Facebook Connect + Chrome Frame fail.

Drew Covi

Nov 22, 2011, 2:51:46 PM11/22/11
to Google-chrome-frame
We've implemented chrome frame at http://standardizeyourself.com
following all guidelines, but still can not get facebook connect to
work. After airing the issue on the facebook dev forums theyve
concluded the resolution lies over here. It works perfectly in IE and
it works perfectly in Chrome.

Any reason it shouldnt work with chrome frame?

Alex Russell

Nov 28, 2011, 9:10:53 PM11/28/11
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com, Tobie Langel, Anantanarayanan Iyengar
Hey Drew,

So I just tried out the flow from this page:
http://www.standardizeyourself.com/upload

What I'm seeing is that (in IE 9 with GCF installed), Facebook Connect
attempts to pop up a new window/tab that *isn't* rendered in GCF. My
guess is that their scripts try to keep a window opener connection
alive to notify the original. That's probably not working thanks to:

http://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/chrome-frame-getting-started/differences-between-chrome-and-chrome-frame#TOC-Popup-windows

I'm not entirely sure what the resolution here needs to be.
Fundamentally, we want GCF to be owning this document too, and have an
opener relationship set with the content. The former can be done if FB
sends the GCF headers on the connect pages. But wiring up the
owner...I'm not sure where/how that'd happen. Ananta might know more
(cc'd).

Regards

Dan Fabulich

Nov 29, 2011, 2:22:39 PM11/29/11
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com, Tobie Langel, Anantanarayanan Iyengar
We worked around this problem by spawning a separate non-GCF pop-up to
launch the FB Connect pop-up; the non-GCF pop-ups communicated freely. Our
non-GCF pop-up used cookies to communicate with the rest of the GCF site.

Still, not pretty.

-Dan

Alex Russell wrote:

Alex Russell

Nov 30, 2011, 7:43:09 PM11/30/11
On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 11:22 AM, Dan Fabulich <d...@fabulich.com> wrote:
> We worked around this problem by spawning a separate non-GCF pop-up to
> launch the FB Connect pop-up; the non-GCF pop-ups communicated freely. Our
> non-GCF pop-up used cookies to communicate with the rest of the GCF site.
>
> Still, not pretty.

Yeah, that's pretty grotty. It seems better if there were some way to
pass a parameter to window.open that would effectively say "please
keep me in process" as there doesnt' seem to be any particular cue
that would let us know that you want an opener relationship today
given the wormhole messaging style that FB connect is apparently
using.