Difference between "{single_word"} and {single_word} searches

Alexandru Farcaş

Aug 10, 2011, 10:36:51 AM8/10/11
to Google Documents List API
For example for this:
"mody" - I receive 62 results
mody - I receive >200 results
Which is the difference between this searches?

(*) - this happens also on docs.google.com, not only in api

--Alexandru

Vic Fryzel

Aug 11, 2011, 2:04:44 PM8/11/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com
I suspect it's because "mody" is an exact phrase, where as mody could be a portion of a word.

-Vic

Alexandru Farcaş

Aug 12, 2011, 10:20:08 AM8/12/11
to Google Documents List API
Hi Vic,

In many documents from search result I don't find mody at all.
(but modi exists - I've tried to test this with other examples but
it's not a rule)
It must be something else...

-- Alex

Vic Fryzel

Aug 12, 2011, 11:15:49 AM8/12/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, alright let me investigate and I'll get back to you.

-Vic

Andrei F

Aug 15, 2011, 5:11:44 AM8/15/11
to Google Documents List API
I noticed that as well... Normally there shouldn't be any difference
right ?

Vic Fryzel

Aug 15, 2011, 10:33:10 AM8/15/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com
We're investigating this, but in the interim I'd recommend using "word".  This may have to do with how we parse queries.

-Vic

Alexandru Farcaş

Aug 17, 2011, 10:30:18 AM8/17/11
to Google Documents List API
So,for the expression: {word1 word2 word3}, I must search {"word1"
"word2" "word3"} to be sure that all the words are in the documents
result?

--Alex

Vic Fryzel

Aug 19, 2011, 12:24:54 AM8/19/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com
Still researching this.  Should have an answer for you in the next few days.  Sorry for the delay, and thanks for your patience.

-Vic

Vic Fryzel

Aug 19, 2011, 12:30:35 AM8/19/11
to google-docum...@googlegroups.com
Can you guys give me a user account (email address) exhibiting the issue, and the exact queries that you're using to reproduce?  Please send in a private email on this same thread.

Thanks,
-Vic