AppEngine starts new instances without need for them

Milan Aleksic

May 4, 2011, 4:39:35 AM5/4/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

I am a subscriber for "Always On" option on Google AppEngine. I do not understand why does GAE have to start new instances when there are already "Always On" instances that are turned on and that do nothave big number of requests at that time.

This drives me crazy since it nullifies what I get with the AlwaysOn subscription. Any ideas how to fix this behavior? I have latency problems because of this which I wanted to remove by using AlwaysOn. I am thinking of cancelling subscription since it just does not work.

Matija

May 4, 2011, 6:28:20 AM5/4/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
If any system always checks for every available resources it can't scale up easily. Remember single counter and sharded counters.

I think that they use sharded counters (or something like that) for instance availability. That is why sometimes they use 'always on' instances and sometimes not.

Ikai Lan (Google)

May 4, 2011, 4:24:30 PM5/4/11
to Google App Engine
Do you have "threadsafe" set to true? If you do not, each instance will only handle a single request at a time.

Ikai Lan

Milan Aleksic

May 5, 2011, 3:49:34 AM5/5/11
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I moved to 1.4.3 (from 1.4.2), added threadsafe element... and I
believe after couple of hours of testing that you just solved my
issue!
Thanks for clearing up this behavior!

Milan Aleksic
http://www.milanaleksic.net