo editor.

The Real Bev

Jul 20, 2010, 10:25:15 PM7/20/10
On 07/19/10 10:51, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * mhenriday<mhen...@gmail.com> [01-01-70 11:34]:
>> Patrick, releasing an updated Picasa package for Linux would have one
>> great advantage for new Linux users - simplicity and ease of
>> installation. Unfortunately, I suspect you are correct in that Google
>> decided that this user segment was not of sufficient interest that the
>> resources (we had, for example, really great Google guides on this
>> forum) involved in maintaining the updates was justified. But it
>> wouldn't be a bad idea if, as a sort of compensation for abandoning
>> the project, Google could link to a how-to for Linux users which
>> explained how to install Picasa for Windows under Wine....
>
> Yes, google *could* help, but....
>
> And, concise instructions for installing picasa 3.6 from wine in linux
> have been posted here recently five or six times. It is really simple
> for later linux versions,
> wine picasa36-setup.exe

Is updating wine from whatever was included in the last linux version
essential?

> adding an alias or menu instance may pose new users more problem :^)

Aliases are what memory macros (I think that's what they were called,
anyway) were in DOS -- a tool for the lazy. I <heart> lazy!

BTW, if anybody cares, I can't see a single google video with the latest
firefox/linux. "Can't initialize plugin", but no mention of what plugin
it might want.

--
Cheers, Bev
You need only three tools: WD-40, duct tape and a hammer. If it doesn't

Patrick Shanahan

Jul 20, 2010, 10:48:48 PM7/20/10
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [07-20-10 22:27]:

> Is updating wine from whatever was included in the last linux version
> essential?

ONLY if you want to keep your previous data. Personally, I would save
the old versions data files and then try to put them back into the new
version.

> >adding an alias or menu instance may pose new users more problem :^)
>
> Aliases are what memory macros (I think that's what they were called,
> anyway) were in DOS -- a tool for the lazy. I <heart> lazy!

I believe that would come closer to "memory batch files". I would define
a linux alias as a named link to an operation with included parameters.

> BTW, if anybody cares, I can't see a single google video with the
> latest firefox/linux. "Can't initialize plugin", but no mention of
> what plugin it might want.

I have no problem with MozillaFirefox 3.6.7, just tried it. Wasn't asked
for a *plugin*. openSUSE 11.2 x86_64

caldercay

Jul 21, 2010, 12:02:24 PM7/21/10
to Google-Labs-Picasa-for-Linux
On Jul 20, 9:25 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> Is updating wine from whatever was included in the last
> linux version essential?

Not essential, but why not reap the benefits that
the newer WINE has to offer. Of course, it also
depends what version you're running. Check out the
WINE changelog to see what changes have been applied.

> > adding an alias or menu instance may pose new users more problem  :^)
>
> Aliases are what memory macros (I think that's what they were called,
> anyway) were in DOS -- a tool for the lazy.  I <heart> lazy!

Not sure what a "memory macro" is :) FWIW, in the old
DOS days, we referred to them as "DOS batch files".
(If that's what you're referring to).

In the Unix/Linux world, a DOS batch file would be akin
to, for example, a BASH script file. Simply, both are
text files that contain one or more [shell or external]
commands (and offers programming constructs), thus
automating a repetitive sequence of commands and/or logic.

An "alias" is a bit different, although it could be argued
that an alias is akin to a script. An alias is a shortcut
or synonym or abbreviation (take your pick:) which allows
a "name" to be associated to some command string. An alias
is specific to the shell (such as BASH). An alias can also
contain logic statements.

Aliases can be created (and deleted) at the command-line
or defined within the login script (so it's always avail)
and within BASH scripts. Open a command-line and execute
"alias" and a list of current aliases is displayed.

Example ... tired of having to type ...
~> ls -alhi --file-type --group-directories-first
... all the time? Create an alias for it:
~> alias myls='ls -alhi --file-type --group-directories-first'
Now, simply type "myls" and it'll expand to the "long" version :)

> BTW, if anybody cares, I can't see a single google video with the latest
> firefox/linux.  "Can't initialize plugin", but no mention of what plugin
> it might want.

No problems here. I have FF 3.6.7 and the FF 4-beta and
Google videos work fine (and YouTube). Ensure the Flash
player plugin is recognized by FF.

The Real Bev

Jul 22, 2010, 11:25:16 PM7/22/10
On 07/21/10 09:02, caldercay wrote:

> On Jul 20, 9:25 pm, The Real Bev<bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [snip]
>> Is updating wine from whatever was included in the last
>> linux version essential?
>
> Not essential, but why not reap the benefits that
> the newer WINE has to offer. Of course, it also
> depends what version you're running. Check out the
> WINE changelog to see what changes have been applied.

I don't really care, I just want to know that recent versions of
Picasa/Win will work under the last version of wine provided with the
linux version. What I don't want to do is get into a mess of
configuration/additional libraries/modification/recompilation crap for
what seems to be marginal benefit.

In case you wonder why I'm so negative, I just tried to install Chrome
for linux. It wouldn't. It wanted something that wanted something else
that I simply couldn't find. I'm lazy now, and my tolerance for
frustration is a lot lower now than it was 20 years ago.

>> > adding an alias or menu instance may pose new users more problem :^)
>>
>> Aliases are what memory macros (I think that's what they were called,
>> anyway) were in DOS -- a tool for the lazy. I<heart> lazy!
>
> Not sure what a "memory macro" is :) FWIW, in the old
> DOS days, we referred to them as "DOS batch files".
> (If that's what you're referring to).

I found this capability late in my DOS life. You could write a mess of
small batch filettes (can't remember what the limit was) in a single
file, much like the alias file. The whole thing was kept in memory.
Probably faster, but mainly I just hated the idea of wasting all that
disk space on dumb little one-line batch files, especially since I was
getting a rep as a space hog with the sysadmin.

> In the Unix/Linux world, a DOS batch file would be akin
> to, for example, a BASH script file. Simply, both are
> text files that contain one or more [shell or external]
> commands (and offers programming constructs), thus
> automating a repetitive sequence of commands and/or logic.
>
> An "alias" is a bit different, although it could be argued
> that an alias is akin to a script. An alias is a shortcut
> or synonym or abbreviation (take your pick:) which allows
> a "name" to be associated to some command string. An alias
> is specific to the shell (such as BASH). An alias can also
> contain logic statements.
>
> Aliases can be created (and deleted) at the command-line
> or defined within the login script (so it's always avail)
> and within BASH scripts. Open a command-line and execute
> "alias" and a list of current aliases is displayed.
>
> Example ... tired of having to type ...
> ~> ls -alhi --file-type --group-directories-first
> ... all the time? Create an alias for it:
> ~> alias myls='ls -alhi --file-type --group-directories-first'
> Now, simply type "myls" and it'll expand to the "long" version :)

I've used 'dird' for a decade now -- 'ls -altGF --color=yes |more' --
and couldn't get along without it.

>> BTW, if anybody cares, I can't see a single google video with the latest
>> firefox/linux. "Can't initialize plugin", but no mention of what plugin
>> it might want.
>
> No problems here. I have FF 3.6.7 and the FF 4-beta and
> Google videos work fine (and YouTube). Ensure the Flash
> player plugin is recognized by FF.

I installed the latest flash and it works with other sites. Just one
more nastiness. Boy, Adobe doesn't make it easy, do they?

--
Cheers, Bev
---------------------------------

Patrick Shanahan

Jul 22, 2010, 11:38:28 PM7/22/10
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [07-22-10 23:27]:

> I don't really care, I just want to know that recent versions of
> Picasa/Win will work under the last version of wine provided with the
> linux version. What I don't want to do is get into a mess of
> configuration/additional libraries/modification/recompilation crap
> for what seems to be marginal benefit.

to get picasa 3.6 running on linux, all that is required is:
wine picasa36-setup.exe

anything else is dressing :^)

what distro/ver are you running that you had that much trouble installing
the chrome browser?

openSUSE 11.2 x86_64
rpm -Uvh chromium-6.0.443.0-5.1.x86_64.rpm

installed and running

The Real Bev

Jul 23, 2010, 12:58:42 AM7/23/10
On 07/22/10 20:38, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> [07-22-10 23:27]:
>>
>> I don't really care, I just want to know that recent versions of
>> Picasa/Win will work under the last version of wine provided with the
>> linux version. What I don't want to do is get into a mess of
>> configuration/additional libraries/modification/recompilation crap
>> for what seems to be marginal benefit.
>>
> to get picasa 3.6 running on linux, all that is required is:
> wine picasa36-setup.exe
>
> anything else is dressing :^)

OK, I'll give it a shot when I get the energy, but if it goes all
pear-shaped I'm going to blame YOU.

> what distro/ver are you running that you had that much trouble installing
> the chrome browser?

Slackware with fvwm95. I like the way it works WHEN IT'S FINALLY
WORKING, but nothing is EVER easy. My live-in consultant uses
Slackware, but hates X and refuses to use it unless it's absolutely
essential. I distrust RPMs because the damn things can never find the
right libraries even though they're there where slackware likes them, so
I have to make links if nodeps doesn't work.

Moreover, the motherboard (I assume) is flakey and won't recognize SATA
drives, insists that additional drives be hdg and hdh, and the USB
connections are iffy. </whine>

> openSUSE 11.2 x86_64
> rpm -Uvh chromium-6.0.443.0-5.1.x86_64.rpm
>
> installed and running

Is there any real advantage over firefox?

--
Cheers, Bev
====================================

Patrick Shanahan

Jul 23, 2010, 8:48:25 AM7/23/10
to google-labs-pi...@googlegroups.com
* The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> [07-23-10 01:01]:

> Is there any real advantage over firefox?

I believe chromium is a little less resource hungry, but it that is
paramount there is always dillo, midori, rekonq, arora, lynx and w3m.

caldercay

Jul 23, 2010, 11:30:18 AM7/23/10
On Jul 22, 11:58 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Slackware with fvwm95.  I like the way it works WHEN IT'S FINALLY
> WORKING, but nothing is EVER easy.

I'd suggest you use a higher-level GNU/Linux distro.
Slackware requires much more attention to detail.

> Is there any real advantage over firefox?

Chrome has a number of advantages. It has
a smaller footprint, has a faster rendering engine
and faster Javascript engine. There's less GUI
eye-candy.

One great feature is that each tab runs as its
own process, so if one tab page hangs or
crashes, that one tab page dies, and not the
whole browser. Imagine if you have 6 or 7
tab-pages open and one of them crashes on
Firefox - the whole browser will crash - with
Chrome, only that one tab crashes.

Sorry for going off-topic. alt.os.linux or
comp.os.linux.setup/comp.os.linux.misc
USENET groups would be more appropriate
for general GNU/Linux questions/discussions
outside of running Picasa on GNU/Linux :)

caldercay

Jul 23, 2010, 11:08:22 AM7/23/10
On Jul 22, 10:25 pm, The Real Bev <bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't really care, I just want to know that recent versions of
> Picasa/Win will work under the last version of wine provided with the
> linux version.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I'm running Picasa 3.6 on
the bleeding edge WINE (the "development version" or
"nightly build"), so "yes", it does.

What GNU/Linux distro and version are you running?

> In case you wonder why I'm so negative, I just tried to install Chrome
> for linux.  It wouldn't.  It wanted something that wanted something else

Interesting. I've got Chrome running fine on 20+ different
distros. However, Chromium is my primary browser and
I run the nightly build of it with no issues.

Sounds as if you're running a GNU/Linux distro that doesn't
know how to resolve package dependencies.

The Real Bev

Jul 24, 2010, 6:43:30 PM7/24/10
On 07/23/10 05:48, Patrick Shanahan wrote:

> * The Real Bev<bashl...@gmail.com> [07-23-10 01:01]:
>>
>> Is there any real advantage over firefox?
>
> I believe chromium is a little less resource hungry, but it that is
> paramount there is always dillo, midori, rekonq, arora, lynx and w3m.

OK, no real advantage then. Much disadvantage. I spent nearly an hour
trying to make the UI fonts (menu, etc.) bigger or bold or SOMETHING
more readable than the tiny dot-matrix-like font currently used which
requires us to be two to three feet away from the 52" TV in order to
read it. Real bitch. Not Ready For Prime Time.

None of which has anything to do with Picasa, which I like. If it ain't
broke, don't fix it.

--
Cheers, Bev
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

The Real Bev

Jul 24, 2010, 6:46:26 PM7/24/10
On 07/23/10 08:30, caldercay wrote:

> On Jul 22, 11:58 pm, The Real Bev<bashley...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Slackware with fvwm95. I like the way it works WHEN IT'S FINALLY
>> WORKING, but nothing is EVER easy.
>
> I'd suggest you use a higher-level GNU/Linux distro. Slackware
> requires much more attention to detail.

Yes, but Rule 1 about choosing distributions is to ALWAYS pick the same
one your consultant/helper/husband uses :-)

>> Is there any real advantage over firefox?
>
> Chrome has a number of advantages. It has a smaller footprint, has a
> faster rendering engine and faster Javascript engine. There's less
> GUI eye-candy.
>
> One great feature is that each tab runs as its own process, so if one
> tab page hangs or crashes, that one tab page dies, and not the whole
> browser. Imagine if you have 6 or 7 tab-pages open and one of them
> crashes on Firefox - the whole browser will crash - with Chrome, only
> that one tab crashes.
>
> Sorry for going off-topic. alt.os.linux or
> comp.os.linux.setup/comp.os.linux.misc USENET groups would be more
> appropriate for general GNU/Linux questions/discussions outside of
> running Picasa on GNU/Linux :)

Thread drift. Mea culpa.