Polygons don't render correctly

shsavage

Jun 30, 2008, 5:01:42 PM6/30/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Greetings,

I'm trying to render partially transparent polygons on the GE API,
and getting strange results. It's a bit hard to explain, so please
check this link for a live version of the API and a .swf movie of what
it looks like on my computer:

http://gaialab.asu.edu/DAAHL/checkboxes.htm

The live version has two checkboxes that toggle different .kml polygon
layers from my server, and the movie version was made from my
computer, showing what happens to the two polygons when I pan and
zoom.

As you can see I'm only getting part of the polygons to render, and
the part that's visible changes depending on how I pan and zoom. The
live version will probably look normal to users who don't have this
problem, but it happens here on a number of computers. This seems to
be the same kind of behavior I get in DirectX mode in regular Google
Earth, where OpenGL fails to render transparent polygons at all--for
example, rendering them as solid black to solid red depending on where
the transparency slider is set.

Any help would be appreciated--it's difficult to develop anything for
the new GE API when I can't see what's really happening.

Thanks,

-Steve

ManoM

Jul 2, 2008, 3:33:19 PM7/2/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Hi Steve,

Talking to you offline, it seems like this is an issue with the video
driver that needs to be updated. I wanted to mention it here, so
others might benefit from knowing that.

Mano

juan carlos

Jul 17, 2008, 6:42:01 PM7/17/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
hi...
I have the same issue in two client laptops...
but in my development laptop it works fine...
any help?

ManoM

Jul 17, 2008, 6:51:57 PM7/17/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Hi Juan,

Did you try to update the video drivers on those laptops?

Mano

juan carlos

Jul 21, 2008, 12:17:33 PM7/21/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
> Did you try to update the video drivers on those laptops?

It looks hard to say that to all my clients :(

shsavage

Jul 21, 2008, 5:11:11 PM7/21/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Hi Juan,

I was never able to resolve this issue by loading newer video
drivers. I use Dell computers, and they don't let you update drivers
for certain types of on-board video cards (i.e. on the motherboard).
I had to purchase new video cards for my lab computers to get the
problem solved... Unfortunately, as you say, not something you will
want to tell your clients.

-Steve

juan carlos

Jul 31, 2008, 12:31:53 PM7/31/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
you can see a couple of screenshots of the bug here:
http://blog.gkudos.com/2008/07/31/geographical-visualization-of-government-contracts-in-colombia-vgicc/
(look at "lessons learned" section)

Roman N

Jul 31, 2008, 8:46:00 PM7/31/08
to KML Developer Support - Google Earth Browser Plugin
Juan,

The Google Earth and Earth Plug-in teams are working on fixing
rendering bugs such as this. When fixes are available, your users will
receive the updates automatically and without interruption.

Also, feel free to mention Google Earth's minimum system requirements
to your users (found at http://earth.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=20701&topic=15099).
If you determine that this rendering bug occurs only with specific
video card model(s), please let us know.

- Roman