[google-chrome-frame:1144] Chrome Frame does not work.

agamemnus

May 19, 2010, 2:25:28 AM5/19/10
to Google-chrome-frame
I re-installed Chrome Frame in my IE6 browser again recently -- a few
weeks ago.

It just does not work (again). There is no speedup, many sites are
still broken just like they would for IE6, and newer things such as
canvas doesn't work.

Under plugins, it is listed as enabled:
Name: ChromeFrame BHO
File: npchrome_frame.dll

I am using XP, SP3.

What could the problem be?

Robert Shield

May 20, 2010, 9:55:45 AM5/20/10
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 2:25 AM, agamemnus <web...@flyingsoft.phatcode.net> wrote:
I re-installed Chrome Frame in my IE6 browser again recently -- a few
weeks ago.

It just does not work (again). There is no speedup, many sites are
still broken just like they would for IE6, and newer things such as
canvas doesn't work.

Under plugins, it is listed as enabled:
Name: ChromeFrame BHO
File: npchrome_frame.dll

I am using XP, SP3.

What could the problem be?

Even though the plugin is enabled, for Chrome Frame to be used the site you visit must opt in to using Chrome Frame by setting either a meta tag or an http header. You can tell whether a site has opted in by right clicking on the page and seeing if an "About Chrome Frame" menu item is displayed at the bottom of the context menu.

If you want to force Chrome Frame to be activated for all sites (regardless of whether they opt in) then this thread may be of assistance: https://groups.google.com/group/google-chrome-frame/browse_thread/thread/e688ef723915e9d1?pli=1

agamemnus

May 24, 2010, 1:47:09 AM5/24/10
to Google-chrome-frame
Thank you. That worked.

agamemnus

May 24, 2010, 7:55:53 PM5/24/10
to Google-chrome-frame
Actually, it does work now but I have a further problem. On almost
every page I load there is a perhaps .5 second delay and some sort of
image quickly loads -- I can't make it out. Then, the actual page
loads.

Sometimes, Chromeframe (and IE6) crashes with an error that says
"Chrome crashed" or something, like when loading some (not all)
Comcast news articles.

So now I can use Chromeframe, but pages actually seem to load slower
than either IE6 or Firefox...

Alex Russell

May 24, 2010, 8:13:30 PM5/24/10
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 4:55 PM, agamemnus
<web...@flyingsoft.phatcode.net> wrote:
> Actually, it does work now but I have a further problem. On almost
> every page I load there is a perhaps .5 second delay and some sort of
> image quickly loads -- I can't make it out. Then, the actual page
> loads.

It's likely the sad-tab image that's used as the background for
renderer processes so you can get feedback if they crash. We've got a
bug regarding these displaying when they shouldn't:

http://crbug.com/43482

> Sometimes, Chromeframe (and IE6) crashes with an error that says
> "Chrome crashed" or something, like when loading some (not all)
> Comcast news articles.

Hrm. That's a problem. Did you enable feedback to google when you
installed GCF? If so, we should be able to diagnose the crash when it
happens.

> So now I can use Chromeframe, but pages actually seem to load slower
> than either IE6 or Firefox...

We're still working to improve startup performance. That said, if
every page is rendering in GCF (particularly on IE6 for XP), you
shouldn't be seeing cold startup latency. What OS/IE are you running
on and what sort of hardware?

Regards

agamemnus

May 24, 2010, 10:27:48 PM5/24/10
to Google-chrome-frame
> It's likely the sad-tab image that's used as the background for
> renderer processes so you can get feedback if they crash. We've got a
> bug regarding these displaying when they shouldn't:

I see.

> Hrm. That's a problem. Did you enable feedback to google when you
> installed GCF? If so, we should be able to diagnose the crash when it
> happens.

I really don't remember any option like that..., but I'll keep an eye
out for any more crashing and see what happens... I don't remember if
there was any option on the actual crash.

> We're still working to improve startup performance. That said, if
> every page is rendering in GCF (particularly on IE6 for XP), you
> shouldn't be seeing cold startup latency. What OS/IE are you running
> on and what sort of hardware?

XP SP3, my graphics card is ATI X600XT, 1 gig ram (not using it all
when trying this thing), Pentium 4 3.4ghz w/hyperthreading (2 virtual
CPUs).

It could just be the flicker that makes it seem that way. Just ran a
little test with a canvas game I was working on a few months ago and
the framerate on IE6 is faster than on Firefox by a factor of 3-4, and
that's only a few frames lower than on Chrome "native".

Alex Russell

May 25, 2010, 10:46:59 AM5/25/10
to google-ch...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 7:27 PM, agamemnus
<web...@flyingsoft.phatcode.net> wrote:
>> It's likely the sad-tab image that's used as the background for
>> renderer processes so you can get feedback if they crash. We've got a
>> bug regarding these displaying when they shouldn't:
>
> I see.
>
>> Hrm. That's a problem. Did you enable feedback to google when you
>> installed GCF? If so, we should be able to diagnose the crash when it
>> happens.
>
> I really don't remember any option like that..., but I'll keep an eye
> out for any more crashing and see what happens... I don't remember if
> there was any option on the actual crash.
>
>> We're still working to improve startup performance. That said, if
>> every page is rendering in GCF (particularly on IE6 for XP), you
>> shouldn't be seeing cold startup latency. What OS/IE are you running
>> on and what sort of hardware?
>
> XP SP3, my graphics card is ATI X600XT, 1 gig ram (not using it all
> when trying this thing), Pentium 4 3.4ghz w/hyperthreading (2 virtual
> CPUs).
>
> It could just be the flicker that makes it seem that way.

I can understand how the flashing sad-tab might make it seem as though
something had gone wrong when in fact we're just firing up the
renderer process as intended.

> Just ran a
> little test with a canvas game I was working on a few months ago and
> the framerate on IE6 is faster than on Firefox by a factor of 3-4, and
> that's only a few frames lower than on Chrome "native".

If you right-click on the page and see an "About Google Chrome Frame"
menu item, then the page is being rendered in GCF (sounds like it is,
though).

Regards
Message has been deleted