[kml-support] Opera support

Jan Doležal

May 20, 2010, 9:04:22 AM5/20/10
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
I don't have any question, but a suggestion. I've managed to run
Google Earth Plugin in my Opera browser. It's not difficult. You just
have to add installed Google Earth Plugin in Properties - Advanced -
Programs (I don't use english version, so I'm not sure about the
names).

The only problem is, that Google Maps does a browser check and then it
decides if it adds the Earth button in the Google Maps window. There
is a solution. You have to identify your Opera browser as Internet
Explorer or Firefox. Well I don't feel very comfortable with this
solution. So I think that browser check should be removed or done in a
different way.

Thank you.

Rossko

May 20, 2010, 5:06:54 PM5/20/10
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
> The only problem is, that Google Maps does a browser check and then it
> decides if it adds the Earth button in the Google Maps window. There
> is a solution. You have to identify your Opera browser as Internet
> Explorer or Firefox. Well I don't feel very comfortable with this
> solution. So I think that browser check should be removed or done in a
> different way.

Opera is not in the supported browser list
http://code.google.com/apis/earth/documentation/
so I think you will have to stick with the workaround

Jan Doležal

May 21, 2010, 6:20:58 AM5/21/10
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
> Opera is not in the supported browser list

Well that's the problem. Why isn't Opera supported? The plugin works,
the instalation is just little complicated and I'm sure that it can be
done better.

Rossko

May 21, 2010, 8:16:39 AM5/21/10
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
> Well that's the problem. Why isn't Opera supported?

I don't know.
Here is where you can post enhancement requests -
http://code.google.com/p/earth-api-samples/issues/list
and indeed it has been asked about before
http://code.google.com/p/earth-api-samples/issues/detail?id=22
so you could add your star to that request.

mikemcc

May 25, 2010, 5:01:49 PM5/25/10
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
Thanks Jan.

In Opera under Tools | Preferences | Advanced | Programs

1. Exactly what protocol should I add ?
2. What program path and name ? I guess C:\Program Files\Google\Google
Earth\plugin\geplugin.exe

Thanks again. Mike McC

Jan Doležal

May 26, 2010, 1:33:23 AM5/26/10
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
mikemcc: Yes, the path, you wrote is exactly what i meant.

In Tools - Preferences - Advanced - Programs, there is the Add button.
You can name the protocol you like and then you choose the third
choice in the list - Open another application and choose the plugin in
the path you wrote.

The change of browser identification is under F12 key. Choose Edit
local settings - then last list Connection and there is a list of
choices you can identify your browser. The best choice is Mask as
Firefox.

Again, I don't use English Opera, so I'm not sure about the names,
sorry. :-)

mikemcc

May 26, 2010, 6:39:52 PM5/26/10
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Plug-in
Thanks Jan. Perfect. I would never have worked that out.