[google-chrome-frame:1096] IE restart required?

Jacques Crocker

Apr 23, 2010, 12:29:10 AM4/23/10
to Google-chrome-frame
I've installed Chrome Frame on my website. Testing it out though, it
doesnt work immediately. I have to close and reopen the browser before
it kicks in and recognizes my meta tag.

Is this behavior expected?

Alex Russell

Apr 23, 2010, 3:25:04 PM4/23/10
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Jacques Crocker <rail...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I've installed Chrome Frame on my website. Testing it out though, it
> doesnt work immediately. I have to close and reopen the browser before
> it kicks in and recognizes my meta tag.
>
> Is this behavior expected?

No. GCF should work without a restart. I've filed a bug and will investigate:

http://crbug.com/42429

Regards

Vishu Ramanathan

Apr 23, 2010, 4:52:22 PM4/23/10
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
I've noticed something similar with http://thinklinkr.com too. Works fine after restart.

-Vishu

--
Vishu Ramanathan
co-founder thinklink llc

Robert Shield

Mar 18, 2013, 10:36:31 AM3/18/13
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
Are you running the CF installation through the regular CF download flow? Context:

By default IE requires a restart when installing a new BHO as it only scans for them at startup.

CF solves this by having its installation page poll for the CF ActiveX control to be registered at which point it invokes a method on the control to load the BHO into the currently running IE process. The method is called "registerBhoIfNeeded" as documented in http://src.chromium.org/svn/trunk/src/chrome_frame/chrome_tab.idl.

If this method is not getting called, then the BHO won't be loaded until IE is restarted. Also, IIRC a limitation of this method is that it may be that if multiple IE windows are open and are rendered by other IE processes (so for IE versions >= 8), that those other windows won't pick up the BHO until IE is restarted. If this is the case, you could manually poll for the presence of the CF ActiveX in your app and call that method during install time.

On Fri, Mar 15, 2013 at 11:34 AM, <jamie.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
seems like this thread is old, but I don't want to create duplicates.

Was there ever a solution to this? I can't find it for looking online.

Our application uses webRTC and requires IE users to install Chrome Frame in order to work as expected, but in the majority of cases Chrome Frame does not work, and is not detected by the browser agent until the browser is restarted.

It states in the Chrome Frame docs that a restart is not necessary, but our user testing tells us otherwise.

Is there any way to force an update of BHO's in IE? It seems this is why Chrome Frame is not detected, but I can't find a way to force this without a restart.

Any ideas? This is breaking our user experience if we need to ask the user to restart their browser to use our web app.

Thanks for any help offered!

Regards

Jamie