App Gallery no longer available

MLTrim

Nov 4, 2010, 5:14:14 PM11/4/10
to Google App Engine
Do you know why App Gallery is no longer available?

http://appgallery.appspot.com

thanks
Michele

nickmilon

Nov 5, 2010, 4:44:32 PM11/5/10
to Google App Engine
This is not a good thing if it isn't down by a mistake or something.
Developers contributed there, then out of a sudden see their writings
disappearing !

MLTrim

Nov 5, 2010, 6:24:46 PM11/5/10
to Google App Engine
I know :-/, it's a brutal way to dismiss such a good service..
hope to see some explanation soon..

Michele

Sargis Dallakyan

Nov 5, 2010, 8:43:50 PM11/5/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I wish it could be restored too. I noticed that when my traffic went down for http://food-prints.appspot.com. Hope we'll get a message from GAE team as to why they shut it down.

On Friday, November 5, 2010 3:24:46 PM UTC-7, MLTrim wrote:
I know :-/, it's a brutal way to dismiss such a good service..
hope to see some explanation soon..

Michele

Julian Namaro

Nov 5, 2010, 11:17:24 PM11/5/10
to Google App Engine
An App Gallery is a great idea but Google's one looked like a weekend
project thrown out in the wild and was pretty useless.
There was a lot of spam, unhelpful reviews, and occasionally you could
see Desktop software (running only on Windows, not even cross-
plateform) with a whole bunch of 5-stars ratings in this "App Engine"
gallery.

My guess is that they're deprecating the gallery in favor of the
Chrome Web Store. Hope this will be a more serious attempt :]

nickmilon

Nov 6, 2010, 5:21:04 PM11/6/10
to Google App Engine
Julian: - I do agree that some contents of the gallery were garbage or
spam application not even running on GAE, along with some really cute
applications. . This was a real problem but instead of fixing it (not
a very difficult task) they just dropped it without notice.

Also the gallery was a kind of museum where you could see how GAE
appls have been evolved in time from the early days circa April 2008
till now, always advancing using new features of the platform or as
the features were understood by the developers.
Now if they even do substitute this with a new site I doubt early
developers will go and resubmit their work.
So I only hope Google reconsiders this, fixes the problems related to
spam and classification of appls and restore the site.

MLTrim

Nov 6, 2010, 5:59:53 PM11/6/10
to Google App Engine
We are on Google App Engine official group and nobody of Google Staff
has already clarified this odd thing;
that's weird!

Sargis Dallakyan

Nov 6, 2010, 7:24:03 PM11/6/10
On Saturday, November 6, 2010 2:21:04 PM UTC-7, nickmilon wrote:
Julian: - I do agree that some contents of the gallery were garbage or
spam application not even running on GAE, along with some really cute
applications. . This was a real problem but instead of fixing it (not
a very difficult task) they just dropped it without notice.

My guess is that this was done to generate more traffic towards Google Apps for Business Marketplace. Since App Gallery was no longer linked from the main site, it seems that instead of "don't be evil", they throw the baby out with the bath water. I appreciate the hard work GEA team did to build the App Gallery; it really needed more attention to make it spam free. I would like to hear from other developers as well. Maybe if enough developers would notice this and voice they concern, they might consider restoring the site temporarily until further notice. Cheers!

Sam Lores

Nov 6, 2010, 10:12:30 PM11/6/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I tried to look at the Chrome Web Store, but it is still in demo mode. there is no browsable apps there. the question now is Google going to clarify what becomes of the app gallery, I noticed that they even removed it from the search engine

Julian Namaro

Nov 8, 2010, 2:53:05 AM11/8/10
to Google App Engine
I think a specific "App Engine" tag in a general Web App Gallery would
make more sense than what we had before.
After all, what you can do with App Engine is pretty much the same
than what you can do with other technology stacks, and much of what
the user experiences is the common client-side part anyway.

Tonny

Nov 8, 2010, 4:03:48 AM11/8/10
to Google App Engine
I you wan't to emphasize the importance of this thread, please mark is
a favorite - I tink Google Engineers are monitoring those for
importance.

Ikai Lan (Google)

Nov 8, 2010, 2:04:59 PM11/8/10
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

Apologies for the delayed responses on this thread. The App Gallery was something that was really awesome in App Engine's infancy, but App Engine has since matured a bit and it's really not the best way to showcase App Engine's capabilities. We've decommissioned it. If you're interested in App Engine happenings, you'll definitely want to regularly check out our Reddit page:

We should have better communicated our intents with this page. We're unlikely to bring the App Gallery back. I'd personally love to see an App Engine application that serves the function the App Gallery served, maybe one that even uses the Prediction API (http://code.google.com/apis/predict/) to sort out the spam and do rankings. If this is a project community members are interested in taking on, let me know and I'll get you access to the prediction API.

On a related note, due to the changes coming in Google Groups, we will be porting the Open Source projects page as well as the "Will it Play" Java frameworks page to our Project Hosting site:

--
Ikai Lan

john

Nov 9, 2010, 9:53:06 AM11/9/10
to Google App Engine
Thanks for the info.

In terms of checking the Reddit page for updates, I don't see any
article there with App Gallery in the title. Is there some
announcement about dropping it there? If so, would someone please post
a link to it?

Dropping the App Gallery isn't big deal to me, as I hadn't looked at
it in weeks or probably months. If I knew it was going away, however,
I'm sure I would have taken one last look at my app pages.

It is a little disconcerting to find out from other developers that
Google changed something. A short note to this newsgroup would have
been nice.

On Nov 8, 2:04 pm, "Ikai Lan (Google)" <ikai.l+gro...@google.com>
wrote:
> > .

Jay

Dec 18, 2010, 8:50:04 PM12/18/10
to Google App Engine
Ikai, I think I may be able to spend some time on a user space version
of app engine gallery over the coming months. I think the prediction
API is a great idea to use as a tool to help fight the spam. We shall
see.

Thanks for your assistance.

-- Jay