Google Friends Newsletter - September 2007

Google Friends Newsletter

Oct 2, 2007, 1:27:54 PM10/2/07
to Google Friends
Google Friends Newsletter - September 2007

Fall greetings to all of our Google friends! We hope you enjoy this
month's update on our products and services.

------------
POWER TIP

Use Advanced Search to refine your search results

Try using many of the features available on the Advanced Search
console to refine and improve the quality of your search results. From
this page you can specify which words to include, exclude, or group
together. You can also use the numeric range to only return results
that fall within a specific set of dates, prices, or numbers (e.g.
"World War" between 1939 and 1941), or search by date to restrict your
query to a specific time period - ranging from 24 hours to six months.
http://www.google.com/advanced_search

------------
NEW PRODUCTS & UPDATES

New homepage, My Library and Popular Passages for Google Book Search

Google Book Search unveils a new homepage that gives you a number of
jumping-off points for exploring the books in our index. We've also
added a 'My Library' feature for creating your personal book
collections in Book Search, which will enable you to organize,
annotate, share, and of course, do full text searching. Other new
features include 'Clip and paste', for copying passages from your
favorite out-of-copyright books so you can post them directly to
Blogger or Google Notebook; and 'Popular Passages', which lets you
trace the evolution of popular quotations through time.
http://books.google.com

New and improved Google Moon

In conjunction with Google's sponsorship of the Lunar X-Prize, there's
a brand new Google Moon, updated with plenty of great content from
NASA, including new high resolution imagery, detailed descriptions of
the Apollo missions, and lunar "street views."
http://moon.google.com

Stay in the (time) zone

Next time you do a web search, type "time" followed by a city, state,
or country and Google will return the time for your desired location.
If you enter a location with multiple time zones, we'll display
results for all applicable time zones; or, if you enter a location in
multiple states or countries, we'll show all locations with a similar
name so you can choose between them. Finally, if you have left your
watch and/or cell phone at home (which happens all the time around
here) and don't have the time to type very much, just enter "time" and
you'll see how late you're running!
http://www.google.com

Create and share presentations with Google Docs

There's a new Google Docs presentation feature so you can create,
share, and manage presentations on the web. Not only can you
collaborate online and make changes instantaneously, but you can also
present together and chat live about your edits. Google Docs also
supports many popular file formats, so you can upload presentations
you've already made to share online.
http://documents.google.com

Keep up to date with Google Video Alerts

With Google Video Alerts, you can choose specific topics or queries
and we'll deliver interesting and relevant videos to your email inbox
daily, weekly, or as they happen. Stay up to date with the latest
video for everything from current events like the 2008 Election to
personal hobbies like bowling. If you're interested in more than just
video, you can also receive alerts for blogs, web results, news, or
discussion groups. To start receiving Video Alerts, visit the Google
Alerts homepage directly or set up the alert during your video
searches.
http://www.google.com/alerts

------------

MISCELLANY

It's easy enough to get caught up in the workaday world, but millions
of Americans also find time to support a vast array of nonprofit
organizations. According to the U.S. government's Corporation for
National & Community Service, the proportion of Americans volunteering
with an educational or youth service organization has seen a 63
percent increase just since just 1989. There are an astounding range
of worthy causes out there, and Google can help. We now offer a host
of online tools to make their work easier - and affordable. Last week,
for example, YouTube unveiled a new program designed for nonprofit
organizations that want to connect with supporters, volunteers, and
donors, but don't have the funds to launch expensive outreach
campaigns. Educators will want to know about Google Apps Education
Edition as well as the Google Teacher Academy, both of which can
support teachers and K-12 schools. We also support nonprofits with
Google Grants, our in-kind advertising program built on Google
AdWords. Most recently, we unveiled a program for nonprofits to take
advantage of Google Checkout for processing donations and
transactions.

Tell your favorite 501(c)(3) organization to investigate any or all of
these, with our thanks for their hard work towards the greater good.

http://www.youtube.com/nonprofits
http://www.google.com/educators/index.html
http://www.google.com/grants
http://www.google.com/checkout/npo