Anyone happy with the new pricing?

Raymond C.

May 11, 2011, 1:55:45 AM5/11/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I believe everyone who have been using GAE for their business have been using it because we have faint on Google that Google will make it a great service for us.

Not much people complained about the HR new pricing because we had a choice to stay at the current one.
Now the pricing is going to go up for a few times to what we have been paying and we DONT have a choice.  We used to care about our code only to make it consume as few CPU as possible.  Now we are going to calculate how to minimize the cost without angering our consumer for having not enough instances.

We chose to lockup ourself within the GAE infra-struture in the past because we believed in Google.  Now what we get in return?

(I still love the GAE team but sorry, I am really disappointed about the new pricing before Google can show us how good it is for us.)

Brandon Wirtz

May 11, 2011, 2:09:58 AM5/11/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com

I banked on everything costing 50-100% more.  (1.5-2x) that’s what “Beta” kind of means.  I currently trust that Google won’t price themselves out of the market, and GAE will be on par with EC2/AWS or Rackspace Cloud.  But I expect that with GAE there will be less hands on knowledge of the operating environment needed so at same pricing I can win on administration costs.

Jeff Schnitzer

May 11, 2011, 4:04:16 AM5/11/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
The worst part is the present uncertainty.

* How many instances will I need to service N requests per second?
* Will that number change significantly because of things out of my
control like running on a hot server?
* What datastore operations will cost how much?

I'm not surprised by a price increase - hell, I'm surprised it took
this long to materialize. I don't love the new structure though, it
seems harder than ever to figure out what my application is going to
cost. I would personally rather that Google kept the pay-for-cpu-ms
approach (even if it's largely a bunch of magic numbers) and just
increase the price to whatever is "sustainable".

I *am* a little worried about Google pricing themselves out of the
(read: my) market. Presumably they want to capture as much revenue as
possible from the folks with high monetization-per-request traffic
like Best Buy and WebFiling, but there is no longer a separate "App
Engine for Business" offering to segment the market. If GAE is priced
efficiently (in a purely economic sense), it could very well be too
high to accomodate those of us squeaking by with freemium or
advertising-based businesses. This is somewhat ironic since one of
the things that makes GAE great is that it scales out to "fad facebook
app of the week" traffic so easily.

I fear that there isn't enough competitive pressure on the price -
Google really could charge whatever the market will bear, and some
parts of the market will probably be willing to bear quite a lot.
Unfortunately nobody else has a PaaS product that comes even close to
measuring up. My sincere hope is that Amazon makes Elastic Beanstalk
a much better product than it currently is, not because I want to use
it, but because I want Google to feel less certain that they can
charge a premium rate. (Sorry Google, I hope we can still be friends)

Incidentally, I migrated off of GAE Backends (formerly "servers")
post-beta because the announced price is 6X (that's s-i-x) the
comparable equivalent from Amazon or Rackspace. I don't have a
strategy for migrating off GAE Frontends because there is no
comparable equivalent anywhere :-(

Jeff

Martin Webb

May 11, 2011, 6:51:05 AM5/11/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
I like so many of us have spent a lot of time learning app engine - i have been worried like so many that using app engine is a mistake because any app you invest/build can only be run on... app engine. Recently i read a post about vc's not willing to invest in app engine products as the risk is too hign; ie. anyone investing in a company who's software/app is app engine based is investing in a; the company b; app engine. Not that i need a vc, or investment, it made me re-think the issue that if google change the service, close the service, re price the service i have no where else to run my app.

I think this (new monetizing schema) its not a price change, demonstrates that all of us supporting this product are a little foolish, this was voice back in 2009 in a number of blogs that slated app engine, one of the 10 reasons not to use app engine was the fact that unlike amazon/ other cloud offerings you cant take your business anywhere else.

I now like a lot of us fill a little foolish in spending so much time on this project, now having what is first hand experience that "google" can and will just change the goal posts in a manner that could close/kill my app.

What i would like to make clear is that the issue is not price it's that what google has done here is change the way they charge for the product, and since their is no other competitor their is no where else to go.

Which when said like that does make us all look rather foolish as the whole point of web apps is portability and ease of access.

That said i love python, love app engine and strangely love the simplicity of big table.

Im just not sure if that love is a more a hobby one or a business one.

Regards

Martin Webb

The information contained in this email is confidential and may contain proprietary information. It is meant solely for the intended recipient. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorised. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or omitted in reliance on this, is prohibited and may be unlawful. No liability or responsibility is accepted if information or data is, for whatever reason corrupted or does not reach its intended recipient. No warranty is given that this email is free of viruses. The views expressed in this email are, unless otherwise stated, those of the author

May 11, 2011, 6:58:50 AM5/11/11
to google-a...@googlegroups.com
Extremely concerned about the pricing changes that are coming to App
Engine. As mentioned by others, a (nominal) increase is not such a big
concerns as compared to changes in the way the billing is done.

Hard to believe that they (Google) had many people (paying customers)
clamoring for changes to the existing billing model (as they seem to
suggest in the blog post) !!