[google-chrome-frame:1159] Chrome frame works, but gcf: prefix doesn't? Why?

buckaroo_benzai

May 24, 2010, 11:57:20 AM5/24/10
to Google-chrome-frame
I installed Chrome Frame on IE6 (XP). It works fine for sites with a
meta header that turns it on. It also works fine if I enable it for
all sites through the registry (I found a small program that I can use
to toggle this).

But I use corporate websites that are NOT compatible with Chrome Frame
(I can't just turn it on all the time), so I want to use it ONLY with
the gcf: prefix. But this does not work.

For example:

gcf:http://www.google.com/

Gives me "This page cannot be displayed. The page you are looking for
is currently unavailable. The web site might be experiencing technical
difficulties or you may need to adjust your browser settings." etc etc
etc.

What can I do to make Chrome Frame work with the gcf: prefix?

(And yes when I go to Manage Add-Ons it says the Chrome Frame BHO is
Enabled)

Alex Russell

May 24, 2010, 12:03:33 PM5/24/10
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 8:57 AM, buckaroo_benzai <ben.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I installed Chrome Frame on IE6 (XP). It works fine for sites with a
> meta header that turns it on. It also works fine if I enable it for
> all sites through the registry (I found a small program that I can use
> to toggle this).
>
> But I use corporate websites that are NOT compatible with Chrome Frame
> (I can't just turn it on all the time), so I want to use it ONLY with
> the gcf: prefix. But this does not work.
>
> For example:
>
> gcf:http://www.google.com/
>
> Gives me "This page cannot be displayed. The page you are looking for
> is currently unavailable. The web site might be experiencing technical
> difficulties or you may need to adjust your browser settings." etc etc
> etc.
>
> What can I do to make Chrome Frame work with the gcf: prefix?

See the instructions here:

http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/chrome-frame-getting-started#TOC-Debugging-Tools

"To enable this testing feature, open regedit.exe and add a DWORD
value EnableGCFProtocol=1 under HKCU\Software\Google\ChromeFrame"

Regards

buckaroo_benzai

May 24, 2010, 12:17:21 PM5/24/10
to Google-chrome-frame
Thanks. Wow, everything I had read led me to believe that this
functionality was enabled by default. Glad it was a simple fix.

Alex Russell

May 24, 2010, 2:12:18 PM5/24/10
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:17 AM, buckaroo_benzai <ben.g...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks. Wow, everything I had read led me to believe that this
> functionality was enabled by default. Glad it was a simple fix.

At one point it was, so the confusion is understandable.

Regards