Support application/xhtml+xml

james

Sep 23, 2009, 9:14:24 AM9/23/09
to Google-chrome-frame
I would like to see chrome frame add application/xhtml+xml to the
Accept header request and if the response is also of type application/
xhtml+xml then use chrome frame to render it.

This would allow the server to know that the browse (IE+chrome) does
support modern markup and provides a standard compliant way to
indicate that a modern rendering engine should be used. (where modern
= chrome frame)

A number of web servers already perform this test to detect between
modern or IE browsers. This would allow an IE+chrome to be classified
as a modern browser within this test.

codedread

Sep 23, 2009, 12:13:28 PM9/23/09
to Google-chrome-frame
+1 for auto-xhtml detection

Amit Joshi

Sep 23, 2009, 12:59:44 PM9/23/09
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Good suggestion, I am going to log a feature request to add application/xhtml+xml accept header. However, I am not sure if this is a good idea to take over any xhtml+xml response as it could be intended for IE (in future if not today). Chrome frame should be switched in only if the page explicitly requests for it.

Alex Russell

Sep 23, 2009, 3:20:34 PM9/23/09
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Amit Joshi <am...@chromium.org> wrote:
> Good suggestion, I am going to log a feature request to add
> application/xhtml+xml accept header. However, I am not sure if this is a
> good idea to take over any xhtml+xml response as it could be intended for IE
> (in future if not today). Chrome frame should be switched in only if the
> page explicitly requests for it.

What Amit said. Also, we'd like for it to be *very* clear that the
developer has explicitly asked for Chrome Frame. We don't want page
authors to ever be surprised that their page is rendering in Chrome
Frame because they changed something that didn't seem related.

Regards

Andrea Giammarchi

Sep 24, 2009, 5:02:49 AM9/24/09
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 2:14 PM, james <james-...@leighnet.ca> wrote:

I would like to see chrome frame add application/xhtml+xml to the
Accept header request and if the response is also of type application/
xhtml+xml then use chrome frame to render it.

This would allow the server to know that the browse (IE+chrome) does
support modern markup and provides a standard compliant way to
indicate that a modern rendering engine should be used. (where modern
= chrome frame)

 You don't need automatic switches for that. A PHP example:

<?php
$userAgent = $_SERVER['HTTP_USER_AGENT'];
if(
    strpos($userAgent, 'chromeframe') !== false &&
    strpos($userAgent, 'x-clock') !== false)
) {
    // your cool standard layout for Chrome
} else {
    // your crappy IE dedicated one
}
?>

The check is exactly the same Google Chrome Frame is doing via JavaScript so if that is reliable, so this is as well.
If the layout will contain the meta to switch on chrome, meta at this point present only in the clear standard W3C cool XHTML version, IE will switch on Chrome, otherwise it will not use it and behaves as every other day.

Hope this suggestion helps.

Regards,
Andrea Giammarchi

james

Sep 24, 2009, 7:25:03 PM9/24/09
to Google-chrome-frame
I would like to see application/xhtml+xml in the accept header, but
only if the browser (IE+chrome) can display it. Currently, as I
understand it, IE+chrome cannot display content of type application/
xhtml+xml (it can only download it and open the saved file in Google
Chrome).

By the way, I am happy if chrome frame /also/ requires a metatag in
the XHTML content before it activates. I just don't want the user to
get a download prompt if the XHTML is intended for the chrome
engine ;).

I don't see the feature request in the chromium issue list, but I'll
keep looking.