Cloud SQL Geographical replication

EmiNex

Nov 2, 2013, 3:57:18 PM11/2/13
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
in this page: https://developers.google.com/cloud-sql/?hl=it-IT is reported:

"Highly available: Features like automatic replication across multiple geographic regions are built in, so the service is available, and your data is preserved, even if a datacenter becomes unavailable. Databases can be created and replicated in datacenters in either the EU or the US. You can choose whether to use synchronous or asynchronous replication. "

What do you mean exactly for multiple geographic regions? Data are replicated in datacenter in two ( or more) country, or in datacenter in the same city (as in the Amazon AZ model) ?

Thanx!

Razvan Musaloiu-E.

Nov 2, 2013, 9:46:38 PM11/2/13
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
The data is replicated to datacenters in different geographical locations (and that's why the latency for synchronous replication is substantial).

-- Razvan ME

Joe Faith

Nov 4, 2013, 10:51:57 AM11/4/13
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
To clarify: data is replicated in different geographical locations in the same jurisdiction. Currently you can choose US or EU.
All data for US instances is replicated within the US, and data for EU instances is replicated within the EU

Joe Faith | Product Manager | Google Cloud

EmiNex

Nov 8, 2013, 9:28:50 AM11/8/13
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
Ok, let me give an example to explain what I want to know.

I choose region EU. My database is replicated in datacenters in two different UE Country. For example, data is replicated in Ireland and Italy.

Google Cloud SQL has this type of replication?

I need to know this, to understand if the connection fail of a entire country can put down the database and therefore the reliability of this service. In the example above, if Ireland fails connection for whatever reason (I know, it's a very extreme event), the italy replication keep my service online.

Thanks.

Razvan Musaloiu-E.

Nov 8, 2013, 9:57:30 AM11/8/13
to google-cloud...@googlegroups.com
Our current EU footprint is split among multiple countries so the service should still be up even if the connectivity for an entire country fails.

-- Razvan ME