App names

Shane

Jun 4, 2009, 9:48:23 AM6/4/09
to Google App Engine
Hi,

I just registered my first app ID, and it was rejected. A pretty
obscure one too. So I tried another, and that was taken too. So I
just tried typing all sorts of random ID's in and they were all taken!

Is it possible that domains are being camped on? Would Google allow
this?

- frustrated.

Shane

Wooble

Jun 4, 2009, 10:14:35 AM6/4/09
to Google App Engine
App Engine IDs share a namespace with Gmail accounts; the problem
isn't people grabbing app IDs and not use them; the problem is that
there are tons of Gmail accounts, and anyone can register as many as
they want to for free.

If you use your own domain via Google Apps, your app ID is completely
irrelevant anyway.

bsau...@gmail.com

Jun 4, 2009, 10:03:19 AM6/4/09
to Shane, google-a...@googlegroups.com
I think the naming rules are misleading - the name requires a number and lower case letters, so it may just be rejecting it becuase any name with just letters gets kicked back.

I put a 1 at the end - your domain name can still point to it.

good luck

Benjamin Sautner

Jun 4, 2009, 10:21:28 AM6/4/09
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
i'm sorry geoffspear is correct, my last response wasn't, i entered in some garbage chars and it was available - i was under that impression becuase i thought my names were too obscure to be taken. Ah well.

thanks

Shane

Jun 4, 2009, 8:14:49 PM6/4/09
to Google App Engine
Ah, the shared namespace (annoyingly) explains it. I don't see how
they're related at all, especially given you you can use a different
email to sign up for Google App Engine. Of course collisions are
going to occur left, right and centre.

Anyway, I've pointed my own domain at the app anyway, so as you say,
it doesn't really matter. It's just slightly annoying.

Cheers,
Shane