IFrame does not load in IE if google chrome frame meta tag used in target Iframe src

Patrick

Sep 23, 2009, 5:08:03 PM9/23/09
to Google-chrome-frame
A co worker and I love this plug-in so we were messing around and came
across an interesting issue.
We were messing around with iframes and discovered that an iframe
whose source uses the google chrome frame meta tag will not load if
the parent page does not load in a google chrome frame, if either it
does not have the meta tag or the CF: prefix to the address.

Ex:
Parent Page html:
<iframe src="testthat.html"></iframe>

testthat.html source:

Ananta Iyengar

Sep 23, 2009, 5:18:31 PM9/23/09
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for testing this. At this point ChromeFrame only supports the meta tag detection on top level URLs.

Thanks
Ananta

Andrea Giammarchi

Sep 23, 2009, 7:05:31 PM9/23/09
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:18 PM, Ananta Iyengar <ana...@chromium.org> wrote:
Thanks for testing this. At this point ChromeFrame only supports the meta tag detection on top level URLs.

I would add why an hybrid solution would be attractive, you need Chrome or not? If it is about sandboxing for IE6 I tell you it won't work for sure, JScript and V8 do not dialog without transformations, which means no native Chrome power in IE6 JScript engine.

Regards

Maxi

Sep 29, 2009, 11:32:40 AM9/29/09
to Google-chrome-frame
I know that a hybrid solution sounds weird, but some people actually
need something like this. We have an web-based application, developed
for over four years, and we are only supporting Internet Explorer and
Firefox. We are interested in Google Chrome Frame mainly because of
canvas support. I was thinking that using an iframe would be the
easier way to upgrade only this canvas part, because running it full
in Chrome does have some display issues, and might have other problems
as well. Running all the application in GFC, would mean to get an
aproval from all of our Departments, make sure all the customers can
and will install GFC (we could try to force them by contract, but i
do not know if some have Windows 2000 or 98 machines), test all the
application, make the apropriate changes to design, and maybe fix some
issues, and all of this only in the next major release. This would
mean more effort, then to just add GFC as a recommended performance
upgrade for current IE users, and push it silently in the next minor
release.

Regards

Andrea Giammarchi

Sep 29, 2009, 11:54:40 AM9/29/09
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
If Firefox works fine, I think you should simply consider to make CSS more Chrome friendly because even using Frame via ActiveX you won't have DOM, so no canvas, and speed, as I said, won't be better.

4 years the same application, I think it's time to upgrade/maintain it, isn't it? Your company will be the only one with benefits and it can easily migrate to other browsers or update platform/Operating System when it will be time to do it.

I don't get applications that would like to be the same forever, this is not IT, imho, and IE6 support, as well as Win98/ME/2000 is not acceptable from security and performances point of view.

I know it's probably not your decision, but there are few options right now and my suggestion is: make your App more Web Starndard, and you'll be able to use Chrome, Safari, Oepra, Firefox, whatever, now, and for other 4 years :-)