Smaller, less obtrusive install prompt please

Sep 22, 2009, 6:35:46 PM9/22/09
to Google-chrome-frame
Currently iframe shown by CFInstall.check() is absolutely positioned
and covers content of the page. This is rude, and often scares or
angers users.

I wish you had less obtrusive install prompt. For example trigger only
ActiveX information bar (yellow 20px bar on top of viewport).

Alex Russell

Sep 22, 2009, 8:31:49 PM9/22/09
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Hi:

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM, k <por...@pornel.net> wrote:

> Currently iframe shown by CFInstall.check() is absolutely positioned
> and covers content of the page. This is rude, and often scares or
> angers users.

We agree! It's not optimal at all. We'll be updating the install
script soon to be smaller and less obtrusive. Until then, note that
you have full control over the styling of the box. If you pull up the
page and look for the injected ".chromeFrameInstallDefaultStyle"
class, you'll see that it contains this:

.chromeFrameInstallDefaultStyle {
width: 500px;
height: 400px;
padding: 0;
border: 1px solid #0028c4;
margin: 0;
}

If you pass the className parameter to the check() function, whatever
you pass will also be added to the resulting node, letting you easily
over-ride any of these. You can also over-ride where the iframe points
using the url parameter.

Hope that helps you build a more appropriate solution for your site
until we roll out less obtrusive prompts.

> I wish you had less obtrusive install prompt. For example trigger only
> ActiveX information bar (yellow 20px bar on top of viewport).

I like that. We can add it as another mode in CFInstall. Regardless,
the default prompt window will be getting smaller in the near future.

Regards

Tchvil

Sep 23, 2009, 1:12:37 PM9/23/09
to Google-chrome-frame
It would be nice if the function CFInstall.check would return the
iframe reference.
And return undefined(may be better false) when the install is not
needed.

Then we could do whatever we want from there.
Show the iframe, move it somewhere else, etc...

Thanks for this plugin, I have big hopes on it to save me some painful
nights with IE.

On Sep 23, 2:31 am, Alex Russell <slightly...@google.com> wrote:
> Hi:
>
> On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 3:35 PM, k <por...@pornel.net> wrote:
>
> > Currently iframe shown byCFInstall.check() is absolutely positioned
> > and covers content of the page. This is rude, and often scares or
> > angers users.
>
> We agree! It's not optimal at all. We'll be updating the install
> script soon to be smaller and less obtrusive. Until then, note that
> you have full control over the styling of the box. If you pull up the
> page and look for the injected ".chromeFrameInstallDefaultStyle"
> class, you'll see that it contains this:
>
> .chromeFrameInstallDefaultStyle {
>     width: 500px;
>     height: 400px;
>     padding: 0;
>     border: 1px solid #0028c4;
>     margin: 0;
>
> }
>
> If you pass the className parameter to the check() function, whatever
> you pass will also be added to the resulting node, letting you easily
> over-ride any of these. You can also over-ride where the iframe points
> using the url parameter.
>
> Hope that helps you build a more appropriate solution for your site
> until we roll out less obtrusive prompts.
>
> > I wish you had less obtrusive install prompt. For example trigger only
> > ActiveX information bar (yellow 20px bar on top of viewport).
>
> I like that. We can add it as another mode inCFInstall. Regardless,

Alex Russell

Sep 23, 2009, 3:38:23 PM9/23/09
On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Tchvil <tch...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It would be nice if the function CFInstall.check would return the
> iframe reference.
> And return undefined(may be better false) when the install is not
> needed.
>
> Then we could do whatever we want from there.
> Show the iframe, move it somewhere else, etc...

That's totally doable. I'll add a flag for it.

Regards

Andrea Giammarchi

Sep 23, 2009, 7:19:03 PM9/23/09
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
To know if Chrome Frame is there or not you simply need to check this:
var cf = (function(i,ua){
return i<ua.indexOf("chromeframe")||i<ua.indexOf("x-clock")
})(-1,navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase());

If cf is true you can create whatever suggestion you want to let the user choose.
cf will be false in other browsers (so far)

Andrea Giammarchi

Sep 23, 2009, 7:19:34 PM9/23/09
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I replied the wrong thread, forget what I've said :D