Breadcrumbs are not secured?

Willem Karssenberg

Jan 3, 2011, 5:27:12 PM1/3/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
I think it's too bad that one can change others breadcrumbs by just changing the url!
I changed:
http://breadcrumb.googleusercontent.com/view?id=ag5nbGFiczIwLXBhdmxvdnIOCxIFU3RvcnkY2oOOAQw
in:
http://breadcrumb.googlelabs.com/read?id=ag5nbGFiczIwLXBhdmxvdnIOCxIFU3RvcnkY2oOOAQw
and was able to enter code!
So the breadcrumbs don't seem to be secured.
I really hope Google will do something about this!
In the meantime I suggest to all of you to make a backup of your coding.

Singularity Utopia

Jan 3, 2011, 6:39:12 PM1/3/11
to Google Breadcrumb Developers
Thanks for the warning, yes you are correct, people can edit the
breadcrumbs of other people. New data can be entered by anybody and
saved for the breadcrumb of anybody! The breadcrumbs are *completely
insecure*. I have now backed-up my breadcrumbs. Fingers crossed I hope
nobody vandalizes my breadcrumbs.

Simply by using the URL with "read" in it instead of "view" anyone can
edit the breadcrumb of anyone else.

Can someone contact Google about this asap?

Willem Karssenberg

Jan 4, 2011, 6:02:31 AM1/4/11
to Google Breadcrumb Developers
Well it's an Open Source project after all, but this is a littke bit
too open:-)

On 4 jan, 00:39, Singularity Utopia <singularity.uto...@yahoo.com>

Adam Blinkinsop

Jan 4, 2011, 12:53:48 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
Whoa, sorry about that! This was fixed, and apparently *un-*fixed by
mistake. Should be good now. Thanks for pinging the list!

(Open source note: We're working on getting the compiler itself
(Breadcrumb -> HTML+JS) available for everyone to use ASAP.)

--
Adam Blinkinsop <bli...@google.com>

Sarah Carr

Jan 4, 2011, 1:45:10 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
We're now open-sourced!

--
Sarah A. Carr
Instructional Designer

Johnson, Kurt L

Jan 4, 2011, 1:47:58 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
Woohoo! Thank you Adam! :)

--Kurt

Johnson, Kurt L

Jan 4, 2011, 1:48:30 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com

Woohoo! Sarah, you are my hero!

--Kurt

Jan 4, 2011, 1:52:07 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
We're heroic, awesome!

Ok, usage notes for the open source-ness:
* Code that's available is *everything you need* to write this stuff.
* However, it requires some things, namely:
* Python 2.4+ (haven't tested with 3.0 yet, but 2.6 should be good)
* PyParsing 1.5 (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyparsing)
* Markdown 2.0 (http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Markdown)
* bcc.py is a _library_, but if people think it'd be useful, I can make it
a command-line tool.

Johnson, Kurt L

Jan 4, 2011, 2:10:12 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
Yes you are! A command line tool would be even more awesome-er! :)
Thanks Adam!
--Kurt

Sarah Carr

Jan 4, 2011, 2:11:54 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
Kurt, you're just too kind.  We hope that it's useful!

Adam Blinkinsop

Jan 4, 2011, 3:33:13 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
Alright! bcc.py is now a command line tool:

$ bcc.py your-script.txt
Compiled 'your-script.txt' to 'your-script.txt.html'.

See https://code.google.com/p/google-breadcrumb/source/browse/src/bcc.py

Johnson, Kurt L

Jan 4, 2011, 3:35:41 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
And then it got even awesome-er-er! :) Thank you Adam!

Jan 4, 2011, 3:51:23 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
No problem. Let me know if you have issues with this working.

(You might run "python setup.py test" first.)

Willem Karssenberg

Jan 4, 2011, 4:45:10 PM1/4/11
to Google Breadcrumb Developers
Great news!
Will make a new blogpost about it on trendmatcher.nl

Willem Karssenberg

Jan 4, 2011, 5:36:56 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
Nice fix!
Now you can still open the code of someone's breadcrumb and copy it, but you cannot change the code and save it.
I like that because I learn a lot from breadcrumbs other people have made.
Compliment for the fast fix AND for bringing it to open source.

Adam Blinkinsop

Jan 4, 2011, 5:38:53 PM1/4/11
to google-brea...@googlegroups.com
Thanks!