Temporary problem - please try again later. The user is over quota.

Alexey Panteleev

Apr 13, 2012, 3:08:19 PM4/13/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Hello, we just started getting the following error for all our users.
Could you please explain what is going on? We're still using v2 api.

google.gdata.util.ServiceException: Service Unavailable
Temporary problem - please try again later. The user is over quota.

com.yoxel.sync.mail.SyncException: com.google.gdata.util.ServiceException: Service Unavailable
Temporary problem - please try again later. The user is over quota.

Caused by: com.google.gdata.util.ServiceException: Service Unavailable
        at com.google.gdata.client.http.HttpGDataRequest.handleErrorResponse(HttpGDataRequest.java:624) ~[gdata-core-1.0-1.41.5.jar:na]
        at com.google.gdata.client.http.GoogleGDataRequest.handleErrorResponse(GoogleGDataRequest.java:563) ~[gdata-core-1.0-1.41.5.jar:na]
        at com.google.gdata.client.http.HttpGDataRequest.checkResponse(HttpGDataRequest.java:552) ~[gdata-core-1.0-1.41.5.jar:na]
        at com.google.gdata.client.http.HttpGDataRequest.execute(HttpGDataRequest.java:530) ~[gdata-core-1.0-1.41.5.jar:na]
        at com.google.gdata.client.http.GoogleGDataRequest.execute(GoogleGDataRequest.java:535) ~[gdata-core-1.0-1.41.5.jar:na]
        at com.google.gdata.client.Service.update(Service.java:1563) ~[gdata-core-1.0-1.41.5.jar:1.41.5]
        at com.google.gdata.client.Service.update(Service.java:1530) ~[gdata-core-1.0-1.41.5.jar:1.41.5]
        at com.google.gdata.client.GoogleService.update(GoogleService.java:583) ~[gdata-core-1.0-1.41.5.jar:1.41.5]

Alexey Panteleev

Apr 13, 2012, 3:29:07 PM4/13/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
If there is indeed a user quota issue please explain how to address it.
I know the new v3 tasks/calendar API has some quotas but I am not sure where that could be set for the v2 contacts.
Thank you

On 4/13/12 12:08 PM, "Alexey Panteleev" <ale...@yoxel.com> wrote:

Hello, we just started getting the following error for all our users.
Could you please explain what is going on? We're still using v2 api.

google.gdata.util.ServiceException: Service Unavailable
Temporary problem - please try again later. The user is over quota.

Alexey Panteleev

Apr 15, 2012, 2:14:09 AM4/15/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Ok, going to put rate limiting handling in place ...

Donald

Apr 15, 2012, 3:54:41 AM4/15/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting similar errors for my contacts sync app for the iPhone.  Is there a quota on contacts now?

Andreas Winkler

Apr 15, 2012, 5:07:26 AM4/15/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
ich habe das auch seit gestern mit gsnc, kann aber nichts bei Google finden. Weis schon jemand was man da machen kann?
Der Support von gsync,. welches ich in Outlook nutze antwortete folgendes

Thank you for contacting Fieldston Software product support.

Your request will be reviewed as soon as possible.

While we do our best to respond to requests as soon as they arrive some requests may take 24 - 48 to receive a response.

If this is a "User Reported Error" issued from within our application please note that these reports are managed in a different support queue and you may not receive a response. It is best to email support directly and reference that you've also reported the error to us.

Thank You.

Support @ Fieldston Software

John Brayton

Apr 15, 2012, 8:54:41 AM4/15/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing similar issues, and also 503 responses when retrieving
photos associated with contacts. Can we get a response from Google on
what is taking place? If there is now rate limiting in place, we
really need information on what the rate limits are.

John

Andreas Winkler

Apr 16, 2012, 1:38:08 AM4/16/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Hallo,

hast Du vielleicht zufällig auch eine FRITZBOX ? Ich habe da das Googletelefonbuch eingetragen als Haupttelefonbuch. Vielleicht synct das zu oft?
Obwohl...bei Google ist ja nichts zu lesen von reglementierung hinsichtlich Kontakte. Ich habe das mal bei mir ausgestellt und werde nun warten ob ich morgen wieder syncen kann.
Betrifft ja auch nur die Kontakte.

Am Freitag, 13. April 2012 21:08:19 UTC+2 schrieb Alexey Panteleev:
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Alexey Panteleev

Apr 17, 2012, 2:48:17 AM4/17/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
This 503 seems to be the standard rate limiting measure, meaning we're
exceeding "certain number of api calls per second" quota. So I had to
implement the "exponential backoff" (as adviced in some google forum) to put
sleeps and call again later
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_backoff)

Seems to be working well now. This just is not well documented for the
contacts API, I found references to this somewhere else.

Cheers

On 4/16/12 10:55 PM, "Donald" <donald...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 48+ hours later, the GData Contacts API continues to be problematic.
> While I've been able to get around some of the problems by rewriting
> my code to batch 100 contact operations into each ticket, my requests
> to download and upload photos continue to fail for the most part, and
> I don't think there is a way to batch photo uploads and downloads. Is
> Google imposing a rate limit on how many photos we can request per
> second? Would Google consider lifting this rate limit or at the very
> least making the rate limit per hour instead of second? Having a limit
> of perhaps 5000 photo downloads/uploads per hour seems like a better
> approach than setting a limit of perhaps 2 contacts per second which
> seems to be the current behavior.
>
> In addition to the problem with photos, requests to create multiple
> contact groups with a batch operation often come back with only some
> of the groups having been created, so my app has to detect that case
> and then submit another batch operation (up to 5 times in my
> experience) to get all of the contact groups created.
>
> Google, if you could get to the bottom of these issues, I would really
> appreciate it!
>
> On Apr 16, 9:35 am, Donald <donald.law...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Google, is there any information you can give us about these mysterious
>> errors that just started occurring?  It has created a big problem for us.

>> On Sunday, April 15, 2012 12:54:41 AM UTC-7, Donald wrote:
>>
>>> I'm getting similar errors for my contacts sync app for the iPhone.  Is
>>> there a quota on contacts now?

John Brayton

Apr 17, 2012, 7:04:44 AM4/17/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
I am seeing two different symptoms:

1. Photo requests failing. As Donald reported, the limit seems to be
roughly two requests per second. When I throttle back my photo
requests to two requests per second, I no longer see photo requests
failing.

2. I am getting 503 responses to login requests via ClientLogin where
I have issued a large number of requests for either the contact list
or contact photos. In one case, the issue is a test account with a
large number of contacts. I have been exercising the Contacts API on
this test account extensively in an effort to deal with this problem.
However, in another case one of my customers is encountering this with
my software.

I am eager to work within Google's guidelines, but am frustrated to
not know what they are. Are we limited by number of requests per
second, minute, hour, or day? Or by bytes served per second, minute,
hour, or day? Since Google is not publishing this information, the
only way to determine this is by experimenting. Experimenting only
means throwing excessive requests to the Contacts API to see where the
API stops serving us.

John

Mark Stepp

May 16, 2012, 10:33:54 AM5/16/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone found a solution for the 503 Error?    is there anyway to reset the quota?   is there a waiting period before the quota is automatically reset?   any information would be great

John Brayton

May 16, 2012, 5:50:46 PM5/16/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
I handled this by implementing exponential backoff, as described here:

http://googleappsdeveloper.blogspot.com/2011/12/documents-list-api-best-practices.html

John

Daniel Florey

May 17, 2012, 6:09:57 AM5/17/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Any official words from Google regarding this issue?
The quota seems to have changed, so it would be great to get at least some information on it.
I'm getting more and more frustrated by Google's policy.
Many times they have changed their API/platforms without any warning and killed our running apps we are building on top of the Google stack (App Engine, GData, GWT etc.)

Daniel Florey

May 23, 2012, 7:05:13 AM5/23/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
any news on this?
Users seem to be over quota for hours once the limit is hit. Google??

Daniel Florey

May 23, 2012, 7:46:41 AM5/23/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
I have a user where I'm trying since ~15 hours to list the contacts (with exponential backoff), but no chance - over quota.
This is ridiculous and makes the api almost unusable.

Any word from Google?

Daniel Florey

May 23, 2012, 6:36:12 PM5/23/12
to google-co...@googlegroups.com
I have a user trying more than 1 day without success.
The new quota is simply killing the API.