Google Friends Newsletter - May 2006

Google Friends Newsletter

May 24, 2006, 2:52:04 PM5/24/06
to Google Friends
Google Friends Newsletter
May 2006

As we work our way slowly but surely into the season of baseball and
barbecues, it's our pleasure to welcome you, Google Friends, to the May
edition of this newsletter. We hope you'll enjoy reading about what
we've been up to in the last month, and find the updates useful.

POWER TIP

Adding pictures to Gmail
Most of you probably already know that Google Talk lets you add your
own pictures to your icon slot, and were probably expecting that we'd
eventually add that functionality to Gmail too. Well, you were right:
You can now choose your own pic to use as an icon in Gmail. But you may
not have heard that you can also display your own pictures of the
people on your contacts list, and send them picture suggestions if you
find something that would make a good icon.
Assign a picture:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=38355
Suggest a picture:
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=35528

NEW PRODUCTS

Google Co-op
Google Co-op improves search for everyone by allowing people to label
web pages relevant to their areas of expertise and create specialized
links users can subscribe to. So, for example, if a you're a doctor who
knows a lot about arthritis, you can label web pages related to the
disease, and other Google Co-op users who subscribe to your information
will receive new search refinement options (such as "treatment,"
"symptoms," or "for health professionals") at the top of their results
page when they enter a relevant query.
http://www.google.com/coop

Google Desktop
Google Desktop 4 lets you personalize your desktop with a variety of
Google Gadgets. These gadgets are mini-applications that reside on your
desktop and deliver a variety of services and information, including
games, media players, news updates, and weather info. We've also added
several other features, including a new Google Desktop Gadgets API that
will let you create your own gadgets and share them with others.
http://desktop.google.com

Google Notebook
Google Notebook is a free browser tool that makes web research of all
kinds-from planning a vacation to comparison shopping to purchasing a
car-easier and more efficient. It allows you to send clippings of
text, images, and links to an online notebook without ever leaving the
page you're on. You can also add your own notes, organize notebooks
into sections, and make your notebooks public for others to view.
http://www.google.com/notebook

Google Trends
Google Trends enables you to compare the world's interest in your
favorite topics. You can enter up to five topics and see how often
they've been searched for on Google over time. Google Trends also
displays how frequently your topics have appeared in Google News
stories, and which geographic regions have searched for them most
often.
http://www.google.com/trends

Google Page Creator
The name says it all, really--Google Page Creator is a new Labs product
we're testing that lets you easily create web pages that are both
functional and stylish. Google Page Creator removes the usual headaches
of designing a web page (like learning HTML or hiring someone who
already has), so you can get your ideas up on the web faster.
http://pages.google.com

MISCELLANY

Avoiding RSI
If you're like a lot of people who work with computers, your desk
chair molds perfectly to your body, and your mouse and keyboard are as
broken-in as an old baseball glove. And if that is the case, then you
might be as interested as we were to read the latest blog post from our
staff doctor, Taraneh Razavi. In the post, Dr. Razavi weighs in on
repetitive stress injury, or RSI, giving us a sense of just how
widespread a problem it is and sharing some useful tips on how we can
avoid it.
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2006/04/avoiding-rsi.html